• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyde... a Jesus rocker?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I know next to nothing about J-rock. The only music I've heard from Japan outside of anime theme songs is limited to Gackt, Dir en Grey, and Miyavi, so forgive me for this seriously stupid question.

I was reading the Tofu artists page for Hyde, and it mentioned "spiritual rock as his inspiration." When I hear the words "spiritual rock," I think of fat chicks crying in church, waving their arms around because they're afriad they'll be damned for eternity should they dance and allow the devil to enter their bodies and tept them. Hyde looks like a really cool guy, but I'm personally not a fan of inspirational music (can you tell?) so I've been skeptical on listening to his music. Not to mentioned there's a picture of Jesus on the CD cover and songs have titles like "Jesus Christ."

Is Hyde a a Jesus rocker?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Do you mean like contemporary rock?
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, talk about a rude bias.

Anyway, this thread is just slightly silly. You can't judge Hyde as a religious rocker until you actually listen to his music, and in an American's case, read the lyrics.

I've heard a bit of his solo stuff, but I'm not a huge fan so I haven't looked at translations. I do not believe he's a Christian rocker, but don't quote me on that: and furthermroe, what he believes is his business and he has every right to sing about it, should he feel the need. Secular rock stars who are religious will often include a religious song or two on their regular ablums - ex: like powerhouse group U2.

Also, with shaky translations, its' easy to misinterpret lyrics. Hell, look at Dir en Grey's latest single, Clever Sleazoid. The 'official' translation can easily be interpreted to have deep western religious connections, and....come on, This is DEG, of all bands....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt Hyde would've named his second solo album '666' if he was a Christian rocker. Also spiritual does not always equal Christian, and can be used for any religion or creed out there. What it's probably talking about is the fact that Hyde does bring in faith and some religion into his songs, though it's hardly anything like 'God is great', and more like a questioning of those things.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
He's probably just using Christian elements superficially because they're interesting to him....?

I mean ... no one would mistake Evangelion for the Left Behind series, right?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm really confused and I don't appreciate the Jesus cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lion-san

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
Hyde isn't a christan rocker xD
thats like saying dir en grey sings about lolipops and sunshine :p

but seriously i think he is really into the idea of christans tho
like he says like "god help me now" and such in some songs but no he's no christan rocker ~nods~

btw im a bit meh on the cover of the new album but for sure the songs are hot this time around Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally with Patachu on this one.
I think it's something akin to having Christian images in anime. The Japanese view Christianity as something foreign and unique and use it to put a certain style in anime. Christian imagery that the creators may have seen or heard about make an anime trendy. But that doesn't mean the artists have Christian beliefs or are interested in converting to another religion, if any.

I wouldn't use Evangelion as an example because it's more of an exception, in that a certain spiritualism was meant to be conveyed in that series. A better example would be Chrono Crusade and Hellsing.

So remember the case with Hyde, his CDs are primarily targeted towards Japanese fans, but he knows well enough that he is popular enough to appeal to other Asian cultures and the West where Christianity is more prevelant. Perhaps he sees this as a way to appeal to both the Japanese by being "trendy" and to appeal to Westerners by having images that they can relate with. Heck, the controversy alone that it seems to be stirring is advertisement enough.
Wink

btw I bought my Hyde concert tickets, and I'm going to Anaheim in July. Woo hoo! heh heh heh.
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
When I hear the words "spiritual rock," I think of fat chicks crying in church, waving their arms around because they're afriad they'll be damned for eternity should they dance and allow the devil to enter their bodies and tept them.

What emotional/spiritual scarring has occurred in your life, my friend?

The mentioning of Jesus or any religious icon/image/symbol should not put the song into such a small categorical box that you've created out of naivete and bias.

I suggest you expand your music tastes and even get a dip into various bands that are *Gasp!* Christian. There are pleasant gems in that lot, and they don't sound anything alike: mewithoutYou, Underoath, and Sufjan Stevens to name a few.
ladyxhaze

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
actually, hyde isnt a christian rocker because he doesnt believe there is a god... he feels that if there was a god, then how come theres hunger and war? i dunno... thats juss wut he said in his interview...
Kazuhiko

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
Man! Upon reading the title of this thread, an image of HYDE holding an electric guitar while dressed like a priest in front of an altar suddenly entered my mind! Confused

HYDE? A Christian rocker? Not likely. Wink
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
I've listened to the album; and no it's not Christian rock at all. No way at all would Danny Lohner (Nine Inch Nails' former bassist; and bassist on this CD) be part of a Christian rock CD.

It rocks so hard. There are moments where it sound like I'm listening to Stone Sour; and other times it sounds like HIM. Highly recommend it.

Also on the album are guitarist KAZ, The Cult and The Mission UK member Scott Garrett on drums, and Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, and No Doubt engineer Sean Beavan.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Seca wrote:
I highly doubt Hyde would've named his second solo album '666' if he was a Christian rocker. Also spiritual does not always equal Christian, and can be used for any religion or creed out there. What it's probably talking about is the fact that Hyde does bring in faith and some religion into his songs, though it's hardly anything like 'God is great', and more like a questioning of those things.

Just letting you beforehand I'm a huuuggge Hyde fan...

If you don't know, they're also a pun behind the name "666"

6 in japanese is pronouced "roku", which is the same way to pronouced "rock" in japanese. Thus it can be "Rock Rock Rock" , which is the name of one of Hyde's photo books

As what today's interview with hyde says, he uses some Christian terms to protray contridictions. He said that it's like putting all your faith in a wish that won't come true. Somethign like that
Kamon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I wouldn't use Evangelion as an example because it's more of an exception, in that a certain spiritualism was meant to be conveyed in that series.

Mmmmmm...not really. The creators have openly stated that the christian imagery in Eva was used "because it looked cool."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SHOJOISCOOL3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think the Japanese in general have a fascination with Christianity. For instance, it is the in thing to have an actor dress up like a preacher to officiate over your wedding. Only 1% of the Japanese are Christian, and many of those are Korean immigrants (which has a large Christian population). I heard themes and Christian words used in songs, symbolysm in anime (Evangelion/FMA) ect. Now, that is only my impression from news articles ect. in English. But I believe that someone mentioning Christianity is due to it being somewhat "cool".

Last edited by SHOJOISCOOL3 on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2