• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum moderation and white supremacists/neo nazi/etc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

I think your second point is a bit lacking. This isn't discussing the case of "unintended encounters" but rather the case of a user of your forums specifically and explicitly targeting other users in order to skirt your forum rules. In such a case does their attacking other posters not prove their comments on the forum are in bad faith? Again this isn't asking mods to police other areas, but to keep the forums operating on the ideas of a welcoming community and good faith discussion. If a user of this forum tracks down another to attack them for their //posts in this forum// then how is that not under your purview? Because the end result of that is that one of those people will most likely leave the forum, and do you want it to be the one chasing others away or the one simply trying to avoid being harassed for speaking here?

There's an important distinction TastySub.....if someone is bothering or even just annoying you or me or anyone else on a platform like twitter, a mute or a block is a few clicks away. With a message forum like this one that ability rarely if ever exists for the user, hence the need for strong moderation.

Though if there were evidence of a literal harassment campaign orchestrated by a member vs another, that'd be something to act on in my view. Hopefully that scenario will never come up.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
So this was a subject that came up on Twitter, with Chris Macdonald asking whether ANN should be banning people for "unethical" behavior off site, and I had some things to say there. But I'd like to elaborate a bit further, rather than just reposting what I tweeted at him.

First, as a general rule, I do think there are some cases where off site behavior should get someone in trouble here. But, I want to make it clear as to WHY I think that should be the case, and what I am asking, and not asking, the mods to actually do.

I am not asking for the mods to enforce the ANN forums rules (including whatever hopefully revised rules might come out of this thread) to other places, or saying that people on Twitter or whatever need to abide by the ANN code of conduct.

Like, I'll say right out, on Twitter I currently do NOT abide by it. On here, swearing is frowned on, the f word is filtered, and heavy use of other swears will get you in trouble. On here, I occasionally say s*** and leave it unfiltered and that's pretty much it. But on Twitter I'll drop f-bombs all the time depending on my mood.

On here, politeness is paramount, and if someone says something blatantly rule breaking, we're supposed to just report it and let the mods deal with it, not reply to it (or even worse, quote it and thus reproduce it) and clog up the thread. On here, if someone were to call me a wimpy Shonen Jump Weekly cuck soyboy, I'd just report it and ignore it. If someone called me that on Twitter, I'd probably just block them, but I might depending on the mood respond with "and you're a bigoted piece of trash." On ANN, under the current rules at least, that response of mine, and that insult, would be a violation and get me in trouble.

My point is, different sites will have different rules with various degrees of harshness, and there are plenty of people who are capable of following the more lax rules of one site, but then self moderating their behavior to follow the harsher rules of another site, and not cause any issues. So it's not about rule breaking, or asking the mods to police the rest of the Internet.

What it is about, though, is identifying toxic individuals. Like I said earlier in this thread, a white supremacist is inherently toxic to this community, is an individual motivated by hatred, and no matter what sort of rules you have in place, they will push up against them. If you learn that someone is a white supremacist, then banning them right away will save you the time and effort of instead banning them later after they've used their xth racist dogwhistle, and will make the community better.

So yes, I firmly believe that ANN should adopt a zero tolerance policy for hate speech, and that this policy should also mean posters who engage in hate speech/admit to being members of hate groups off site should be banned as well, if you happen to learn about it. Think of it less "policing social media" and more "hey this poster that so far hasn't shown their hand on the forums just gave us a gift and revealed on social media that they'll be a toxic and destructive part of the community, letting us just ban them now and saving us future trouble."

I said on Twitter that there were two types of off site behavior that I felt was worth giving forum users the boot: hate speech, and harassment. Hate speech is more clear cut, but the line between being "harassing" and being "obnoxious or annoying" is sometimes not as easy to tell, especially on sites that have drastically different rules regarding rudeness or insults, so I imagine there'd be more leniency here for borderline cases and the like.

I guess ultimately what I'm saying is that when it comes to off site behavior that the mods/admins happen to learn about, they need to ask themselves two questions.

First, is there a clear indication that this off-site account is indeed the same person as the forum poster in question? (This I think will actually probably be the hardest thing to determine a lot of the time, as there are a lot of people online who have very similar "talking points", and so they can kinda blend together at times)

And secondly, is there clear indication that, judging from this off site behavior, this person will be a toxic and destructive member of the community, ie is the behavior hate speech or harassment?

If the answers to both questions is "yes", then they get the boot. If the answer to one or more of the questions is "no" or "it's still a bit uncertain", then they don't get the boot, but perhaps you add them to the list of forum users you need to keep an extra close eye on.

