• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2018 Reader Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamingsamurai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to add my two cents and thought it might be best to include the Nintendo Switch under the choice of consoles as well.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Is there any sort of Patreon tip jar? MassivelyOP has one set up and it's making $1000-ish a month.

Between the dice roll of unsecure ads (and their general annoyance) and the fact that info about anime can be found all over the internet these days, I'd be more likely to move to a different site the exact second ANN starts to become inconvenient than subscribe to something that doesn't put food on my table or shut AdBlock stuff off.

Been here for quite some time too. It's 100% convenience as a factor as to why I'm still here, just being honest. I'm too poor to have much of an opinion otherwise.
Estelle the White Mage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
"How much Japanese do you know?"

... Well, I know "Oppai" from all the shows I watch, but that's about it. I'm sure that's fluent enough lol. I figure I could just shout that first-thing off the tarmack when I land in Tokyo, and all the native speakers would roll their eyes and point in the direction of Akiba district.

Answered as truthfully as I could, despite the fact that I'm sure I hold some unpopular opinions/modes of watching anime.
Fory-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
I have been a reader of ANN since the very beginning and consider it *the* source for all news pertaining ti Japanese animation and manga. Hands down, it is the first news page I check out multiple times a day. I, in particular, appreciate the fact that you don't base your journalism on "here-say" or rumor mills, but direct from the horse's mouth.

I also must commend you for your wealth of information you provide through your encyclopedia. It has been exceptionally helpful with my own essays or outlines for school as well as presenting panels at conventions.

There are so many other incredible services that columns that you have that it would take multiple replies to address them all. Great job overall.

However (yes, there is that other shoe dropping), there are some concerns I feel could use some improvement.

For starters, as illustrated above, I really like both Zac and Justin on their incredible wealth of information they provide. They are undoubtedly, instrumental in providing information in a timely and sufficient manner...

But could you guys lay off the snark a bit? It really turns me off listening to your podcasts because I sense a real Simon Cowell-esque snobbery at times, particularly from Zac.

Now, it is completely understandable that you two have been in the industry a long time and, quite frankly, it is admirable that burnout hasn't made you throw in the towel a long time ago.

But I do think there does need to be a little bit less of the sarcasm and attitude.

Also, as if you couldn't tell, I am an old school fan. In fact, my appreciation of material pre-2005 going back to 60's supersedes a lot of newer fare. I recognize the flaws in many of this more vintage material (low-quality animation, goofy stories, etc.).

Yet, I can't help to think there are times I sense a real bias towards this material so very important to the development of the art forms we have today. Again, opinions are one thing, of which you both are certainly entitled to. But when that opinion goes into creating a bias in the way you present reviews, it turns a lot of readers off to even giving these old shows a chance. I know that they have problems and I am not one to let nostalgia blind me through rose-tinted glasses.

Maybe I am wrong about this and I would appreciate feedback from one of the main moderators that run the site.

I hope that doesn't paint me in a bad light, and I am sure I'm going to get roasted by the other members on the forum. But it's just a gut feeling that I need to get out that would make the experience of this page much more awesome than it is. You guys do a terrific job and I don't want you thinking that I am jumping your cases on these matters.

Just allowing us to take time to voice whatever concerns we have is a good sign that someone is listening. Stay cool, ANN. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Spider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
At first I was sad (as trends in questions unfolded), then I was angry (at the survey), then I got over it.

Quick comment responses (reader to reader):

Tempest wrote:
0nsen wrote:
Also not sure if Linux was included with Desktop (PC) or not, but all I've got is Linux,...
Zin5ki wrote:

I'm in the same position, and I selected that option. It's the same thing, only cheaper still...

The question is about the device, not the OS.
Windows, OS/2, DOS, Linux, BSD, whatever... it's still a PC.

