• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scraping the bottom of the barrel . . .

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
. . . the worst of the worst anime in 2013

This posting is inspired by ikillchicken's post in which he states that he will initiate a "worst of 2013" thread. It's been 24 hours since he typed that out, so I'm taking the liberty of initiating the thread myself (assuming that that's OK with the moderators, that is!). I freely admit to having a snarky streak in me Twisted Evil . By the way, feel free to add dishonorable mentions!

Character: Was there anyone who just absolutely and unforgivably stuck in your craw?

Moment: Was there any one scene that just caused you to scream -- or make you want to scream -- invectives (with flying spittle) at the screen?

Art & Sound: O.S.T., character designs, background details, OP/EDs, etc. Was there any one thing jarringly awful?
and finally.....

Show: Was there any show that was just so all-around awful as to deserve being tarred with this brush?!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'll bite, and for extra funsies I will try and get it to match the style of the one I used in the other thread, although this will be what I watched, not what I dropped

Shows

Worst Overall TV Show of the Year:
Amnesia
I was trying to do an elimination of worst shows from each season, until I decided to search for how many shows I rate "Bad", in which I learned Amnesia is the only show I have given that rating to, and the lowest rating of the year. I should not grip on it too hard, I did in fact finish it, and thus why I can put it here, and I had fun with how terrible it could be. A notable moment when she spoiler[ends up locked in a cage, apparently for her own good, the first thing she does when she escapes is run to her journal instead of going to the police, and she is totally ok with what he did because she knows he loves her].

Worst Overall Movie of the Year:
I did not really watch many movies, so I can't really say.

Forgotten Coal of the Year:
Minami-ke Tadaima
What? Minami-ke had another season? Well honestly I enjoyed a few parts of this, part it has just gotten to the point that there is little really left when there has been like 12 seasons (the type that brings snow or rain, not the tv kind) within the same year. It really seemed to get little attention, in fact I think the forum was practically empty for it. Again there actually was some funny parts and it looked like things were moving, but it is like no one cares.

Most Unexpected disappointment:
RDG: Red Data Girl
I actually had quite high hopes for this series, the preview looked exciting and there seemed to be some good mystery and atmosphere. But in the end it just became a confusing mess that did not quite know what it was doing.

Characters

Worst Individual Character:
Futo Asahina - Brothers Conflict
I doubt that I can begin to convey how much I hated this character, how much wanted to grab that little punk and punch in face, hopefully disfiguring his face enough to stop his career. All this douchebagery of a character from a girls show, and treated like a superstar while he forced himself on his stepsister and acted like she belonged to him. Probably why I dropped Diabolic Lovers when I did since I did not want an entire show of him.

Worst Couple or Pair:
Kirino and Kousaka - Oreimo 2
The thing is that I was so happy with a certain pairing that I was over the moon with happiness. But then shit happened, and in turn this happened, it made me feel quite sick from it, and I am not as against as some, hey personal choice. But this... just felt wrong rather than romantic.

Worst Villain or Antagonist
Roberto - Galilia Donna
So he is apparently a rich kid who's family died because hobos that were given his birthday feast did not help, thus learning darkness. For some reasons he spends all of his time making paper cranes, killing people indiscriminately, and we are given barely any information that would explain his need to kill the girls or how his agent apparently loves him. Also we don't know why he spoiler[killed his adopted father].

Moments

Worst Individual Scene:
Flowers of Evil - The walk
I know some apparently got something out of this, but I was not a person that enjoyed watching 8 minutes of characters walking. If I recall I was actually pretty fuming after I watched it in feeling that I had just wasted so much time.

Worst Plot Twist:
Kimi no Iru Machi - Who Haruto likes
It was pretty clear spoiler[due to anime logic that he liked Eba, but he had been screwed around by her multiple times and he had a good thing going with him and Asuka. But just as he is starting to go strong with Asuka he then gets caught essentially lying and we learn the "secret" that he actually likes Eba, so he pretty much breaks Asuka's heart.]