EDIT: Also one thing I forgot to mention is that regarding whether some off-site is harassing enough to take action, recent forum actions could be taken into account. Like, say someone is specifically banned from continuing a certain behavior in a particular thread, ie soapboxing, insinuating negative things about a reviewer, and they get told by the mods to cut it out. And then they immediately hop on twitter to tweet the exact same things they were told to cut out at other participants of the thread they were banned from, or at the reviewer they disagreed with, then that's a clear and deliberate intent to skirt the rules by going off site.

Ultimately, I don't think that cases where off site behavior gets taken into account will happen all that often, but I do think that yes sometimes it CAN be a clear indication that someone is a toxic and destructive member of the community, and thus should be considered in those handful of cases where this occurs.

SECOND EDIT: Also BodaciousSpacePirate does make a fair point.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Considering we don't even have an effective system in place to deal with disruptive on-site behavior yet, I'd like to relegate "what to do about off-site interactions between community members" to the category of "next steps". I really, really think we're putting the card before the horse.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I am not on board with banning people here for external behavior. For one, to tackle the most ambigous case, where people on this board are being harrassed on another platform by someone else on this board. That is the only situation where I think it is even a debatable case, and upon some deep reflection, i think that my response is still going to be in the negative, primarily since if the harrassment is happening on another platform, how would banning them here help? Report it or block them on that platform, since that is the only thing that is going to really solve the problem. If someone uses this site to harrass someone, their ability to as such will be swiftly removed, but I think if the problem is happening elsewhere it is best dealt with elsewhere. There are several reasons for this, such as having to deal with different standards of evidence about things that happen on a platform that's not my domain, but the main reason I will go through below:

Mad_Scientist wrote:

What it is about, though, is identifying toxic individuals. Like I said earlier in this thread, a white supremacist is inherently toxic to this community, is an individual motivated by hatred, and no matter what sort of rules you have in place, they will push up against them. If you learn that someone is a white supremacist, then banning them right away will save you the time and effort of instead banning them later after they've used their xth racist dogwhistle, and will make the community better.

I do not think it is, or should be, our responsibility to make a judgment about who is or is not a 'toxic individual' as a general statement. The reason I'm here is to make ensure that these forums are a place where the discussion is high quality, proceeds smoothly, and is on-topic. Thus, I am going to enforce standards of behavior for the posting actions of the people on here. I really do not want to be the morality police, and I certainly don't want to engage in what is essentially trying to change what people's opinions are and what views they feel comfortable expressing by making people feel social costs for having them. That's a really bad way to change the general consensus, and I really don't like the rising trend of using it, so I do not want to be a part of that.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

There's an important distinction TastySub.....if someone is bothering or even just annoying you or me or anyone else on a platform like twitter, a mute or a block is a few clicks away. With a message forum like this one that ability rarely if ever exists for the user, hence the need for strong moderation.

Though if there were evidence of a literal harassment campaign orchestrated by a member vs another, that'd be something to act on in my view. Hopefully that scenario will never come up.

The distinction is important and why I felt the need to point out the not-actually-hypothetical scenario. If the same poster is using other users' forum posts to attack them elsewhere then it is an issue for the moderation team here, because that is where the abuse is originating. Sure, other sites thankfully have tools to block or mute, but if they have to see abuse and block it elsewhere as consequence of posting here do you think they will keep posting? Users aren't allowed to make sockpuppets here to attack others and avoid getting their main account banned, but saying they can keep doing that elsewhere even if it is obviously them is a problem. Again this is entirely based on the fact that it is easily identifiable. I know the mods are smart enough to see when a problem poster tries to make a sockpuppet here and mouths the same exact words in the same exact style and put two and two together in these cases, and that if this was at a point where the person on another site felt the need to let a mod know they would be able to do the same. I know in the end nothing stops the person from continuing to view the forums and attack people on them for what they say, but that doesn't mean that person should be allowed to be part of the community and give input as they attempt to chase others away.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
The reason I'm here is to make ensure that these forums are a place where the discussion is high quality, proceeds smoothly, and is on-topic.