My gut reaction was the same, but while staring at it and other questions, it indeed looked more like hardware platform of consumption, as has been confirmed. Smile "Mac" just gets distracting, but is legitimate hardware though it's become less distinguishable under the hood. The default web-browser can be under consideration. Unless you're the one reader that's swiped RMS's old loongson based laptop and took the survey through elinks/eww/w3, I think we'll be ok. (Said with all the jovialness that camaraderie allows for from our sides of the fence. Wink) (spoiler[Mac vs PC stereotypes/demographics aside, that covers the majority of the readers, and Computer hardware related Adverts.])

nobahn wrote:
Just a thought: With some of the questions I thought that having the option of ranking the choices might be helpful -- although I suppose that that the necessary programming might be rather involved..... Sad

Agreed, the same desire for additional choices/ranking in a few places came to mind, (part of the 'then I was angry') followed by resignation regarding inevitable extra programming and work to interpret the data. More on the motivation of this desire later.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Is there any sort of Patreon tip jar? MassivelyOP has one set up and it's making $1000-ish a month.

I don't believe there is a Patreon/"donation" method, though there does seem to be the newer $1 per month (all upfront I believe) ANN-Subscription option noted in the banner. animenewsnetwork.com/subscription. Based on this I'm not sure pursuing it is desired; however, when answering the 'How much at most for a subscription with perks' question, I wondered why how I could express how much I'd donate -without- any changes at all (the answer for me is even half for no guaranteed additional perks/changes). No (2+ degrees of separation) Ad-network adverts is nice if making a pure donation, though the option to block them is there even then. I'll leave that to Tempest and company to maybe clarify.

Fory-san wrote:
I, in particular, appreciate the fact that you don't base your journalism on "here-say" or rumor mills, but direct from the horse's mouth.

I also must commend you for your wealth of information you provide through your encyclopedia. It has been exceptionally helpful with my own essays or outlines for school as well as presenting panels at conventions.

"Yes" to all of the first parts, Fory-san. Well said, so I wanted to +1 it by highlighting it. It showed up between taking survey and starting to write this update. (As for the pod cast, I'm not one for them, so I can't really comment there either way and will leave that to others.)

Feedback / Thoughts from the Survey:

Beginning with quicker ones:

Survey2018 wrote:
Of the above, which is your preferred way to watch anime?

I felt as though it would be nice to have a generalized question about device/method of consumption and not specific. 'Why/What do you like about your preferred/ideal consumption method'. This could be too open-ended and instead boiled down to some things like 'ability to watch without internet', 'ability to sample before purchasing', 'convenience of method of consumption (all in one place)', 'cheaper cost at expense of convenience/portability(drm)/etc'. Though that is a different type of survey and goal/scope.

Survey2018 wrote:
Where should talk back be. How often do you respond.
Comments presentation is certainly a good discussion; though, I currently fit the 'barely comment here yet do read -article- comments regularly'. So I was missing a "How often do you read comments?" Then again, if I'm not contributing to discussion, maybe my opinion on that really doesn't matter. Not that the survey/staff states or implies that at all, but the question may have missed out on or lumps together - "people who don't read comments", "people who regularly read comments but don't interact".

Also, regardless of 'in the forums' vs 'threaded under the comments' it's not a bad initial thought following the threaded/embeded-comments question, but:
CatSword wrote:
aLIEz wrote:
Just creating my account to say this.
Can you please integrate disqus and shown it under the news. I find it pretty annoying to click the link to see the comment in forum.
Thank you.

Please do not do this. Disqus is a crappy system most commonly used on sites for pirated anime/manga, and requiring users to connect their social media in order to comment will likely decrease user engagement.

I'll also never be participating if it's off-loaded to a requirement of an external social media account. Not even for survey comments and things that might matter to me. :/ (I don't have Facebook, I don't want to use twitter/google for this, etc. And I'd rather not be forced to do any sort of social media advertisement in this manner.) I'd really want any similar solution to integrate existing ANN accounts if it was also to offer things like OAuth. That position is not related to 'threaded and below the article' vs 'in the forms'; and disqus as a quick helpful example is not 'bad', but social media requirement (or my impression that it might be required once seeing it and most interaction done that way) would be very much against my personal interests. I'm just another user, though.

