• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Unleashed TechTV VHS Recordings (Help)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegalWhistle64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote

I love collecting old home recorded VHS tapes from tech TV. That is by far my most favorite channel that ever existed. Coming across these tapes is very difficult.

I am looking for anyone that could possibly help me with my collection. I am looking for anyone that may have home recordings of tech TV from the anime unleashed programming block. I'm specifically looking for "Lain" but if you happen to have anything else recorded off of that network I will most definitely be interested in it.

I have already built up a collection of home recordings from tech TV. I'm happy to either trade for your tapes or pay for them. My goal is to digitally transfer these tapes to my hard drive and preserve them forever. Even if you don't have the VHS tapes that I'm looking for, simply providing me contact information to anyone that may have them would still be very helpful to me.

If you're wondering why I would be interested in having a home recording of these anime shows versus the VHS, DVD or Blu-ray releases it's because watching these recordings is like taking a time machine back to that period. Seeing the tech TV logo in the corner of my screen with commercials for extremely out of date technology solutions with videogame commercials in between is a feeling that you will never get with home media releases.

Amateur home recordings are a perfect way to travel back in time and experience life from the early 2000’s.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post and I welcome anyone to message me and I would love to start a conversation and hopefully build up my collection and yours if you're into the same thing as me.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh goodness, good luck with your search! I used to record this channel all the time but didn't usually keep them. I'd watch and record new episodes over them.

I think the only ones I may have had all of were Banner/Crest of the Stars, but then I bought the dvds. I sadly have no VHS tapes any longer or player to play them on, but I think it's a fun collection! I loved seeing the anime unleashed logo again!
RegalWhistle64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks for reading and replying. I know many people did the same thing as you, throwing out their VHS tapes after getting the DVDs. Fining any remaining tapes in 2021 will be difficult. But I will not give up.

I forgot to list the shows I currently have recorded off Anime Unleashed. Even if you have these shows listed below, id still be interested in your VHS tapes. "Lain" is my top priority, though.

Betterman
Crest_Of_The_Stars
Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure (complete)
GadGuard
Gatekeepers
Last Exile
Silent Mobius (eps 9-21)

I knew this forum has been around for a while and would have some old TechTV Anime Unleashed fans.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're wondering why I would be interested in having a home recording of these anime shows versus the VHS, DVD or Blu-ray releases it's because watching these recordings is like taking a time machine back to that period. Seeing the tech TV logo in the corner of my screen with commercials for extremely out of date technology solutions with videogame commercials in between is a feeling that you will never get with home media releases.

Amateur home recordings are a perfect way to travel back in time and experience life from the early 2000’s.

Agreed, especially when it can preserve history for the channel and how they ran, commercials, etc. I wish the best on your search.

I know I liked watching old Toonami eye catches and stuff, it does have an appeal.
RegalWhistle64

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to see other people appreciate these broadcast recordings is much as I do.
I have not been able to find home recorded VHS tapes as of yet. I'm still looking for them. With that being said, I was able to get the next best thing, and that being the official home media VHS release of the show. I've transferred those tapes over to my computer, and I've manually edited in the commercial breaks that I have recorded from other anime off of tech TV.

The final result comes off very well. If this is all I'm able to get then this will do me just fine. It gives off the illusion well enough for me to actually believe this is recorded off of tech TV back in 2003. Of course, I would want an actual recording of the show but for the meantime this works.

I may upload a sample of what I've pieced together so far. It's taken me quite a long time, especially in the audio department. I had to perform some magic in order to have the proper audio for the bumpers from returning and going to commercial break during the anime unleashed block.

I know these tapes are out there. I just need to be lucky enough to find someone who still has them.

On a completely unrelated note, I had episodes 2, and 8 through 22 of silent Mobius recorded off of tech TV. Those recordings had commercial breaks. I got in contact with somebody who actually had three episodes of silent Mobius recorded off tech TV. When I heard that he had episodes recorded I automatically assumed that the episodes he had were the same ones that I had recorded. Lo and behold, his episodes that he recorded were episodes 23, 24 and 26. The chances of him having only episodes that I did not have recorded were astronomically low. I am very grateful that he was able to fill three missing episodes from that series. So, if I continue to pursue these tapes I know I will find them.

This is a preview of the lower third techtv would have during their shows. I had to keyframe and mask off the main area in order to have a template.
4GTV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:51 am Reply with quote
Hey there!
I run an always on channel on twitch and I specialize in everything from ZDTV 1998 - G4TV 2021!
I program the channel to mirror classic cable TV, and love episodes with commercials in tact! I grew up with techtv and have fond memories of it re-merger.
I run anime Unleashed episodes during my night time block (12-3am) and curretly only air what's available online (YouTube and a few things i got in a techtv mega torrent years ago)
Do you have tapes not yet published online? I would love tobe able to aee them and air them! I have similar feelings as you do about having a particular "time machine" experience from seeing original broadcasts on techtv. If there's anything you can offer id love it! I have a handful of shows im sure you already are aware of. R.o.d. the tv probably has the most consecutive episodes.

Let me know!
RegalWhistle64

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:16 am Reply with quote
I'm glad there are others interested in what I am looking for. Could you provide the twitch stream that you talked about?

I am fully aware of the tech TV mega pack torrent.
I also have the FTP server backed up as well. The FTP server was hosted by someone that is essentially doing what you are now. They streamed on Justin TV.

To answer your main question, yes, I have around 10 to 20 VHS tapes that are multi-hour recordings from anime unleashed. Both from the tech TV and G4 era. No commercial breaks though. These tapes were never made publicly online. I found them in an eBay listing a couple of months ago.
lumenotaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:49 pm Reply with quote
oh man I loved techtv watched screensavers and call for help after school among others but loved the anime as not much was available to me back then hung out on the forums as well and we had a separate one that formed off that forum as well auniverse I belive it was good times good luck in your search wish I had recorded back then lain is still a huge fave
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I cannot help with the quest to assemble the catalog, as I know that my tapes are long gone (and I wouldn't have recorded Lain, anyway, since I had the DVDs) but I did record some of the other shows back in the day. I recall recording at least Silent Mobius, Betterman, and Crest of the Stars.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Around that time, I bought what I thought would be a game-changing purchase: A VCR/DVD-RW combo. I made so many DVD-R comps, went through the trouble of cutting down commercials (so wouldn't be for you anyway) and dubbing over old VHS when done.

Those damn things lasted like 5 years before all failing.
I had, at least, Last Exile recorded.
I had dubbed a rental copy of Warriors of The Wind (infamous early Nauusica English version) for posterity.
I had every Daria episode painstakingly put in order (as MTV rarely actually aired the reruns in order, you had to record whatever was on, hoping to catch the missing ones). Those had all the original music not cleared for the DVD releases and the original broadcast version of "Is it College Yet" that MTV lost the tapes for and isn't in the DVD set (has an edited for length version).
A bunch of Space Ghost C2C and Cartoon Planet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1