When there are multiple ANN writers reporting that they modify or avoid expressing certain views in their articles out of fear of reprisal by the members of this forum, I feel pretty safe in arguing that in your role as a moderator, you have failed in 'The reason you're here'.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

I do not think it is, or should be, our responsibility to make a judgment about who is or is not a 'toxic individual' as a general statement. The reason I'm here is to make ensure that these forums are a place where the discussion is high quality, proceeds smoothly, and is on-topic. Thus, I am going to enforce standards of behavior for the posting actions of the people on here. I really do not want to be the morality police, and I certainly don't want to engage in what is essentially trying to change what people's opinions are and what views they feel comfortable expressing by making people feel social costs for having them. That's a really bad way to change the general consensus, and I really don't like the rising trend of using it, so I do not want to be a part of that.

I don't know about you, but "harrasses people online" seems a very clear-cut indicator of who is a toxic individual to my eyes. This is not about generating a consensus of opinions, but weeding out literal nazis, mysoginists, homophobes and white supremacists that have been crowding these forums for a long time and caused them to become infamous for their toxic environment because the rules allow them to be here.

It is true that it may be too soon to be considering consequences for off-forum behavior given that we don't even know if/how the rules will change from this, but it is a given fact that, more than once, users in these forums (the same group we all can easily identify) have purposefully gone through a staffer's twitter account and "exposed" a tweet or thread in which they expressed personal and political opinions about a certain show, with the clear intent to cause outrage among this same groups of users. These instances have caused the staffer in question to get virulently harrassed, and in one occassion they even had to lock their twitter for a few days. These cases seem a very obvious act with the clear intent of inciting people to attack and harrass the person in question. People who are using the leniency of the forum rules to orchestrate attacks on staffers are unquestionably toxic people and shouldn't be part of the community.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Galap wrote:
The reason I'm here is to make ensure that these forums are a place where the discussion is high quality, proceeds smoothly, and is on-topic.

When there are multiple ANN writers reporting that they modify or avoid expressing certain views in their articles out of fear of reprisal by the members of this forum, I feel pretty safe in arguing that in your role as a moderator, you have failed in 'The reason you're here'.

To be fair to Galap, I'd say the blame for this failure is not, from what I can tell, a failure of the mods, but of the rules they are supposed to enforce. That's why I've focused in this thread on changes to forum policy. Also, the fact that ANN writers have self censored due to forum reaction is a bit different of an issue than off site harassment.

But I do still ultimately stand by what I posted. I can see why Galap wouldn't want to go this route, and I'm currently having trouble thinking of any better way to reframe my arguments or points that wouldn't just be pointlessly repeating myself, so I'm not gonna say much more right now. But at the very least I'll reiterate that ANN should have a zero tolerance policy for hate groups/hate speech.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
This is ANN, not Twiiter.

We as mods are here to enforce OUR rules. Not the conduct of others elsewhere on social media. We are not the social media gestapo or police force. Not to mention we mods already work full time jobs with personal lives and still find the time to moderate here. Remember we are volunteers, we are not paid employees here.

Now you expect us to monitor every twitter account for every staff member here for attacks and personal insults? Not only that you expect us to play Sherlock Holmes and deduce who there on shitter MIGHT be someone here? Are you freaking nuts? Tell you what, when you pay my mortgage and car payment so I can waste hours a day doing that then I'll consider it. The other big caveat to that whole idea is how do you expect us to PROVE who might be tweeting is a particular poster here without them either saying the identical thing word for word, or flat out admitting it? If a twitter user flat out admitted who they were here, or the post was simply an identical match, then I would say the mods could take action if warranted. Otherwise it is simply an entirely unreasonable expectation.

As for the twitter user in question, that probable user here is already about to get the boot here as is for their soapboxing. Even if it's not the same person that user here is still on the way out at the rate they are going.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:25 am Reply with quote
^Please calm down, no one is saying you have to monitor twitter. I don't know why people asking for nazis to be removed from this forum has you reacting with "we're not the social media gestapo".

The idea iwas never to make you, volunteer mods, waste your lives making sure staff members or other users aren't harrassed on twitter or other social media. But that, if someone is made aware of a user of this forum acting in such a manner -harrassing someone or using hate speech-, that this could become part of a report against that user -especially if we're talking about users that have skirted the forum rules for a long time-, providing enough evidence that the twitter user is the same as the forum user. In this case, I'd say the responsibility of "Sherlock Holmes-ing" would be in the hands of the person making the report. I'm aware this has a lot of caveats, but that is the general idea.

Likewise, in the examples I have mentioned, when certain users make posts in this forum that very clearly (even if not verbally) are inciting hatred and harrassment towards staff members by bringing up something they tweeted (like this). This not only derails threads and turns them into a shitstorm, it rallies all the nazi lurkers to go attack the staffer in question on twitter, where the forum rules don't restrict their hate speech.