Worst Fight:
BlazBlue Alter Memory - pick one
There actually were some not bad fights, but the majority of them were just so uninteresting that I just zoned out. You would have thought they could make them all cool since it is based on a fighting game. Perhaps put in more effort, like maybe the occasional CG could work well.

Worst Death:
Amnesia - spoiler[Heroine]
I thought choosing one would be hard, but when I looked at the picture I knew it had to be from this series. The thing is that spoiler[she dies multiple times, and it looked like she could die from pitiful things like being hit by a car and falling out of a boat, being thrown off a roof of a hospital, that it is somewhat funny with her getting thrown off the roof of a hospital, and denying common sense in braving a storm and running to the guy trying to kill her].

Art & Sound

Worst Visual Design:
Flowers of Evil
Some liked it, but I found that the rotoscope hurt my sense of sight. It really was an interesting idea and there could be some interesting things that came out. But still it was baaaad, characters had no faces if they were some distance into the background, movement looked choppy, and characters that according to original material were cool beauties actually looked pretty bad. Even the pretty character did not quite look right.

Worst Music:
N/A
Sorry, I can't really think of much, I tended zone out when music is not great, and it is not like many singing shows have terrible music exactly.

Worst Voice Performance:
Senran Kagura - Yu Kobayashi (Katsuragi)
This probably a little unfair, as I don't really remember many terrible acting, and chances are there are worst within this show. But I just found her voice to be really annoying, I thought that I might like it on some meta level, but it never really got like that. The role probably has some reasoning.

Worst Opening Sequence:
Galilei Donna - Synchromanica
Probably my personal taste, but I hated the song from the firs time I heard it, it just does not sound right to my ears. Well the entire series turned out to be a train wreck, so what can I say. The OP likes to also show one sister doing karate, which never seems to have any real impact in the series at all, and I was not a fan of how the youngest sister appears dressed in it.

Worst Ending Sequence:
Cuticle Detective Inaba - Prima Stella
Do you know it is a terrible idea for an ED of a comedy series that is full funny random moments with a number of interesting character designs? An uninteresting serenade by an animated goat, add in the occasional Italian stereotype or wall of a late night talk show into the background, and I will skip it basically every time.

Well, it is my list and I have my own tastes, so I am sure others will be different.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Like DP, this will be only shows I watched from start to finish so no Flowers of Evil where I only one watched episode of nothing happening! even if the music tried to tell me otherwise or Red Data Girl where I just kind of wandered away from it.

Worst TV show
Blood Lad. "Ok, that was your first show and it was decent. Go on." "What do you mean, 'Go on'? Can't we just replay meaningless shounen fights, copy the heroine, pretend we'll move the story forward by going backwards and call all ten episodes of only just that a season?" "Why?"

Worst Waste of a budget round two, a dishonorable mention.
Leviathan. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very much of anything. Needed an overall villain, some background, a more interesting world, stronger main heroines, more kick in the visual designs...

Wait, that's Nanoha. Moving on...

Worst Character
Kazuhito from Dog and Scissors from both a development standpoint and a design aspect as well as creatively, especially when compared to the female lead which leads to...

Worst Couple
Kazuhito and Kirihime, the literal dog and scissors from Dogs and Scissors. Romantic pairing? Please, I'm thinking in pure comedic terms. Oh no, no, I'm thinking about it...

Worst Hero or Protagonist
The Devil is a Part Timer. I leave it to all of you out there to sort out who's what exactly as the show never went into details on how "villainous" or "heroic" everyone was.

Worst Excuse for Animation
Kill la Kill. Ironically, it doesn't make it uncreative, just really cheap.

Worst Excuse for Production Design
Photo Kano. You know, when you do a "multiple girl" game adaptation, your most interesting and only interesting female design shouldn't be used for the one single non target. The "winner" should have been Dangaropa but I never managed to finish it. A real pity, sort of...

