• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Winter 2024 Daily Streaming Reviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:55 am Reply with quote
Definitely a little sad (but not surprised, considering past polls) that the new Precure didn't get in, though my biggest disappointment is probably Cherry Magic not making it in. On a more positive note, even though I voted for it I didn't expect Bang Brave Bang Braven to make it in at all, due to the delayed simulcast, so I'm really happy about that one. Also really happy to see Nick get Sengoku Youko and Bucchigiri?!
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:15 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I voted on The Fire Hunter S2, partly because I do view it as an ambitious, if ridiculously messy & occasionally incomprehensible production trainwreck, but to the shock of no-one it didn't get voted in. Shame that. While I doubt many viewers or reviewers are going to be walking away from that show with a net positive, I still do feel it was given a short shrift, both by its own staff & with a writers unable & unwilling to even remotely attempt to tackle the show on its own terms.

On a related note, it looks like The Fire Hunter S2 isn't showing up on the Your Score page right now. Could someone please fix this?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:53 am Reply with quote
It's there, 12 places down from the top currently. Below Fluffy Paradise.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
I'm quite satisfied with this selection.

It's a good news that Sengoku Youko was selected, it didn't seem that popular so I wasn't sure it could get enough votes. On the other hand, I'm not surprised Unwanted Undead wasn't selected after a mid first episode filled by info dump.

The big surprise is seing Urusei Yatsura coming back in the reviews.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
Shame Ishura didn't make it. They both seemed to be quite a bit different than your usual isekai (unironically this time) with basically playing out like an isekai Baccano/DRRR!!!
Glad the Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic made it tho. Enjoyed the first ep quite a bit.

Kinda of shocked James is reviewing Chained Soldier, was expecting Nick on that if made the list. lol
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:25 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
T3rmidor wrote:
Meh, most of the ones I will be watching didn't make the cut. Is really surprising how packed this season is yet how many average shows there are. Maybe id time to expand the reviwer staff to keep up with the spam rate of new shows?

The limit on how many shows are covered for weekly reviews isn't set by the amount of writers available, but by how much interest is shown by readers in the poll. If a show doesn't make the cut, it's because it didn't get enough votes for it to be worth the editorial resources to cover it weekly. It's why the number of shows covered varies slightly season-to-season. More reviewers wouldn't mean more shows getting cover, it just means each writer would cover fewer shows individually.
Ah okay, thanks for clearing my misunderstanding. So it isn't a zero sum game vote, but instead tally according to number of votes, and if they clear athe cut , they get a review? Good to know about future votings as I was choosing a very limited option selection .
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:00 am Reply with quote
Yay Very Happy ! All of the shows I voted for got picked! First time in a while that's happened.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
Will be missing the snarky reviews for the harem antics of Tales of Wedding Rings, but I'm surprised Sasaki and Peeps and Hokkaido Gals didn't squeak through.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:41 pm Reply with quote
T3rmidor wrote:
Ah okay, thanks for clearing my misunderstanding. So it isn't a zero sum game vote, but instead tally according to number of votes, and if they clear athe cut , they get a review?

There have been very rare exceptions to that over the years that ANN has done streaming reviews, but your statement is true probably more than 99% of the time. The site has even, in rare cases, resorted to streaming sources not available in North America to make weekly reviews happen when there's enough interest in a title. (The one that most immediately comes to mind on that is Interspecies Reviewers, after Funimation infamously dumped it after the first couple of episodes.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Shame Ishura didn't make it. They both seemed to be quite a bit different than your usual isekai (unironically this time) with basically playing out like an isekai Baccano/DRRR!!!
Glad the Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic made it tho. Enjoyed the first ep quite a bit.

Kinda of shocked James is reviewing Chained Soldier, was expecting Nick on that if made the list. lol

I too am sad that Ishura didn't get in, but I'm honestly looking forward to covering Chained Soldier, since I can't remember the last time I got to write about some good old fashioned, shameless trash (The Pink Gorilla Anime doesn't count!)

Also, to chime in with what others have already said, nobody here is being forced at gunpoint to watch stuff that they actively cannot stand. We're critics, which means we genuinely enjoy getting to write about and discuss art and media, and that includes when it is stuff we don't love, or don't think accomplishes what it set out to do. Negative or middling reviews are just as important as the positive ones, even if they don't make every reader that disgarees feel extra super validated or whatever.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm not seeing The Fire Hunter anywhere on this page or weeks 2 or 3.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Also, to chime in with what others have already said, nobody here is being forced at gunpoint to watch stuff that they actively cannot stand. We're critics, which means we genuinely enjoy getting to write about and discuss art and media, and that includes when it is stuff we don't love, or don't think accomplishes what it set out to do. Negative or middling reviews are just as important as the positive ones, even if they don't make every reader that disgarees feel extra super validated or whatever.

Fully agreed, and I'll also add that I have always found reviews of bad shows easier to write than reviews of middle-of-the-road shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:18 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I didn't even know those pages existed, and I still can't figure out where you found them. This is what I've always used, under the New Anime tab in the blue menu bar.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I didn't even know those pages existed, and I still can't figure out where you found them. This is what I've always used, under the New Anime tab in the blue menu bar.

Strange. I wonder if the default option previously was by the anime season's week rather than by actual week, because the pages I have been using are the same except for the end of the URL. I'll use the by actual week page going forward.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Strange. I wonder if the default option previously was by the anime season's week rather than by actual week, because the pages I have been using are the same except for the end of the URL. I'll use the by actual week page going forward.

Yeah, I noticed that on your Week 1 link, it runs from 1/1 to 1/14, so it seems like it should've been on that page (as well as some other titles). But I'm really curious, where did you find that link? I've looked through all the links under the Encyclopedia tab and still can't get there. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5