Buried treasure/garbage is nice but only if there is qualifying content/motivation, within reason (in my opinion, hence I chose it, though there are other good past columns as well.) Otherwise, touching on Manga (as others noted) would be good. "House of 1000 Manga" reminding me to get back to Tsutomu Nihei's other works (Biomega in this case), and to sample "I Am Hero" for some laughs, which I certainly appreciated.

Episode-by-episode reviews I can get from like minded bloggers or reddit/forums I subscribe to that target my interests (and discover new ones most likely to be interesting to me). As long as their lives can still create unpaid content (the only concern there). (Note: This is for me specifically, and I definitely don't speak for others, and absolutely no offense to current writers. It's also not much of an interest for me in general. Out-of-band with notifications when desired)

Additional thoughts:

I have three other thoughts two of which are important and I feel are constructive, but I don't have the time to complete them now. Likely I'll return in the next 24-48 hours when I'm back to being able to do so.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
I sort of tagged an entry under "hobbies" as "sports/exercise", although that may or may not oversell my love for going on hikes (think the intermediate hikes on Encouragement of Climb), which I couple with photography. I would have liked seeing "hiking" as its own entry, but... what can you do? There was already a ton of entries there.

And yeah, I missed being able to choose "walking" on my commute vote. Given that I live within a 10-15 minutes walking distance from my workplace and I do not suffer any severely debilitating handicaps, driving would be beyond lazy.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that standalone DVD player / standalone Blu-ray player wasn't included in the devices one owned category.

Hmmm, one of the categories of conventions: international could have been divided into Japan and elsewhere. Do you count just Anime Japan, or do Comiket and other events like M3 also count?

As with others, walking/hiking is a regular activity both as part of a commute and for recreation.

Looking at the activities people wish to do/actually when visiting Japan could be another category. For me it has included:

attending music of anime concerts (multi-artist like Animelo Summer Live and Animax Musix, single artist like Nana Mizuki and Minori Chihara, including in-store mini-lives with meet-and greet sessions, serious karaoke singers, anison dj clubs like Club Mogra, and one talk session with lyricist Yuuho Iwasato)
videogame music concerts
musicals featuring anime singers (Nana Mizuki in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, Eri Itoh in Mother Theresa the musical)
classical concerts
browsing secondhand music stores
conventions like Anime Japan and M3 (doujin music gathering)
more general sight-seeing e.g. trains, walking, museums/galleries (including accidental and deliberate anime pilgrimages).

Last edited by omiya on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any strong comments about the form, but I do want to say that Tales of the Industry was genuinely awesome, and I'd like to see it come back in some form. Of course, I feel like it got shut down because people were telling on those who posted the stories, so you would better tell everyone to try harder this time.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Just some honest thoughts, which others may feel completely differently from: With AniPages no longer active, it would be nice for somewhere to continue to report on and discuss in-depth the animation in Japanese animation (and not only the "Japanese" part, which I feel ANN or almost any English-language anime news or discussion tends to weigh almost completely on) and/or to report more on stop-motion, independent, CGI and/or short-form Japanese animation, not so heavily the late-night, otaku-aimed TV stuff.
djsquelch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Much of the survey was interesting yet among multiple choice answers, I felt there were some minor issues like limiting choices to only a certain number and not offering all/none of the above choices. Ialso opted not to answer for many of the questions, in lieu of not being able to answer as I wished; not answering became preferable to generating less favorable distinguishable results via specific answers. Another major thing the survey skillfully dodged was asking if articles in general were desired, yet quite prompt about asking what new/retired articles were desired.
When I come to this site, it's for two purposes: to record and rate anime/manga and to research the Encyclopedia in regards to show info/stats as well as get info on voice actors and sometimes cross reference them. As for articles, they're something I tend to ignore as they don't really serve any practical purpose for me; the handful of times I've bothered to read something, the information I wanted wasn't provided like where to buy something, where to watch something, or why something was canceled and maybe even how to petition for more episodes. Other people's reviews are rather meaningless to me- all I want is an unbiased description and genres/themes listed, which I get from the Encyclopedia. For the record, I have used this site since about 2005.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
Having trouble with 'No post mode specified' so attempting to partial post, sorry it may be too long.

