• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Video News Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Remove the videos from the bottoms of articles completely and move them over to their own articles.

Whoever is interested in them will click on the articles with the videos. This way, you won't force them down anyone's throat. I will not be happy if you simply disable the autoplay and let the videos at the bottom of articles.

{Edit}: Going back into an older post to edit it after being told to drop the subject will not be tolerated. I removed your edit. Either you can follow the rules or you will be on moderation. End of discussion. ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by Thorfinn on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
So just seeing the video frame offends you? oO If they remove the autoplay and you don't press play, how would you be you seeing these videos?
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So just seeing the video frame offends you? oO If they remove the autoplay and you don't press play, how would you be you seeing these videos?

Yes, it bothers me, I don't like to see endless amounts of clutter on webpages, they weren't there before, so they aren't necessary. Make the things their own articles.
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
Not a positive for me. I'd rather read than stream. The many video features at Nerdist autoplay, but they're front and center, easy to pause before they get past the (blissfully neutral) opening splash, then resume scrolling to the article. However, their videos aren't on every page, and the content varies.

As Takkun4343 suggested, make the video a unique article. If that article is anchored to each date header, everyone will see it as they scroll. Plus the stats on click-through would reflect reader interest more reliably than the number of plays, which I inflate when I read with the audio off.

Spare a thought for Otakumode. Their ad bar is below the video and they can't be getting the clicks they used to. I clicked over a half dozen times while editing this, to make them feel loved. Now heading back to the tote bag section...
Dan297na

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Any auto playing video on a text article is a bad thing.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So just seeing the video frame offends you?

Almost everything here offends him. On that note Thorfinn you can cease with the endless soapboxing. You've made your point, something else offends you and you're unhappy. You keep having posts removed because at this point you're just soapboxing on the topic, and being very rude about it. Nobody is trying to force anything down anyone's throats and if you had read the other thread, or post earlier where it was pointed out, the autoplay feature was not even added intentionally. Chris decided to ask for feedback since it was already added, albeit unintentionally. The situation is also moot at this point because he already said he was going to have that part turned off. You're already skating a thin line with your conduct towards other users so I suggest you move along to a different topic.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The situation is also moot at this point because he already said he was going to have that part turned off.

And yet here it is almost a week later and the videos are still auto-playing. So, not so moot?
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
The situation is also moot at this point because he already said he was going to have that part turned off.

And yet here it is almost a week later and the videos are still auto-playing. So, not so moot?

Going to have to second this. I generally don't adblock things, but this single entity has become so annoying to warrant it.

When you guys turn of the auto-play functionality please give us an update so i can remove the filter.
Mystifire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
^
Agreed

The fact that there is almost 7 pages of consistent complaining about the autoplay feature and it is still going on is rather baffling. If you want people to use your site without adblocking plugins and such, at least give some kind of sign that you care enough about the users to axe a feature that is so universally hated as soon as possible.

And please keep in mind this comes from a place of appreciation for the site. The only reason so many people here care so much that this is taken away is because they want to continue to rely on ANN as a source for news, but it's hard to feel like the site actually cares when a feature so universally hated is STILL going on...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 am Reply with quote
Based on everyone's feedback, the auto-play was turned off on Friday night.

We're going to look into some of the other suggestions, including giving the videos their own article (but they will probably also stay in article) as well as play with a few other things to address comments made here.

Thank you for the feedback, even (especially?) The negative feedback.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
Mystifire wrote:
^
Agreed

The fact that there is almost 7 pages of consistent complaining about the autoplay feature and it is still going on is rather baffling.

I'm a bit confused about this. It was turned off several days before you wrote that it was *still* going on.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

I'm a bit confused about this. It was turned off several days before you wrote that it was *still* going on.

I just turned off the block, had another look, video still at the bottom of the page, still autoplaying. Nothing has changed.

Turned block back on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
Yep, just picked a random article from the drop down news menu, scrolled down, and music starts playing.

There are different kinds of auto-play. Some begin playing as soon as you load the page (some even slide the video window down as you scroll down, and one I just ran into let me pause it, but the instant I start scrolling down again, it starts playing again), some autoplay upon loading the page, but with the sound muted until you pass your cursor over it which makes the audio play, and some are like the ones you have here where it doesn't start playing until the top of the video window enters the screen as you scroll down. I actually haven't encountered many like the ANN one before.

Perhaps when they "turned it off," they turned off the wrong command or something? You said you'd asked them to not have autoplay from the very beginning, but they did it anyway, so maybe the misunderstanding was what kind of autoplay you didn't want? (I don't know who "they" is. Smile) All I know is nothing has changed.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
We confirmed that it's still auto-playing for some people, so we've removed the video.

When I test it here in Japan it does not auto-play. Thank you for letting me know that this isn't the case for everyone.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
So that's what those videos that were at the bottom of the threads were...
I didn't notice them for a while until I heard the noise from it auto-playing (before it became silent by default).

I know I'm late to the party saying this, but I wasn't impressed with their appearance due to them auto-playing with sound. Now that they're gone, however, it's of no concern to me anymore. Thanks for getting rid of them and thanks for your positive handling of feedback. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9