• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
inuyasha is back and better ^_^

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:08 pm Reply with quote
lol i just had to say this im so glad inuyasha is back on adult swim...I've seen the episodes in japanese but they are so funny in english...i think the english dub is cool *dodges bullets* ^^;
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:14 pm Reply with quote
For the love of all that is good and decent, NEVER USE PINK TEXT AGAIN!

And for the record, I'm wishy-washy on Inuyasha's return. For me it is a quintessentially average show. It does look very nice, but otherwise it strikes me as unremarkable. I'll watch it, I'll enjoy it, but I won't be thinking about it tomorrow. Of course, I'm not much for romances, so that cripples my appreciation of the series.

The dub has its high points. The main cast has settled into their roles well-enough, but the secondary characters are still quite shaky on occasion. I have real issues with the script. It is littered with far to many jarring neologisms for my taste, and Kaede is a shining example of lazy dub scripting. Her constant use of "ye" is not only annoying, but also incorrect. "Ye," is the nominative plural form of, "you," not merely an archaic form of it. The old system for the second person singular/plural pronoun used to be as follows:

Nominative thou (sing) ye (plural)
Accusative thee (sing) you (plural)
Genitive thy* (sing) your (plural)
*thine before a vowel or h

The ADR writer would have added, in my opinion, a satisfying air to Kaede's supposedly archaic form of speech with a little research and careful writing.

Damn, language geeks get pissed off at the oddest things.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:00 am Reply with quote
It's Ocean, what do expect from the people who brought us the Tofu DBZ?
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:06 am Reply with quote
lol is this color better? and i dont like romances either but inuyasha is pretty coolies Anime smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:20 am Reply with quote
it's sad how far behind they are Sad the japanese one is getting hella good. from the looks of things, i think it's coming down to the end.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:31 am Reply with quote
Personally, I can't stand the dub (so far the only one in close to 50 series I've watched). Part of it might be because I've watched the whole thing in fansub, but I'm just not sure. The thing that gets me the most is the name pronunciations. You'd think that they never listened to the Japanese track. The biggest ones being Kaede and Kilala(Kirara). Also, I like Scott McNeil and his previous works, he was a good Duo Maxwell and Piccolo, but as far as Kouga goes the voice he does seems to old to me and just doesn't sound right. I like the series, as I have every other Takahashi series I've seen, but am personally glad that the DVD release has the sub on it as that's the only version I'll watch.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:20 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Del, for posting that. I was waiting for someone else to notice that "ye" was being used incorrectly. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nightshrill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:40 am Reply with quote
I also do not like the dubbing for the IY english. I would also agree Kouga's voice is to deep and old for the character and that Inuyasha's seems a bit to young. Kagome sounds a bit odd but it mostly works. Shippou also sounds a little bit to old, sango and miroku....just odd. Some of that is because like you I have been watching the fansubs and am use to the japanese (the english pronounciations also anger me in some spots). So when it comes between picking Japanese w/eng sub or Eng dub I will take the Japanese anyday.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought you might have noticed it too, Cookie.

And I'm starting to wonder if it is even sensible to compare Japanese and English voices. If we managed to find two people, one Japanese, one American that sounded exactly the ame when they both spoke the same language, would there still be a correlation is they spoke in different langauges?
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:01 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs* meh its all good to me Very Happy
herbkir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
In the sub v.dub thing, people seem to forget that you are dealing with the fact that 2 different actors, responding to different direction, will produce differing interpretations of the same character. Which one is "better" is purely a matter of personal preference. Myself, I like the Inu dub. Yes there are a few neologisms and other flaws in the scripts, but on the whole, the Inu dub stands up well on its own as a way to experience the essence of Inuyasha. With Inu, we're not talking about a dub that changes the storyline or renames all the characters. Rather, its a matter of a different tone and emphasis. (^_*)
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:41 am Reply with quote
ha well put plus when they have a play on words or a joke or pun or sumthing its funnier if its in english Very Happy
So DraZtic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:28 am Reply with quote
inuyasha is probably my favorite anime of all time...(plus naruto, dragonball nd ranma 1/2)

i wish they showed it over the summer...does anyone here kno if u could subscirbe to the manga?

im subscribed to shonen jump but i don know if i could do it with inuyasha...someone help me out
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:49 am Reply with quote
They stopped doing individuals and now only do anthologies and graphic novels. I personally feel only the graphic novels are worth the time.
So DraZtic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:15 am Reply with quote
but can you subscribe to the graphic novels?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2