• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
How do you pronouce Merleawe's name from Magical x Miracle? It looks like MER-lee-vay, but since there's no "v" sound in Japanese I'd assume it's either MER-lee-way or MER-lee-wee. I hope it's not the last one; that just sounds stupid.

The Japanese original, as seen in this site (for example, in this picture) is メルリーウィ or Meruriiwi (ウィ is regular katakana U + small katakan I, and is generally accepted as corresponding to Western WI, for instance in William).

Given Japanese pronunciation, I'd say the closest you'll get to it is [MAIR-lee-wee].

Of course, you could just do what the Japanese apparently do (they have no patience for convoluted names), and call her Meru (to rhyme with Nehru).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Could someone please tell me how to care and feed my new manga, so that they will look just as fresh, when I am old and grey?

Are manga printed on acid-free paper?

Does anyone have bags for manga, like there are for comic books?
My normal sources are dry in this regard. I may not do this, but just keep them with all my other books, in my "library."
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
Could someone please tell me how to care and feed my new manga, so that they will look just as fresh, when I am old and grey?

Are manga printed on acid-free paper?

Does anyone have bags for manga, like there are for comic books?
My normal sources are dry in this regard. I may not do this, but just keep them with all my other books, in my "library."

Place them on your bookshelf like the rest of your books. Just keep your enviroment (room) clean. I wouldn't bother with bags or anything like that, they arn't worth much.
Zavebe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:36 am Reply with quote
I was trying to find a good (actually, any at this point would do fine and dandy) Josei magazine in the US. Are there any? Or will I just have to deal with flowers and bubbles...

-Zavebe
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Zavebe wrote:
I was trying to find a good (actually, any at this point would do fine and dandy) Josei magazine in the US. Are there any? Or will I just have to deal with flowers and bubbles...

-Zavebe

Nope. The only two magazine that I'm aware of is Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat, both by Viz. Even the selection of Josei graphnic novel are very slim, the few I know of: Happy Mania & Erica Sakurazawa's book from Tokyopop. Perhaps when the shojo crowd mature in the future, we might see more Josei title.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
How do you say "Yotsuba&!"? I've been saying it "Yotsuba and", but a friend told me the exclamation point is supposed to be read as "I", so the correct pronunciation is "Yotsuba and I". Which way is right?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
How do you say "Yotsuba&!"? I've been saying it "Yotsuba and", but a friend told me the exclamation point is supposed to be read as "I", so the correct pronunciation is "Yotsuba and I". Which way is right?

The original title was written as よつばと! (Yotsubato!). I honestly don't think the exclamation mark was meant to be an inverted letter "I."

Just call it "Yotsubato!" and you'll be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original title was written as よつばと! (Yotsubato!).

Then why did ADV stick on an unnecessary ampersand for the North American release?
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original title was written as よつばと! (Yotsubato!).

Then why did ADV stick on an unnecessary ampersand for the North American release?

The と in Yotsubato! is essentially the Japanese equivalent of the English 'and' which is represented by the ampersand. Basically, ADV was attempting to be clever, and instead ended up with a title graphic that looks clunky and rather awkward. The ampersand just wasn't intended to be paired with other punctuation like that.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki wrote:

The と in Yotsubato! is essentially the Japanese equivalent of the English 'and' which is represented by the ampersand. Basically, ADV was attempting to be clever, and instead ended up with a title graphic that looks clunky and rather awkward.

It was not ADV's idea. On the cover of the Japanese tankoubon, both "よつばと!" and "Yotsuba&!" are clearly visible, while "Yotsubato!" is a pronunciation / transiteration, not the official title. ADV simply followed the original title.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
This can't be right (Please answer! I'm exremely confused):

I've read Dragonball sold 126 million in Japan. 0ther places said 130 million (which I tend to believe). And if you type "The most sold manga of the history in Japan" using Ctrl+F at this site, http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:fr_piu41av0J:www.indotekken.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-75.html+latest+Kochikame+chapter&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=16, is says DB the number one with 160 mllion (impossible in Japan, it seems but more likely overall global sales). Please explain.

Alas, those 20+ years it's been around has helped make it an industry over $3 billion. Wow.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
On this site's entry for Cyborg 009, it says there 36 tankoubon. Another site I saw said it was 20 something. Yet the "full series" by TokyoPop was only 10. Was TP's like a remake? I know manga sometimes gets remade by same author (Matsumoto's GE 999). Also, I know they call them "phone books" or "manga anthologies", but what is the actual Japanese word for this? Thanks!
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 orginally ended at 10 volumes. However the fans wanted more, and were disappointed by the spoiler[tragic nature of the ending] so Ishinomori felt compelled to cotninue the series again. It ran until his death, and "ended" (wasn't actually concluded) at 30-something volumes I think. Tokyopop published it until 10, which was the original ending for the series.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I still don't quite understood that last post. In the manga, OO3/009 have a romantic relationship. Knowing how romance in manga often have characters don't saying those 3 simple words, do at they at least kiss or almost?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 45