• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This can't be right (Please answer! I'm exremely confused)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
I've read Dragonball sold 126 million in Japan. 0ther places said 130 million (which I tend to believe). And if you type "The most sold manga of the history in Japan" using Ctrl+F at this site, http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:fr_piu41av0J:www.indotekken.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-75.html+latest+Kochikame+chapter&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=16, is says DB the number one with 160 mllion (impossible in Japan it seems but more likely overall global sales). Please explain.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
Why is it "impossible in Japan"? Because the sales (160 million) outstrip the population (127 million)?

Has it occurred to you that they might be counting individual sales? As I recall, there are 42 tankoubon in the series. That means only about 4 million copies sold of each volume. Sounds about right for Japan... maybe even a bit on the low side.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Another thing that should come to mind is that they have been selling the tankoubon for more than a decade, and are still selling it new.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1