Worst Music
Outbreak Company. Da da da. Uh, yeah. Dada da da. As you said. Da da da dada da. Stop it!

Worst Performance
Sugita from Samurai Flamenco. You're a rock, a tree. Project more boredom! Are you even trying not to try?
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Worst Show:

Genshiken III.... what an awful, painful sad joke of a farce this turned out to be. I loved season 1 and II, they had depth, dignity and fun, wrapped around a wonderful set of characters and an interesting story.

this third version was a horrid nightmare parody that made fools and clowns out of all of the good characters and dragged out the others one by one and killed them with shallow and trite make overs and featured the worst of the characters the horrid Americans. I am sad beyond belief as i had hoped for more of what we had before. thankfully the new staff cannot go back and ruin what they had no ability to follow. I am too sick about this to post any other of your good sub topics.

and I am sorry but i LOVED Hataraku Maou-sama! Demon King it was superb in every way and each character was very well done esp the main protagonist. True it was a comedy and a rather ribald work over of supernatural themes but the setting in daily life was superb and I hope for more. I really love it and will re watch it many times.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
and I am sorry but i LOVED Hataraku Maou-sama! Demon King it was superb in every way and each character was very well done esp the main protagonist. True it was a comedy and a rather ribald work over of supernatural themes but the setting in daily life was superb and I hope for more. I really love it and will re watch it many times.

That wasn't my point; While watching the show, it's fine but afterwards, you realize just you just saw the aftermath of a literal holy war that gave sympathy to the devils and cast doubt on the side of angels so yes, worst heroes and villains.

No, let me guess, later we learn "our heroes" were misunderstood while "their heroes" were misguided and yes, I know that's the angle the show tries to take, I'm just calling it BS right here and now because that only works if the war never happened, it was all just a misunderstanding and no one died, just lost in a clerical error.

In short, Maou's too nice to be a hero, too demonic to be a villain. Something like that...

I forgot Openings and Endings.
Worst Opening
Leviathan. The key word is "barely"; Barely animated, barely composited, barely there at all.

Worst Ending
Leviathan. Again. A little more lively, characters look bored out of their minds. Were they trying to make a satire or something?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
Worst Anime of 2013: Diabolik Lovers

I didn't even have to think about that. This was the most awful piece of trash of the year, possibly of all time. Nothing but some poor woman being physically and verbally abused by a bunch of vampiric douchebags who imprision her and use her like livestock. I can't believe nobody has mentioned this stinking pile of s*** yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I didn't even have to think about that. This was the most awful piece of trash of the year, possibly of all time. Nothing but some poor woman being physically and verbally abused by a bunch of vampiric douchebags who imprision her and use her like livestock. I can't believe nobody has mentioned this stinking pile of s*** yet.

I could not as I did not finish it. What I saw was horrible and I wish practically all of the characters dead, but at the time I could get myself to continue the torture, I had already seen too many girls in the year be abused. I could barely take the characters in Brothers Conflict forcing themselves on the heroine and treating her like an object.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I was doing a huge list of categories but then I lost it. So you get a much shorter list.

Following the common "had to have watched it all" rule it really cuts down a lot of shows. Especially since my tendancy to drop shows was a lot stricter in 2013 than in past years. I am excluding final episodes and bonus OVA episodes and stuff.

I am doing one award that breaks this rule though:

Quickest dropped show

While 2012 actually holds this award to such a level I doubt it'll ever be beaten (Arcana Famiglia was dropped in under 15 seconds. EPIC) Flowers of Evil was pretty damn fast. Like, within the first few minutes.

Most offensive to my personal tastes:
Infinite Stratos 2
And it also wins my "I really wanted it to be good" award. There are 5 things that I adore in anime- Mecha musume, dragon girls, demon girls, witches and yandere. This is likely why IS2 takes this award. Something about a show so hopelessly sucking despite being filled with mecha musume, nay, adding MORE of mecha musume, really pissed me off on a nearly spiritual level. It's like somebody murdering your favourite song. So why doesn't Leviathan take this award? Meh, I laughed a few times and I liked the character designs. Also it was a Gonzo series based on a pay-to-win smartphone CCG so I wasn't expecting much.

