• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are so many posts here [Encyclopedia Forum] ignored?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
More than half the requests in the encyclopedia forum are left unanswered. Changes are not made, and no reason for rejection is given. Even a short explanation for why a request was rejected would be helpful.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
Just moved this here on ANN Feedback.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:12 am Reply with quote
There are multiple reasons. First is there's not very many active Encyclopedia Editors at the moment as many from what I've noticed went inactive long ago. The ones that are active may be semi-active as they're busy in their lives. For example, I was working two jobs 6 days a week until this past week when I finally quit one, and only now finally have back-to-back days off for the first time since mid-February.

Another reason is certain editors know more about certain things than others. I largely don't deal with issues of splitting and merging people with Japanese names as I'm not very knowledgeable there. Being fluent in Japanese is not a requirement for being an Encyclopedia Editor as strange as that may sound. I primarily focus on the English parts of the encyclopedia as well as the releases. My Japanese unfortunately still largely amounts to random words, knowing just about all the hiragana, some katakana, and basically no kanji. You need someone that really knows kanji for dealing with Japanese cast and staff so they don't make a mistake as some things have no do-overs, like splitting people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

In the couple of days since I first posted, I noticed that more posts have gotten responses, which I appreciate.

Are there any changes we can make to requests commonly seen in the encyclopedia forum to help editors speed up the process to approve/reject these requests?

If more editors are needed, I'd be willing to volunteer. I'm proficient in Japanese.

BigOnAnime wrote:
some things have no do-overs, like splitting people.

Regarding splitting entries, what do you mean by no do-over? Isn't it possible to simply merge the split entries? (On the other hand, undoing an incorrect merge seems like it could be troublesome.) Since split requests account for so many posts, I wonder if allowing normal users to create split entries would help alleviate the encyclopedia editors' workload?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:51 pm Reply with quote
When you attempt to split a person, this shows up in bold at the very bottom when you select all the tasks to be transferred. You MUST get everything done correctly when you do it, there is no doing it again. You have to be very careful.
Quote:
This will create a NEW person, so it is important to split off ALL credits which should belong to that new person in a single shot.
Additionally, you can't change the precision to differentiate the two people after splitting, only certain editors can do that, I don't have the ability to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This will create a NEW person, so it is important to split off ALL credits which should belong to that new person in a single shot.

Does this mean that editors can't transfer credits between entries, except when splitting an entry?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
Correct, that is the only way credits get transferred to my knowledge.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:05 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
You MUST get everything done correctly when you do it, there is no doing it again. You have to be very careful.

This actually isn't true anymore. If you forget a credit, or get a credit wrong, you can merge the two individuals back together into the same entry again and start over.
Hpilbog31

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
Is there any plan to add more Encyclopedia Editor?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1