• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Quite frankly, the trick its nonsensical.

I am sure Lawrence knows how many grams of pepper he bought, lets say he bought 5kg, in order for the trick to be worth the risk it would need to be like a 5-10% difference.

You telling me that if Holo didn't realice the problem Lawrence is just going to accept that between 250 and 500 grams of it just disappeared?

Even if he only bought 1kg we are talking 50 to 100 grams, that's actually a lot since pepper is quite light...

Dunno, the series has been decently smart until now, but I feel it dropped the ball here, had I written the scene I would have made Lawrence exchange black pepper for another good.

"I will give you 50 grams or myrrh for each 100 grams of black pepper" or somethin like that, now the tilt is useful since Lawrence thinks he is getting 2.5kg of myrrh instead of 2.25kg.

I couldn't quite remember how this goes in the book, so I went back and looked it up. It's much the same but perhaps slightly clearer on the mechanics. (LN spoilers, but only for this exchange: ) They don't measure in standard units exactly... The trader uses a single counter weight, and then parcel up the pepper according to that weight (Lawrence has 45). It seems he doesn't now how much in he has in the traders units. He tracks only the value of the goods. He bought "1000 silver" of pepper, not "1438g" of it. The trader then also stiffs him on the exchange rate between the gold and Lawrence's currency of choice (Trenni Silver). Lawrence thinks it's low but within the realms of possibility given the nature of the town they're in. The final price gives Lawrence a profit that he thinks is on the low side of decent (it's about 45%) so he accepts it.

So it seems that just as there is a proliferation of currencies in this setting, each region perhaps has its own weights and measures, so travelling merchants don't bother with them much, caring only about the bottom line. This of course opens them to this sort of scam, making it worthwhile for the trader to invest in a doctored set of scales and a rigged table. Locals who would know the correct weight in the local units, get the other scales and a flat table. The trader probably doesn't skim off much, not enough to be noticeable amongst the changes of units and currencies, but it's free money on every deal he does with outsiders.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Nora is so cute and wholesome. It's easy to forget compared to her recent roles how cute Mai Nakahara can sound, but she's still got it. Though even if Nora wasn't a shepherd, Holo will not be outdone as being the cutest girl in Lawrence's life.

That Holo laugh when Lawrence tried to pass himself off as a smooth talker with the ladies was infectious. Especially because it seemed to go on for five minutes.

Enek and Holo giving each other side-eye "I know what you are" "you want to make something of it?"

I know this is only just the beginning of a long series but while Lawrence basically treated it as a joke, I can't help but wonder whether him talking about them getting hitched and his his homelands' marriage practices was foreshadowing a marriage arc and him introducing Holo to his surrogate father in business. Though he could probably do without her hearing all his embarrassing stories.

Looks like this armor is going to bring Lawrence more problems.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 5:49 pm Reply with quote
"I totally forget what the economics lesson in this volume is"

As somebody new to this franchise, I can say that the theme of these episodes have been "Connections" and how to properly create them, maintain them and treasure them.

- First, the scammer, Lawrence is either not gonna never deal with him again or exploide him forever.
- Second, the shepherd, Lawrence himself explain how he is investing in the future her by treating her well.
- Third, the guy in the empty guild, he obviously has no connections and his business sucks.
- Fourth, Lawrence's "father", they have a great relationship and we are should how good of a memory for people he has, crucial for a business man.

As the 57th Rule of Acquisition says: "Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them."
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:57 pm Reply with quote
In fairness to Lawrence, he usually has more financial sense than Roger Fox:

Daerian

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lawrence is hesitant to bring Holo into his guild house because having a woman business partner is basically unheard of. His last resort rejects him because he thinks Lawrence is living in sin.

It's not a problem of "living in sin" for a lot people we have seen - a lot of these people think that Lawrence is going around asking for money while having paid mistress wearing very high-quality clothing (that he must have bought for her) with him. And if he is not willing to let go of his paid mistress, how dares he ask for money?

Because that's how they see Holo - not as his business partner, but as long term paid lover. It's combination of societal prejudices, sexism, jealousy and in some cases, "holier than you" attitude.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:34 pm Reply with quote
This episode really put into perspective just how cuthroat and dangerous the life of a merchant can be. One wrong business move and you can lose not only your status but also your livelihood and freedom, and no one will offer you charity to get you out of it.

"Just claim I'm your lover!" I mean, you already warded off guys flirting with her...she's as much your work wife as your real wife at this point. Though we're probably way ways from a point where they're willing to admit that about each other.

I understand why Lawrence reacted the way he did even if Holo just wanted to help...but nothing says "rock bottom" like her walking away from him after he upset her.

I wonder if Lawrence can figure something out with Nora that benefits the both of them and sticks it to the church. Them canceling the expedition is what screwed Lawrence over and they're monopolizing Nora while forcing her to continue working in more dangerous areas.
Florete

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:53 am Reply with quote
Small detail, but I like how when his cart full of armor is referred to as a "debt" Lawrence immediately understands what that means without having to question it. It goes to show how well he knows the system.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
Quote:
Lawrence is hesitant to bring Holo into his guild house because having a woman business partner is basically unheard of. His last resort rejects him because he thinks Lawrence is living in sin.

It's not a problem of "living in sin" for a lot people we have seen - a lot of these people think that Lawrence is going around asking for money while having paid mistress wearing very high-quality clothing (that he must have bought for her) with him. And if he is not willing to let go of his paid mistress, how dares he ask for money?

Because that's how they see Holo - not as his business partner, but as long term paid lover. It's combination of societal prejudices, sexism, jealousy and in some cases, "holier than you" attitude.

Yeah, there may have been that judgment around his relationship with Holo, but it didn't matter much at the time because it would have gotten in the way of business. Now that he is resorting to begging for favors, he is getting the "But you can afford a smartphone" treatment. Lawrence isn't presenting them with a decent business opportunity, so they feel free to say what they were thinking.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
"schadenfreude"

Man... Where did you pull that word from?
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
"schadenfreude"

Man... Where did you pull that word from?

From Germany. That said, I don't think it is a particularly uncommon word in English diction. Mostly because there's no good equivalent for the concept in the language.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4