• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do so many Cross Game fans not only dislike Adachi's older works esp Touch?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuknight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I wrote this as a rebuttal to some of the "Seinfeld is Unfunny" bashing of Touch. .

https://www.reddit.com/r/MixMeiseiStory/comments/evoven/is_it_really_fair_to_criticize_touchs/

So I though to discuss this other specific trend I notice in the otaku subculture recently.

All across Reddit, Youtube, Tumblr, and various blog communities and anime fourms, not only do so many Cross Game fans frequently bash Touch as outdated, bland, and even a waste of time, but they often reap plenty of criticisms on Adachi's other masterpieces such as H2, Nine and even non-baseball sports bestsellers including but not limited to Miyuki, Rough, and more.

I even seen criticism toards Mix Meisi for feeling dated and not having the atmosphere and writing Cross Game does esp towards romance!

Why is this? In particular I notice the most vocal hate towards other works esp Touch seems to come from people who were introduced to Adachi first by Cross Game (in some cases even sports manga genre period).

I mean for all their criticism on H2 and others, they fail to realize Cross Game is not even on the bestselling manga of all time list and it only managed to get really popular today because of international audience thanks to Funimation and other Western distributors picking it up just in time for the anime boom. While several of the bashed works such as Miyuki, H2, and esp Touch sold over 25 million minimal with H2 was comparable to Yu Yu Hakusho in its heyday in popularity and to this day Touch remains one of the most beloved manga in Japan of all time period (not only selling over 100 million copies but literally fighting toe to toe with Dragon Ball and even surpassing the anime version of Z in popularity with the Touch anime in TV ratings)! I mean Touch alone was so big they made an animated trilogy after the TV series ended and followed up witha movie 20 years later and eventually we got a sequel in Mix Meisei!

So I don't understand how Cross Game fans cannot appreciate the older works of Adachi that were bestselling giants. Hell I even seen some attack mix Meisei for not feeling "2000ish" in the way Cross Game is (and at least on person criticism was that it felt too much like Touch)!

Why is this? Esp considering how huge H2, Miyuki, and esp Touch was in Japan (and the latter still is beloved and continues to sell well in manga copies and even rebroadcasted a few times)! In the case of Touch we are talking about an anime adaptation that was so big it ranks in top 15 most watched anime of all time with a rating of 30% and surpassing even DBZ and One Piece by a considerable percentage and practically is in the same level of fame that both One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and Dragon Ball is in Japan!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:26 am Reply with quote
People can not like a thing even though it's popular. It having cultural impact has nothing to do with how a person feels about a given work.

I personally think Cross Game is Adachi's best work (from what I've read) and I did try reading H2, but unfortunately it was just a while after I finished Cross Game and I just figured there was no point to it - Adachi's stories are usually pretty similar, and I wasn't in the mood for reading Cross-Game-but-less-good at the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1