• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yasuke

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
I rarely read reviews here on ANN, I didn't read and don't plan to read the review. I'm here just because this is the thread to comment about this anime that I watched, that's it.

I wish people stopped talking so much about other anime and other's tastes. Can we just talk about Yasuke and judge it by it's merits?
I tried to give examples about why I don't think this anime is well made and how it affects the enjoyment, can we stop talking about other anime peoples and talk more about Yasuke?

Alright mate here it goes:

Panino Manino wrote:
At lease it surprised... I wasn't expecting that they would make the scenario of the sengoku war so much a "cultural war", and they would even use the tired "gay villain gay bad" card.

I take it this is about Oda Nobunaga, since no one else showed same-sex interest.
Legend has it that Oda Nobunaga had an sexual relationship with Mori Ranmaru:
https://historum.com/threads/did-oda-nobunaga-have-a-sexual-relationship-mori-ranmaru.45750/

Panino Manino wrote:
You know, I didn't expect it to be an "actual history", but I didn't expect so many lasers and robots (along with magic). I think I watched the trailer without paying much attention and don't remember seeing any of this.
And what about all those machinery artifacts buried in the ground? So random and was there just to look "cool" (it didn't). Like other pointed already there was zero sense of place and time in this ting, overall the conflict was very incoherent, without much logic and reason.

Why are there lasers and robots? Why not? It's suspension of disbelieve. The very first scene in the series shows a feudal japan at war with armored robotic suits, mechas, telekinetic powers. So it's established in the VERY FIRST SCENE that this is a title that's a fantastical/sci fi take on Feudal Japan. I don't understand why you are complaining other then it doesn't suit your taste or does not fit your frame of reference.

Again cultural context, Nobunaga is a character that is popular with sci fi/fantastical takes.
And why was it not featured in the flashbacks? It was explained that the mongol invasion inbetween the present and the past brought new technology to the battlefield (Mongol being outsiders bringing in 'alien' = foreign technology).

You don't want me to bring up other titles, but this is where it is impossible not to talk about those titles that did the same thing in the late 80s/early 90s. (different titles doing the same thing:)

It's a catered to people who enjoy this particular take on feudal Japan. In none of these is it particularly established why feudal japan has machinery. It just takes the assumption that people are familiar that Oda Nobunaga dealt with foreign technology and believes (altho he dodged every time they wanted to baptize him, he just wanted to upset the establishment by taking on foreign influence). And those foreign influences felt like sci-fi/fantastical to many people that it shapes a distorted sense of perception. Which create grander fantastical takes on our world (see religious literature). That's why those late 80s/early 90s series did those. And that's the spirit that Yasuke wants to capture. So all in all maybe you are just not the intended target group.

Panino Manino wrote:
While I continued watching the only thing that I was fearing that didn't happened was they reveal that the "Damiyo" was the mythical Empress Himiko. Wasn't her, but the actual reveal was worse.
Seriously, the big villain was an old rugged woman that wanted to live more? And the way she could do this was to suck the life of a young fair maiden? And said maiden was the big savior against the corrupted women? Oh Satan, give me patience.

That's the problem.
Is not that the anime is bad, that the story is bad. If it was just bad, ok, we watch and forget. But can we point that there where a lot of "wrong" things in this?

The main villain, the Daimyo is a Jorōgumo. a Spider lady yokai. There's not a lot established as in backstory, because a Jorōgumo is generally just an evil critter.

Maybe a weak excuse for a villain, her character design for her true form was cool tho which is in tune with 90s OVA villains. Cool design first, backstories second.

As for the general Lone Wolf & Cub-esque storyline, yes it's not as great as it's inspiration for that particular storyline. And that's generally because Saki ain't no Daigorō for sure. She whines to much, opens her mouth too often. The great thing for Daigorō is that he shuts his mouth, making him not annoying. Saki, yea, she's annoying and not great, also her power, yes that part I agree, could've been explained better. But all in all i get what type of story they went for, and the execution is so-so.

Panino Manino wrote:
Can't say I'm disappointed because what could anyone expect from something made by westerners about japan (and it's "culture")?

And this is my main take on the defense. Your offensive to this title because a fella from outside of Japan is in the directors seat. Cannon Busters wasn't great. But then again Im not the biggest fan of early 2000s anime sensibilities like Trigun, so maybe im not the intended target group. But Yasuke suited my taste much better, and it was fine! Japanese or a Gaijin in the directors seat, it doesn't mattter.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

And I'm sure all the people fussing about historical accuracy also had similar complaints about Sengoku Basara, and basically every anime ever made about Oda Nobunaga, right?

