• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Winter 2024 Daily Streaming Reviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
Strange. I wonder if the default option previously was by the anime season's week rather than by actual week, because the pages I have been using are the same except for the end of the URL. I'll use the by actual week page going forward.

Yeah, I noticed that on your Week 1 link, it runs from 1/1 to 1/14, so it seems like it should've been on that page. But I'm really curious, where did you find that link? I've looked through all the links under the Encyclopedia tab and still can't get there. Smile

No idea. I remember stumbling across it and I just kept using it after that. Maybe someone else on the forum posted that link?

As for why it isn't on the seasonal page, I'd guess that there's an invisible property that isn't set that specifies which season the show belongs to (it wasn't known for a while), but that's just speculation. I haven't contributed to the encyclopedia, aside from rating stuff.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, a few of my picks made it, and the main two I think I'm watching were given decent marks in the previews by James.
Essedess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I wish Japan would slow down with making new series. It's becoming way too overwhelming. Do we really need to have... checks list... over 50 series airing at the same time?
Snowcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Essedess wrote:
I wish Japan would slow down with making new series. It's becoming way too overwhelming. Do we really need to have... checks list... over 50 series airing at the same time?

I also think it's overproduction and lot of work/talent is going to waste in the process. I would be happy with half the number of series and the animator getting paid double.
It's also bad for the audience because there are a lot older shows that deserve to be watched by newcomers in the anime fandom and the flood of new production can be a distraction.
I will watch Sengoku Youko and Inuyasha to have a feodal japan/winter 2024 season Very Happy
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Im a little saddened by Tsukimichi not getting a slot. I would of likes some critic feedback to some of the more controversial content that we where about to embark on. Not redo of healer levels of controversial but enough for me to wonder why moral implications where not addressed in the source.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Zomb1e13 wrote:
Honestly, gushing shouldn't have even been an option. The staff have already been pretty clear on how they feel about the show and the reviewers time would have been better spent on something else.

I am sure ANN had the option to not cover it if they wished to.

I'm fairly certain that's not what the user meant. I think they're just understanbly not excited at the possible prospect of hate-watching reviews. Those are always frankly a waste of time and only benefit those who already dislike the show and are therefore uninterested, while those who care are ignored at best and mocked at worst.

Though, this is obviously all hypothetical. I hope the reviewer who got chosen did not hate the premiere and will provide a constructive perspective.

Since the staff of reviewers that ANN employs are not part of a secret hive mind, there is a fair chance for a reviewer to take it seriously and/or make it enjoyable at the same time. Zac in particular had the talent to make you laugh as he tore apart your favorite anime.

Essedess wrote:

One of the biggest complaints from anime fans in the past, was that their one particular thing was not represented in anime from Japan. Now we have a wealth of options for everyone. Now if you are a anime fan that just has to watch everything, well that indeed can be a burden, but I think most people just watch what interests them.

Another way of looking at it, is that anime is just a reflection of cable and streaming TV. There are soooo many cable and streaming channels, that you could literally not know about some trending shows, especially if you are not watching shows that talk about trending shows and actors.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm sure some shows are fun to tear apart, but looking at MrAJCosplay's review of Shield Hero 3x12, or especially Jacki Jing's review of The Kingdoms of Ruin ep12, I really do not get the sense they're enjoying the work. And, sure, writing reviews is a job, and every season's a mix of turds and gems… but part of me still wishes everything could be as enjoyable to review as Grant Jones, James Beckett, Richard Eisenbeis, and Nicholas Dupree clearly find writing about FotNS, Vinland Saga, Frieren, and Hyakkano.

Well. That's life, I guess. And I've seen enough critics talk about how rewarding it can be to take apart why something doesn't work to recognize that that's a thing too.
Otcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Gnarth wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Zomb1e13 wrote:
Honestly, gushing shouldn't have even been an option. The staff have already been pretty clear on how they feel about the show and the reviewers time would have been better spent on something else.

I am sure ANN had the option to not cover it if they wished to.

I'm fairly certain that's not what the user meant. I think they're just understanbly not excited at the possible prospect of hate-watching reviews. Those are always frankly a waste of time and only benefit those who already dislike the show and are therefore uninterested, while those who care are ignored at best and mocked at worst.

Though, this is obviously all hypothetical. I hope the reviewer who got chosen did not hate the premiere and will provide a constructive perspective.

Since the staff of reviewers that ANN employs are not part of a secret hive mind, there is a fair chance for a reviewer to take it seriously and/or make it enjoyable at the same time. Zac in particular had the talent to make you laugh as he tore apart your favorite anime.

Essedess wrote:

One of the biggest complaints from anime fans in the past, was that their one particular thing was not represented in anime from Japan. Now we have a wealth of options for everyone. Now if you are a anime fan that just has to watch everything, well that indeed can be a burden, but I think most people just watch what interests them.

Another way of looking at it, is that anime is just a reflection of cable and streaming TV. There are soooo many cable and streaming channels, that you could literally not know about some trending shows, especially if you are not watching shows that talk about trending shows and actors.

I completely agree with you about the reviews part. The fact, that you have reviewers, who give honest assessments and not just PR, is one of the best things here. The possibility, that one hates a show you like, makes it way better, when they end up liking it.