One of these days somebody will make a yuri-fest anime about mecha musume dragon girls in a survival game against mecha musume demon witches where the yandere comes out on top and I'll buy 50 copies of the BDs. The show will be absolutely horrible. And when it's over and the flames have died down I'll remember Infinite Stratos and I'll weep.

Worst creature design
I'm sorry, Symphogear G. You know I love you. I'm importing your BDs and Super Heroine Chronicle largely for you. But those Noise look completely stupid. Especially in a medium like anime where average monster designs are usually fantastic.

Worst Fight Scenes
Blazblue is a strong candidate here but my award actually goes to Hyperdimension Neptune. I love both shows and both have some absolute crap fight scenes but at least BlazBlue animates theirs.

Worst Resolution
Oreimo. Never before have I seen a plot resolution fueled by pure marketing be so directly against what I liked in a previous twist. This one will stick like an arrow in my heart for a good long while, no doubt. I actually hope nothing ever tops it because that would mean an even bigger punch in the face for me.

----

Looking over the 2013 list on Wikipedia I realize this was a really good year for me. I watched and loved a load of stuff. If 2014 is even better then I'll be a happy happy bango.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quickest dropped show

While 2012 actually holds this award to such a level I doubt it'll ever be beaten (Arcana Famiglia was dropped in under 15 seconds. EPIC) Flowers of Evil was pretty damn fast. Like, within the first few minutes.

Yeah, I also got through the first episode of Flowers of Evil and simply felt like "well, that happened" and wasn't interested enough to follow up.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
would you explaining or me watching Arcana be quicker in understanding why you dropped it at 15 sec?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

This one gets my "Most Uncomfortable Show to Watch of 2013" award.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
would you explaining or me watching Arcana be quicker in understanding why you dropped it at 15 sec?
I can't recall what's wrong with the first 15 seconds, but, having watched it all the way through, I can say it was definitely the right decision. The game clearly has enough fans to be animated, so I'm guessing it didn't suck nearly as badly - the thought of which makes the anime even more craptastic in hindsight.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Naturally watching it would, but only do so if it's of absolutely no expense to yourself. Also why I dropped it on 15 seconds might be a personal taste thing. Basically, in 15 seconds the show gave off an aura I loathe. Lots of shows have this dreaded feel but I've never encountered one that displayed it so quickly. For comparisson a friend of mine hates fanservice and even Queen's Blade goes longer than that without any. ToLoveRu goes a whole minute.

Don't read if you're going to watch it-
spoiler[It opens with a handsome young man in a suit, backed by other men in suits, drawing a katana and declaring that the stately-looking folk before him are smugglers and they'll be arrested. Then one of the smugglers throws a lit bundle of dynamite at them.] Yeah, that's likely nothing to most people. But it just struck such a bad cord with me it was like walking into a room with demonic symbols on the walls in blood and a little girl with horns sitting in the middle of the room asking if I was her daddy. I needed to get out quick.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Just a few random ones:

Worst Twist:
You know, there was a year back in the day...1998 I think...that gave us both Trigun and Cowboy Bebop (and in the same season no less). I wouldn't relish having to pick a best show that year. I mean, I'd have to pick Bebop. But in doing so, I'd just feel like I'm not giving the other its due credit. Trigun is fantastic and would win hands down if only it aired practically any other year. But it didn't. I have to choose. And that being the case, Well...congrats Galilei Donna! You're the Trigun of sucking. Any other year you'd win for your sudden, 11th hour bout of totally unforecasted time travel. But not in the face of Samurai Flamenco. Gorillatine is the single most bizarre, unexpected, inappropriate, out of place and all around awful twist I have seen in an anime to date. It requires a five step grieving process just to come to terms with.