To summarize, it's not that we want you guys to monitor twitter, but that a) it shouldn't be allowed to post something in these forums that incites harrassment of another user outside of it and b) that there is at least a resource or ruling so that, if one can provide enough evidence that a user from this forum is harrassing them or spreading hate speech outside of the forum, said user faces consequences instead of being allowed to remain part of the community.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Now you expect us to monitor every twitter account for every staff member here for attacks and personal insults? Not only that you expect us to play Sherlock Holmes and deduce who there on shitter MIGHT be someone here? Are you freaking nuts? Tell you what, when you pay my mortgage and car payment so I can waste hours a day doing that then I'll consider it. The other big caveat to that whole idea is how do you expect us to PROVE who might be tweeting is a particular poster here without them either saying the identical thing word for word, or flat out admitting it?

No body has suggested anything like that, so you can calm down with your 'Slippery Slope, It'll Be Impossible' type argument.

If someone from the forum is very obviously using outside sources as a vector of attack on ANN users or writers and can be easily and clearly identified, banning them is a pretty trivial effort. No one has ever suggested that the moderators start running background checks on users. That's all you overreacting.

And yeah, maybe you SHOULD get paid? The moderator's are in a current in a situation where you've agreed to perform work for a corporation entirely for free. You don't see the writers falling for that 'Do it for free, because you love anime!' scam. However that is neither here nor there for this thread.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
How about a compromise, where off-site behavior by that user, when they are reported for potential hate speech, is utilized? I'm with the mods that I don't think there should be a need to weed out every person who has said problematic things on twitter, but if someone says something suspect on this board, their actions outside the board can be used to tell if they really are just awful.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:

And yeah, maybe you SHOULD get paid? The moderator's are in a current in a situation where you've agreed to perform work for a corporation entirely for free. You don't see the writers falling for that 'Do it for free, because you love anime!' scam. However that is neither here nor there for this thread.

Unless they are paid staff in some other capacity in my experiences elsewhere moderators on web forums are more often than not volunteers. Most online web forums that require them are not even companies that generate revenue to begin with. It's not some "scam" we were somehow tricked into like you're suggesting. There is also a huge difference between what we do and the reviewers or columnists who create a product to be used by ANN as a company. We are not creating a product that will used to generate revenue and further the brand of this company.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Unless they are paid staff in some other capacity in my experiences elsewhere moderators on web forums are more often than not volunteers. Most online web forums that require them are not even companies that generate revenue to begin with. It's not some "scam" we were somehow tricked into like you're suggesting. There is also a huge difference between what we do and the reviewers or columnists who create a product to be used by ANN as a company. We are not creating a product that will used to generate revenue and further the brand of this company.

Then that problem is easily solved then, isn't it? If the forums and the comment threads for articles do not generate revenue, and are in no way a value add to the company by attracting more views to the site and generating ad revenue, get rid of them. No forum, no users, no posts, no need for modetation. Isn't that all neat and clean isn't it?

Thought I'd argue that such a forum and the community it can foster is indeed a value add and it can draw in revenue to a company. But if you disagree, then by all means, this forum would be a waste of server resources, right?

Also, at most any company, many support departments generate zero revenue. They only facilitate other departments revenue generation. ...that's why those people don't work for free. :p
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't use Facebook or Twitter, and I don't want my any of my ANN subscription money being used to pay people to examine activity on those sites... and speaking of money...

Tempest wrote:
Across the board, the advertising landscape has become much more challenging for small-medium sized publishers like ANN. Companies are getting much more demanding, their budgets are getting much more constrained, and cut-throat competition and networks are bringing prices down. The result is that publishers need to look for revenue from different places, and one of those places is from our readers. It's not just ANN, you're seeing it everywhere in media. This is the way things are in 2018, the 100%-ad-supported model just doesn't work like it used to.

As for ANN's exact financial situation, I can't divulge it. What I can say is that our cashflow was quite negative in 2017. We finished the year with a lot less money in the bank than we started with. To be fair, this was actually planned and expected. Our plans were to spend a lot of money of development in 2017, and we did that. Unfortunately, we also earned much less revenue from advertising than we expected, so the deficit at the end of the year was more significant than expected.

ANN isn't going to go bankrupt in 2018. But if we have another year like 2017, we'll have no choice but to make unfortunate changes at ANN. Maybe that means more invasive advertising, maybe it means paywalls, maybe it means cutting expenses, or god forbid, maybe it means cutting payroll.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8