• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Forum Rules 06/29/2018

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Halko wrote:
"This person disagreed with me in an inoffensive way without insults and i didn't like it so im deleting his post because im hurt." The rules as they are written blatantly makes this an ok thing to do. If you want to do that fine but man up to it and say it directly at least.

You don't get to "politely" argue for white supremacy here anymore. If you were doing that before and you're arguing for your ability to continue doing it now, you're definitely gonna get banned.

If you weren't doing that or aren't doing that, then you really have no reason to be upset or """worried""" about these easy-to-follow rules.

Directly arguing for something like that should be moderated and in no way did i ever say that it shouldnt. There is a bit leap between white supremacy and a simple difference of views on a subject however. There have been some posts deleted in this very thread that werent inflammatory and werent condoning racism or sexism that were deleted. Fairly benign statements of opinion that got pruned from a disagreement. Simply disagreeing about something being offensive is not in any way supporting white supremacy.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Zac wrote:
Halko wrote:
"This person disagreed with me in an inoffensive way without insults and i didn't like it so im deleting his post because im hurt." The rules as they are written blatantly makes this an ok thing to do. If you want to do that fine but man up to it and say it directly at least.

You don't get to "politely" argue for white supremacy here anymore. If you were doing that before and you're arguing for your ability to continue doing it now, you're definitely gonna get banned.

If you weren't doing that or aren't doing that, then you really have no reason to be upset or """worried""" about these easy-to-follow rules.

Directly arguing for something like that should be moderated and in no way did i ever say that it shouldnt. There is a bit leap between white supremacy and a simple difference of views on a subject however. There have been some posts deleted in this very thread that werent inflammatory and werent condoning racism or sexism that were deleted. Fairly benign statements of opinion that got pruned from a disagreement. Simply disagreeing about something being offensive is not in any way supporting white supremacy.

Your ability to skate by the rules without consequence no longer benefits from making people read between the lines. I'm sorry that this seems to upset you. There are other places you can go that let you obscure your message, but ANN is no longer among them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:

"I find this scene sexist."
"Thats silly how is this sexist?" BANNED

That is not a situation that should happen.

This is just concern trolling.

Don't make our community worse. If you aren't doing that, you're not going to have a problem.
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:
Your ability to skate by the rules without consequence no longer benefits from making people read between the lines. I'm sorry that this seems to upset you. There are other places you can go that let you obscure your message, but ANN is no longer among them.

There is no message aside from keeping an open discussion on things that actually warrant discussion. Just lumping everyone that isnt offended by everything your offended by into being a fascist is silly. Im just concerned that much of these rules can lead into over-aggressive moderation on topics that dont deserve it. Hell i dont post much at all but something like this always bugs me. If there is an issue found or an opinion posted that should be discussed it should be discussed in a civil manner. That is all i am saying and my only message. And of course you throw out obvious crazy ranting from whatever nutjob decides to get online and be an ass but there is a very defined line between that and simply not having the same opinion.

Call it concern trolling if you want but there is every reason to be concerned and cautious over this with a rule so broad and ambiguous.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Kitsunelaine wrote:

There is no message aside from keeping an open discussion on things that actually warrant discussion. Just lumping everyone that isnt offended by everything your offended by into being a fascist is silly. Im just concerned that much of these rules can lead into over-aggressive moderation on topics that dont deserve it. Hell i dont post much at all but something like this always bugs me. If there is an issue found or an opinion posted that should be discussed it should be discussed in a civil manner. That is all i am saying and my only message. And of course you throw out obvious crazy ranting from whatever nutjob decides to get online and be an ass but there is a very defined line between that and simply not having the same opinion.

Call it concern trolling if you want but there is every reason to be concerned and cautious over this with a rule so broad and ambiguous.

If you think you're about to post something that's going to offend a lot of minorities you can always just, not. It really isn't as hard as you're making it out to be.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:

I have a different question: When I report a comment for breaking the rules, and the commenter themselves edits the offending part out after my complaint, will I look like I'm just troll-reporting something out of spite, or can mods see the original context?