Worst Premise: Amnesia
As I rule I would say that if you ever pass out, and when you wake up you can't remember anything but a floating elf man that only you can see tells you not to go to the hospital or tell anyone about your condition...DO NOT LISTEN. You have suffered serious head trauma and need to seek immediate medical attention.

Quickest Drop: Unbreakable Machine Doll
So there's this guy who is a puppeteer which means he has this robot. And this robot is a sexy loli girl who is totally in love with him and wants to get in his pants annnnnnd I'm done. Better luck next time. Goodbye.

Worst CG: Walkure Romance
That Horse continues to haunt my dreams.

Hands Down Worst Thing: Diabolik Lovers
The way awful, cruel, creepy behavior often gets framed as "romatic" in some anime is really unpleasant to begin with. But a show that basically just straight up says: "It's about a girl being abused a bunch"...ew. Just ew.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
Just for basics: I'm only mentioning shows I watched full (with one exception) and well, I just really hate Amnesia a lot

Shows

Worst Overall TV Show of the Year:
Amnesia
I had many in mind, but Amnesia was the only terrible show I watched all the way through (although Galilei Donna was a close competitor) I really don't understand how anyone with a pair of ovaries can watch this garbage and go "dokidoki kyunkyun"

Worst Overall Movie of the Year:
Haven't watched any movie from this year apart from Garden of Words, which is amazing, so nothing here.

Forgotten Coal of the Year:
Karneval
It just never went anywhere. The only reason I watched it through is because the characters were so pretty. But it just bored me brainless

Most Unexpected disappointment:
Severing Crime Edge
It had such a sweet first episode and then managed to become a pile of shit in the second half, ending with one of the worst ever ending scenes (Kiri making out with jellyboobed villainess or smth) and then porny montages because it sold like crap and will never get a second season. Extra terribleness for its unending creativity to put Iwai in humiliating and disturbing situations. Gah.

Characters

Worst Individual Character:
Heroine, Amnesia. She doesn't even have a name, for chrissake! I really hoped she'd stay dead.

Worst Couple or Pair:
Touma and Heroine, Amnesia. "I love you, so I'll put you in a cage and you only get out of it to pee" "Kya, you must love me so much!!!"

Roberto - Galilei Donna
"I'm so [expletive] evil because some hobos ate my birthday cake and now I want to see the world BURN. Also, I make paper cranes to look interesting"

Moments

Worst Individual Scene:
Tie:
Amnesia, Heroine sinking like a rock. No more words needed
Galilei Donna, Courtroom scene. "Let's see if we can top ourselves in terrible writing and stupidity with 12 minutes of animation"

Worst Plot Twist:
Il sole blablabla spoiler[Ginka's "death" and later coming back to life. The whole counterpart tarot card thingy was just a cheap plot device to kill off Ginka and make up some drama just to have her come back with the power of love and friendship garbage]

Worst Fight:
Tarot magic girls vs Cerebrum in Il sole blablabla. It was just terrible, clichéd and horribly scripted

Worst Death:
Amnesia - Heroine sinking like a rock. There are no words for how much I hated that scene

Art & Sound

Worst Visual Design:
Flowers of Evil
I didn't watch it full, but really, the rotoscope looked so ugly and clumsy. I don't know, it just didn't work for me at all.

Worst Music:
I really don't pay attention to BGM, so dunno.

Worst Voice Performance:
Yuu Mizushima (Subaru, Saint Seiya Omega) All he does is scream. I hate his stupid screams

Worst Opening Sequence:
Danganronpa. I can't explain why, I just hated it. Also, the dancing Monokuma was horribly disturbing

Worst Ending Sequence:
Kyousougiga. I loved that show to bits; I even rated it Masterpiece. But the ending was so forgettable and didn't seem to make any sense visually or musically with what the series was about. It was just seriously disappointing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2