Regarding the number of anime, for me the biggest problem is not the sheer number of titles getting produced, but that despite the volume, you don't actually have as much diversity as you'd hope. You get dozens of Isekai, LN adaptations and high school romcoms, but less Originals and genres like Mystery, Thriller, Adult Drama etc. Ideally you would have a balanced representation of most genres every season when you get 50 animes. In reality you get a dominance of specific genres, where individual titles are getting increasingly difficult to differentiate from each other. At least for me personally.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Otcho wrote:
Regarding the number of anime, for me the biggest problem is not the sheer number of titles getting produced, but that despite the volume, you don't actually have as much diversity as you'd hope. You get dozens of Isekai, LN adaptations and high school romcoms, but less Originals and genres like Mystery, Thriller, Adult Drama etc. Ideally you would have a balanced representation of most genres every season when you get 50 animes. In reality you get a dominance of specific genres, where individual titles are getting increasingly difficult to differentiate from each other. At least for me personally.

Each anime season has at least a couple of titles geared towards older adults; this season it's Snack Basue and (seemingly) Meiji Gekken: 1874. However, you'll never see a lot of thrillers or adult dramas in anime because a) the format isn't targeted at older adults and b) shows like those can usually be done more easily in live-action. Same with pure mysteries; most true anime mysteries (like Undead Murder Farce or InSpectre) have supernatural or other fantastical elements to them.

Because of its nature, anime (and really animation in general) inherently lends itself to fantastical content, so fantasy, supernatural, sci fi, magical girl, and lavish idol shows will always be disproportionately represented. Because of that, a more balanced genre distribution will never happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I’m just glad to see more shoujo getting made. There’s a certain warmth in it that I adore.

Every season I go for shoujo and/or iyashikei titles. From what I’ve seen those anime don’t get enough appreciation which is really too bad. I still maintain that Natsume’s Book of Friends is the best anime ever made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gnarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Otcho wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I completely agree with you about the reviews part. The fact, that you have reviewers, who give honest assessments and not just PR, is one of the best things here. The possibility, that one hates a show you like, makes it way better, when they end up liking it.

Of course I didn't mean I only ever wanted positive reviews, as negative ones are just as important. But there's a difference between someone who's interested in something but ends up disliking it and someone who hated it from the beginning and just dunks on it. I hate football with all my heart, and for this reason I'd never review a FIFA game (or whatever they're calling them now) because my perspective is worthless for anyone who might be intersted in a review of it. So I'm all for negative reviews, as long as they make good points, but I'm really not into hate-watching. Although, I gotta admit Disney is trying to change my mind lately.

About the diversity of anime offerings, there's not a lot to say other than "capitalism". Money is invested in what's likely to profit, and quality unfortunately doesn't have a very good record on that front. And really, everything works this way, not just anime.
Otcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Otcho wrote:

Each anime season has at least a couple of titles geared towards older adults; this season it's Snack Basue and (seemingly) Meiji Gekken: 1874. However, you'll never see a lot of thrillers or adult dramas in anime because a) the format isn't targeted at older adults and b) shows like those can usually be done more easily in live-action. Same with pure mysteries; most true anime mysteries (like Undead Murder Farce or InSpectre) have supernatural or other fantastical elements to them.

Because of its nature, anime (and really animation in general) inherently lends itself to fantastical content, so fantasy, supernatural, sci fi, magical girl, and lavish idol shows will always be disproportionately represented. Because of that, a more balanced genre distribution will never happen.

I get that. There will never be a complete balance due to the nature of anime and its aim towards younger fans. But, especially the lack of truly original shows is pretty striking and frustrating. Shows, that actually have an ending, where you can't get spoiled online, is an important counterpart to the regular hype shonen and LN shows, that have large fanbases all to willing to share plot details and vague rumblings about future developments. This season you really don't have stuff like OddTaxi and Sonny Boy and last year I can't think of one truly great original anime of the top of my head
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Otcho wrote:
I get that. There will never be a complete balance due to the nature of anime and its aim towards younger fans. But, especially the lack of truly original shows is pretty striking and frustrating. Shows, that actually have an ending, where you can't get spoiled online, is an important counterpart to the regular hype shonen and LN shows, that have large fanbases all to willing to share plot details and vague rumblings about future developments. This season you really don't have stuff like OddTaxi and Sonny Boy and last year I can't think of one truly great original anime of the top of my head

A lot of people ended up praising Overtake!, which was an original anime series, and Synduality:Noir has also received some praise. There's also G-Witch, of course, and I feel that Kaina of the Great Snow Sea is underrated and underappreciated.
Admittedly, though, most of the other original series in 2023 weren't particularly memorable.

And this isn't new. Anime-original series have been only a small part of the overall anime output for at least the last 20 years, and you may even have to go back to the heyday of OVA in the late '80s and early '90s to find the last time they dominated.

But not all hope is lost! Metallic Rouge and Bang Brave Bang Bravern are both original series debuting this season which look quite promising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:31 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I voted on The Fire Hunter S2, partly because I do view it as an ambitious, if ridiculously messy & occasionally incomprehensible production trainwreck, but to the shock of no-one it didn't get voted in....
Well, I feel foolish now. I didn't notice that FH2 didn't get voted in and despite my feeling the same, I did vote for it thinking it might get better. I watched the newest episode to see what the review might have to work with, but I can say it wasn't any more interesting as S1 and since I had all but forgotten about it (including my own comments) I ended up thinking "well, this reminds me of why I/we disliked it". Now I can safely forget about this thing forever and enjoy the much better stuff this season...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5