If you're worried about it, you could always copy-paste the part of the post in the box of the report. Unless you're making reports about things the mods are finding are routinely not issues, we aren't going to suspect you're troll-reporting. Also posts that are edited get a small sentence at the bottom that shows that there were edits made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Oh of course there are lots of things that could be instantly construed as being offensive to a group of people and those should be moderated. Still there are many things that many people find offensive that in the grand scheme of things simply arent. I've had people get outright obscene when i mention that pit bulls arent bad dogs by nature. The guy literally screamed at me he was so angered and offended that i could hold that opinion. Another case is when i was working retail we were having a game release and we didn't get any copies of the game in. I had looked for over a half hour everywhere for it. A black man came in and i explained the situation and that i wasnt going to search in the back for it any longer. He was offended because he thought i was doing it because he was black. Women came in literally in their underwear and were asked to leave and were offended. Just because someone is offended does not mean what is said is offensive in general.

Everyone is offended by different things. To say that you simply shouldnt post things that are offensive is asking people to be mind readers especially with touchy subjects people are easily offended by like sexuality and such. To stifle any and all commentary on something like that just because of some trolls online and being overly sensitive to discussion is a shame. There is nothing wrong with being sensitive about certain subjects but you cant let that get in the way of actually sitting down and talking about them in a constructive way. This is the internet though and thats even harder to do here than face to face.

I have nothing against these rules provided they are not used as a tool to crush discourse on a subject which is a very real possibility.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
zelsphere wrote:
You are more or less making the same point as most of us, if you don't like a yaoi show you don't need to make a point about how much you hate gayness, just don't watch it. If you don't like harem/ecchi anime you don't need to make an editorial/post about how much you hate those kind of anime and label it as objectifying woman and fan service, well knowing what kind of show it is.

Being a jerk against gays or being a jerk against straight people should both be bad, no??

You aren't comparing like to like.

If you go into a Citrus discussion and declare, "The portrayal of sexual relations between two girls makes me uncomfortable and is undermining traditional culture," you should be modded.

If you go into a Monster Musume discussion and declare, "The portrayal of Rachnera as a sexually assertive woman makes me uncomfortable and is undermining traditional culture," you should be modded.

If you go into a Junjo Romantica discussion and say, "This show is objectifying gay men for the titillation of a female audience," that's a valid point that should be discussed.

If you go into a High School DxD discussion and say, "This show is objectifying women for the titillation of a male audience," that's a valid point that should be discussed.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess my biggest question after reading through the responses would be whether or not this protects or restricts a writer's self-expression? As much as I agree that people shouldn't take what a reviewer says about a show seriously enough to internalize it as an attack on them...what happens if they read the review and their main takeaway is that the writer is just a jerk?

It gets sticky in the sense that reviewers can't go around making digs at a show for their own catharsis. Someone will end up seeing that as being hateful rather than critical. A bad faith argument. It's the fine line between, "I disagree, but the writer's making an interesting point" and "Yikes...not cool...". It can end up cultivating the toxic environment we wish to discourage. And it runs the risk of being unfair in the sense that the writer is allowed to express sentiments that could get any other user reported.

The fear then is that nothing really changes.

To be clear, I'm not accusing anyone. I just know that it doesn't take much to rub someone the wrong way online. And I just wonder if these new regulations have taken situations such as this into consideration? Will writers be obligated to keep these forum practices in mind when writing new reviews/articles? How do you minimize these more subjective conflicts?

All that out of the way, I'm more optimistic than disconcerted in regards to the changes. Changes like these are always difficult in the first phase, but I'm hopeful that this does aid in diminishing toxicity within the forums. Godspeed to everyone involved! Smile

Last edited by stilldemented on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Guys, it does not matter what your overall point is, do not drop a bunch of racist and homophobic slurs into the forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm going to shut this down. I really wanted to keep this going longer, but I don't see the ongoing conversation as being very constructive at this point. I would like to make a long post detailing exactly why this thread is no longer creating legitimate discussion, but it's Canada Day and I want to enjoy my day. Tomorrow I'm traveling to LA for AX, so I may not be able to do it tomorrow either. Sometime over the next couple of days I'll come back here and explain in detail for anyone who can't see why, or isn't happy with my decision.

Otherwise, please understand that these new rules are now effectively the terms of service for using this forum.

Thank you very much to everyone who attempted to discuss this legitimately. There very clearly were some "bad faith actors" in this thread, but I also understand that they're were also numerous people with legitimate concerns.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Canada Day.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21