djsquelch wrote:
Another major thing the survey skillfully dodged was asking if articles in general were desired, yet quite prompt about asking what new/retired articles were desired.

Yes, very much this. My 'confusion' over what constitutes Content vs Advertisement questions and ability to relay my intent/desires stems from this. Unfortunately this has lead to me spinning around thinking about this half of what follows below.

Quick comment responses (reader to reader):

djsquelch wrote:
the handful of times I've bothered to read something, the information I wanted wasn't provided like where to buy something, where to watch something, or why something was canceled and maybe even how to petition for more episodes.
I like this feature as well (finding relevant older articles -from- an Encyclopedia entry). Though as you'll see below, I differ in also valuing the news on it's own. Just wanted to +1 this. I answered the Encyclopedia as most valued feature though I probably visit much more often due to the news. I'm not sure I could properly express this in the survey with the structure and limitations of the questions.

Lapin noir wrote:
Just some honest thoughts, which others may feel completely differently from: With AniPages no longer active, it would be nice for somewhere to continue to report on and discuss in-depth the animation in Japanese animation (and not only the "Japanese" part, which I feel ANN or almost any English-language anime news or discussion tends to weigh almost completely on) and/or to report more on stop-motion, independent, CGI and/or short-form Japanese animation, not so heavily the late-night, otaku-aimed TV stuff.
That's not just you, I would gladly read articles on this (even if 'japan' is the gateway and not the focus at every second). I did not have enough checks to mark boxes so I did not mark 'Animation' in hobbies/interest' regarding advertisements, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't necessarily have a higher interest in said content over news about voice actors. It's not fair to claim to want everything, as I don't know what the limitations on amount, rotation, or reader interests are, but I wanted to +1 this as I'm certainly far from opposed to the thought. (I feel this may also fit in with "science/tech 'real stuff'" in nature but not topic.)

Survey Feedback (quick items):

Survey2018 wrote:
We recently added a feature to auto-load the next article when you reach the end of the article you are currently reading. How do you feel about this feature ?

On Mobile Browsers 'auto-load' incurs unintended extra data consumption (or on Laptop when using mobile tethering) otherwise I'm indifferent thus far. It may make keeping track of multiple tabs/windows via title bar or currently displayed content a bit annoying for some but might not be an issue.

The less data loaded on a mobile site interface (comments under article; auto-loaded next article) the better. (as a priority, for me) Click to trigger loading next-article/in-page-comments under the article on mobile (if going with in-page vs in-forums) might be a quick fix (without need for some profile setting requiring login, if at all, while still allowing such features to be available). (Again maybe that is just me but it seems to make the most sense as a default unless chain-loading uses onto additional articles is considered -very- important to the point of not including mobile users in auto-loading.) Not a fan of it in Desktop browser either but I can live with it if others like it, or if it's critical to do so in order to offer more chances to inject Ads between articles...

Advertisement vs Identity vs Content:
  • Confusion over question intent to determine site Content or site Advertisements.
  • Remember it's about Advertisement Categories/companies, ANN/survey may just relay their Generalized categories.
  • Be careful in how to interpret/re-purpose survey results.
  • Will Advertisement interests/options influence percentages of Article Content generated (what extent)?

