• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Mobile User: Experience, Suggestions.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
Just curious and my search didn’t pop up the answer (maybe I didn’t do it right).

But was there or will there be a phone app for ANN?
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:24 am Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for asking, if you're referring to the manga app, that is still a separate service provided by Kadokawa's Tatesc online book reader. Other than that, the best way to access every feature ANN has to offer on your mobile device is to log into the site with your preferred browser.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
But was there or will there be a phone app for ANN?

Hi InfiniteJest,

Making an ANN app has been a low item on our "wish list" (not our to-do list) for over a decade. Thanks to Kadokawa's investment, there are funds set aside specifically for this and we will be creating an ANN app; probably in 2024.

-t
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:43 am Reply with quote
GTK! I nostalgically appreciate the Forums but also see how so many people seem to jump over to any place with an App so was curious. Love what ANN offers so will just wait as it continues to develop.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:53 am Reply with quote
That is good news. I've been getting by with accessing ANN on my phone's browser when I'm out and about but I suspect an app would be more user friendly. Plus, that's what all the cool kids are offering these days...
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:44 am Reply with quote
So, what do you all think would be some good features that could be implemented in the APP?

I'm thinking something like a widget you could use to submit ratings and comments about a show or individual episodes you're watching.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd love to be able to access my My Anime lists which I don't think I can via my phone's browser.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:39 am Reply with quote
I just read something here about the possibility of an ANN phone app being done because of the recent investment in this site by Kadokawa. If something like that's possible,what about something I proposed here a long time ago,a way to make stuff like things from the forums or articles from the website easier to print out? I don't know if it'll happen but is what I proposed all those years possible? I'd be interested in knowing just because if you guys are saying that it's possible for an ANN app for smartphones,then quite possibly,something like what I proposed is also possible,or am I just dreaming here?
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I just read something here about the possibility of an ANN phone app being done because of the recent investment in this site by Kadokawa. If something like that's possible,what about something I proposed here a long time ago,a way to make stuff like things from the forums or articles from the website easier to print out? I don't know if it'll happen but is what I proposed all those years possible? I'd be interested in knowing just because if you guys are saying that it's possible for an ANN app for smartphones,then quite possibly,something like what I proposed is also possible,or am I just dreaming here?

Just merged your post to the ANN phone app thread, Snowmaster1!

If you have questions/inquiries about it, please post it on this thread. Smile
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:04 am Reply with quote
Well,SenpaiDuckie. I'm really surprised you did this. Surprised It's not that I think it's bad or anything like that. Don't get me wrong. I'm a little shocked you did this. I thought that it would be good to let this post be it's own thing. I kinda get why you did this. I was just a little stunned you did this. That's all. I'm not mad at you or anything like that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:51 am Reply with quote
@ Snomaster1 - yeah, I think SenpaiDuckie got a little confused because you cited the proposed ANN phone app... but what you are asking for actually has nothing to do with a future phone app, so it really shouldn't be merged with this thread.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
Seems to me like its appropriate to merge the threads. Perhaps it's related to how ANN likes to reduce fragmentation and maintain good thread organization. Maybe another step could be to change the thread title to encompass the idea behind both Snowmaster's and InfiniteJest's comments. Like, "ANN Phone App Feedback and Discussion"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Forgive my somewhat OCD-ishness, but your suggestion doesn't resolve the issue, for me, that Snomaster's suggestion has nothing to do with the phone app at all. If you have a thread titled, ANN Phone App Feedback and Discussion, the logical expectation would be that the thread is devoted to issues related to the proposed ANN Phone App. Asking if it might be possible to make ANN content easier to print off your computer has nothing to do with that topic.

I guess you can argue that it makes sense to have a single thread for suggesting changes to ANN in general, but then it would have to be titled something like: "Ways to Improve the ANN Experience" or something.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, since it's gotten this far, I just renamed the thread.

Should I also sticky this as the go-to feedback thread for all things related to the User Interface experience?
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:16 am Reply with quote
We all appreciate your OCD-ishness, Blood- but I think another important thing is the intent of the thread. Even though it was merged it really started with the idea of what to do about the ANN App. My reasoning for focusing on this is, despite the tendency of threads to evolve, if a later post doesn't really have to do with the intent, it should remain a separate thread or it's just OT posting.

But they were merged and it just seemed to make better sense to prioritize the issue about the ANN App, but accommodate both issues. Yes Snowmaster's issue is about the printing proposal but there was already another thread about that and like I said it's either OT (needs a separate thread) or still relevant to an ANN App. It just seems silly to have a thread titled "Improvements for ANN" because now it's too general and doesn't differ much from the purpose of this whole ANN Feedback Forum section.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2