I haven't finished the show yet, i'm only on episode three and i have enjoyed it so far. But, to be honest the mechas just kind of don't mesh with the rest of the series. And i don't say this in terms of "i wanted it to be more historically accurate", i don't really care about that. I'm an avid fan of Sengoku anime, Sengoku Basara is one of my all time favorites, and Nobunaga the Fool is trash but it is *my* trash. But if you compare those shows to Yasuke, the setting matched the more outlandish stuff. Sengoku Basara and Nobunaga the Fool have crazy super powers and giant mechas but the characters are also wearing eccentric outfits, have wild personalities and ridiculously over the top weapons and castles.

In Yasuke, the setting, the characters, their clothes, the houses, the environment, everything looks very grounded. Yasuke himself has a quiet personality and the average fighting style is regular sword fighting. I think the supernatural stuff works in this setting, but the mechas don't feel like they belong here. Maybe my perception will change once i finish the show, but so far that's maybe the one thing that doesn't really click with me.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
loempiavreter wrote:
And this is my main take on the defense. Your offensive to this title because a fella from outside of Japan is in the directors seat. Cannon Busters wasn't great. But then again Im not the biggest fan of early 2000s anime sensibilities like Trigun, so maybe im not the intended target group. But Yasuke suited my taste much better, and it was fine! Japanese or a Gaijin in the directors seat, it doesn't mattter.

I think that's an expected criticism. A westerner attempting to educate people on Japan's own history and culture could easily be interpreted as being in bad taste, if not outright cultural appropriation. Given the discourse from comparisons between Raya and the Last Dragon and Avatar the Last Bender recently, it certainly seems like a topic a lot of people would take issue with in this day and age for people of non-Asian heritage attempting to speak and mold history for Asian people.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:00 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
loempiavreter wrote:

I think that's an expected criticism. A westerner attempting to educate people on Japan's own history and culture could easily be interpreted as being in bad taste, if not outright cultural appropriation. Given the discourse from comparisons between Raya and the Last Dragon and Avatar the Last Bender recently, it certainly seems like a topic a lot of people would take issue with in this day and age for people of non-Asian heritage attempting to speak and mold history for Asian people.

Is it though? We are talking about the perspective from an african mercenary or enslaved person (depending on which one of the myth is true). I think Lesean Thomas as a black american has more discourse to tell the story of an african person than a sole japanese team (also given the legacy of unsensitive portayals of african descendent characters in japanese media). Let's get it straight that the animation team was still for most part Japanese. We've got the likes of Koike in there. It's a collaboration.
yuricon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
Mr Boobo wrote:
You guys should do a story on how LeSean Thomas essentially stole $150K+ from his kickstarter backers for his last Netflix project. Until that is put right I don't think I want to support someone who has done that kind of damage to the community (over 2.2K people).

You mean the Kickstarter which shipped last month? It's a non-story.

People not understanding Kickstarter isn't an interesting story. It's *not* a pre-order. It's you backing a project. This project was made (which is what people gave money for,) then rights were picked up, so licensing and production slowed it down, but it's been shipped, so...no story.
yuricon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote
I've literally been waiting to watch Yasuke until after I read Mercedez' review of it. I'm glad she enjoyed it and now I'm looking forward to watching it! Thanks for the great review.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 am Reply with quote
For anyone still interested in learning more about Yasuke, there will be a free lecture this month.

https://www.jfny.org/event/yasuke-the-african-who-became-a-samurai/

Quote:
Professor Thomas Lockley will tell the amazing story of Yasuke, a man from Africa who served and fought beside Japan’s infamous warlord Oda Nobunaga and became the first foreign-born samurai. When Nobunaga was assassinated, Yasuke stayed by his lord until the end, and is traditionally held to have rescued the severed head from capture. Afterward, the real Yasuke faded from history, but his legacy was revived as an anti-imperial icon in the 20th century and a media giant in the 21st.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I think some could use a timeout to chill out. Espousing how consumers will buy anything their right wing nationalist masters shove at them is ignorant on many levels just in it's own right. Plus some people can't seem to just agree to disagree and keep soapboxing the same points over and over. So how about people relax and chill some. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5