Much of the survey was focused on Advertisement Demographics (some direct, some subtle), which is definitely acceptable given the site banner and introduction; though it's not possible to describe or put every individual in a fixed set of boxes, so sometimes we get hung up on some of the question's topics/format. Nobody genuinely trying to improve a provided service ever sets out to do this or assume that they can. Certainly that is not the case here. So I'd advise - don't get too stressed over missing/generalized interest-topics/identity, but do point out useful ones where they might be applied to advertisement goals.

On stereotypes/generalization - limited categories can be due to the Advertising Network options/availability of targets and scope, which is outside all of our direct influences. If the network says 'check boxes that apply' or 'we offer lumped together X,Y,Z', such as Activism = (lgbt OR animal OR open-source OR ...) where 'OR' vs 'AND' might be critical per individual, it's indeed frustrating on first glance, but ANN is a messenger and it can be beyond their reach Sad. (I'm guilty of tangents though wouldn't contest the minimal usefulness of including Linux/BSD/etc OS adverts on this site and or subjecting ANN's wider audience to that. Smile)

When it comes to determining interest in Content vs Advertisement the survey also get a bit blurry. Can interest in content be derived with reasonable accuracy/level-of-inclusion given an individual or demographic's more generalized profile of interests? Well, it's a bit scary how well it works in general to direct us as individuals to content we're indeed interested in when cross referencing the right large pool of individuals. It's absolutely not perfect but works darn well given resources. -- However, one might also ask if pursuing these pre-defined base desires/rules alone through the course of chaos, algorithms, and evolution will result in a optimal(most-desirable) outcome; or, if in addition to this the observed success, failures, feedback, and subsequent direction by our overlords is best. spoiler[I personally welcome our overlords, and their consideration and guidance through all the fun times.] Razz

Was the survey purely advertisement related, beyond one or two questions? I couldn't tell for some questions, which lead to some frustration. (Yearly survey included a few site improvement question but where Content vs Advertisement began and ended was confusing. Obviously it's hard to ask for participation depending on length or intent.)

With the pre-rambling out of the way, some opinions/thoughts:
  • Advertisement based Demographic Interests shouldn't be confused with Content Interests.
  • Content Topics can be injected/boosted with the best Advertisement sources in mind to meet an ideal of flaunting demographics and generation of desired content, or sprinkled for the sake of continued sustainability.
  • Readers know best as a whole (from experience, omitting assumption) what they "can't live without", "can't live with", and "have intrests in when resources allow".
  • Overlords can pick out patterns from above the chaos and see things through.

This is to say that I became confused a few times over if a question might be used for determining the best advertisements, or to determine the best article content/topics/columns; and to say that I might suggest caution given this confusion and some of the question topics/response-formats, regarding how to interpret the data in the future when outside the context of Advertising alone. *

* the thought that a question might be re-purposed for both uses lead to conflict when it didn't cover all angles/positions of one or the other. (that is not concern about a missing topic-of-interest, but inability to clarify level of interest or personal conditions)

* also, if I'm a subscriber so I don't see Ads, that won't stop me from seeing increased numbers of <subject-here> articles being created to attract and satisfy <subject-here> advertisements. But I'm ok with that to an extent as that's not my ultimate decision to make, and may keep things healthy (if not at expense of other content). It just comes to mind.
Spider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
In continuation of the above, double posting... due to 'No post mode specified' likely the length, if I could collapse in collapsible spoiler tags I would.

Was there a way to indicate 'Keep this Content at all costs' (but add others in addition to)?

There are some things that came to mind, such as "Sure, I don't mind or would enjoy -additional- anime/manga related Gaming articles, in case some more of them turn out interesting," but NOT at the expense of other content. There were times like this where I couldn't see how I was able to express 'not at the expense of'. However, I could express lackluster interest with "no answer" and intolerance with "No." but not "if resources allow or majority want this, then sure, otherwise no interest". Sometimes that differentiation may not matter at all to the goal of the questions at hand, and in this case it's not as big of a deal, but it can be frustrating in other cases.

Survey2018 wrote:
  • Including anime and manga, which of the following Japan related topics are you very interested in? (Max 7 choices)
  • Which of the following would you say you are mildly interested in ? (don't select something you already selected above)
If I can't fit all my 'very interested' in 7 (yes that's greedy), dare I express 'mild interest' in something I'm still equally 'very' interested in that didn't make the 7 chosen cutoff? I suppose that's better than no interest at all? In some cases ranking in order may help, or in this case, possibly on-a-scale-of 1 to 5 or 7 is best. That way it might be applied to all. Was there a limited resource (we'll assume it would be '7') in how many could be provided? But then, the next question is to put the rest in 'mild interest'. I would think it would be easier to look at overall strength of interest in each topic and judge what is best fitting for the majority (then add in variety as to not exclude minorities that seem worthy where needed). Then later cross reference other questions that clarify, what can definitely be tossed and what absolutely should be kept. If only 5 things can be kept I might want variety instead of every one of my highest interests, if asked which of these to keep if only these 5 were available. Those types of options let me sort out what I think is best on my own, in more than one way (factoring in my intent without finding the right questions to ask directly about it).

Maybe i missed the point in some cases, but then I hope my responses are still useful and represent what was desired out of them.

On Variety of Content and What to Reduce (if anything):
  • About reducing content 'in favor of others' vs 'adding in addition to'.
  • My top interests may not be what I think/want ANN to keep. (that's critical)
Survey2018 wrote:
Which one topic would you like to see more coverage of in our news ?
At face value that means maybe expanding one thing. If we're trying to confirm what we should reduce/increase, it's hard to choose -one- as that doesn't reflect the whole story very well. Maybe adding "in addition to current content coverage levels" to the above would ease/clarify that. This is mostly irrelevant wandering of the mind if the curiosity was never about reduction in order to focus on something else, but this is also where ranking or careful questions from both angles likely can help. What is adequate (but don't change), what needs more, what can you do without? Of course that makes the survey look a lot longer, though it's just click once per item.)

Not that it said anywhere that cutting out content is needed; however, the survey brought this to mind and I'm not sure the survey can fully reflect what to keep and what to cut. Though, this may not have been desired data, compared to determining if say, writing more Gaming articles could open up better targeted Advertising revenue sources. I just wanted to note caution may be needed depending on how the data may be interpreted in the future. (This is where ranking or top-5 for all variants of like/dislike or priority-to-keep/willing-to-drop questions could be best.)
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
Poor Matsue, Yokohama, and rhythm games...

I put a lot of ‘no answer’ about the ANN content-related questions, because that’s personally how I feel about the site’s writers right now. Now, I’ll be going back to my ANN-boycott

(For those really wanting the latest news as it occurs ~immediately~: the combination of comic natalie and @pkjd on twitter is pretty good).

Take care.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"If you can take five minutes to answer it, that would be awesome!"

Quite optimistic there. Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
djsquelch wrote:
Another major thing the survey skillfully dodged was asking if articles in general were desired, yet quite prompt about asking what new/retired articles were desired.

We didn't "dodge" anything. The survey is full of topic we're interested in for a variety of reasons. If a question wasn't asked, it means either we didn't think of it, we simply weren't interested in it, or it was cut because the survey is already really, really long.

I really don't understand why you think we would "dodge" something. The answers aren't made public, it's not like we could be embarrassed by any answers.

Quote:
Yes, very much this. My 'confusion' over what constitutes Content vs Advertisement questions and ability to relay my intent/desires stems from this. Unfortunately this has lead to me spinning around thinking about this half of what follows below.

How does this matter ?

"Are you interested in X?" The answer should not change based on whether or not it's related to advertising, or content. The question is not "Would you like ads about X?" nor was it, "Would you like content about X?" It was "Are you interested in X?"

Many questions are related to both advertising, content, and simply knowing about our readers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6