• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Mobile User: Experience, Suggestions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:35 am Reply with quote
Let's also make this a thread about what names to name the thread, because I can't tell where this is going, anymore.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:18 am Reply with quote
I merged the two threads due to the main keyword: ANN App.

As ChirashiD explained,
Quote:
...they were merged and it just seemed to make better sense to prioritize the issue about the ANN App, but accommodate both issues.

Other than that, I merged it to keep it organized for forumites and us moderators. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:13 pm Reply with quote
@Snomaster1

Printing from ANN is perfectly easy. I'm not sure why you would need to have the site do anything.

Open up ANN. Open up Word or your word processor of choice. Select the text you wish to print. Copy. Go to the word processor and paste. Adjust the formatting to taste and print from the word processor. This works on most web pages.

Keep in mind that the text of ANN articles is Copyright. That is don't distribute what you have printed.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:05 am Reply with quote
Well,Alan45. While that would be easy if you had a word processor feature already on your computer,what if you don't? That's why I'm hoping for the print feature thing. It'll be for people like me that don't really have something like a word processor feature to begin with. For those who already have a word processor feature,nothing need change. What do you think of that,sir?
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
So if everyone is in agreement, I suggest we modify the title to something concise but not trying to list every specific point. How about: "ANN Mobile User Experience Suggestions" and adding an endearing objective to the first post?
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,Alan45. While that would be easy if you had a word processor feature already on your computer,what if you don't? That's why I'm hoping for the print feature thing. It'll be for people like me that don't really have something like a word processor feature to begin with. For those who already have a word processor feature,nothing need change. What do you think of that,sir?

Do you only access this site on a mobile or gaming device? So basically it sounds like you need ANN itself to provide downloadable PDF versions with a UI that allows you to select type of content and a date range. Sadly, I don't know if the reason this doesn't exist is because of a legal or technical limitation, it may just come down to convincing a site administrator to add this feature and provide some strong justification to do so.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:52 pm Reply with quote
@Snomaster1

Sorry, I've lost count of how many computers I've had since my first in 1993 with Windows 3.1. Every one of them came with a word processing feature as part of a suite or a standalone word processor. Does your device have a text editor? The procedure I listed should work with one of those. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a computer without a word processor of some sort.

Just what are you using to access ANN? If you want them to make a feature for you, that is probably important information.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:24 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it'll do any good ChirashiD,Alan45,but I have a Lenovo B50-45 laptop that uses Windows 7. One that happens to have an OpenOffice 4.1.2 program on it. I just happen to use Google Chrome as well. I don't know why that's needed,but I hope it helps.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:21 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't know if it'll do any good ChirashiD,Alan45,but I have a Lenovo B50-45 laptop that uses Windows 7. One that happens to have an OpenOffice 4.1.2 program on it. I just happen to use Google Chrome as well. I don't know why that's needed,but I hope it helps.

Although OpenOffice is mostly lousy, it should give you the capability to print using the method Alan suggested. WPS is a better program that you can download and install for free. I actually use Excel for writing more often than Word because I like how the format is already set up for tables, charts, functions and web importing the moment a new file is opened.

Although I haven't tried it but theoretically you could probably import a whole thread into 1 Excel box, then have it populate other boxes with every accessible thread. Then do the same with all the articles and columns. Then that could be printed after some adjustment so they're in some type of sequence.

Here's the idea behind it: every thread has an identical URL that ends with a unique numerical id. Paste one of these urls in excel and set it to display cels as webpages (or tell it to import the webpage of a disired url). When you copy right (not left or down) to another cell it should populate with the next URL in sequence (and skip pages that are blank due to differences in the length of threads). Again I'm not sure if this actually works.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Any office suite will have a word processor built in. It is usually the first application listed. Apache Open Office which apparently replaced Open Office has one called "writer". I assume the earlier Open Office has something similar. If you learn how to use that it should work as I indicated above.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:12 am Reply with quote
I actually got hired on as Junior Mobile Developer last August, but with no prior experience in the industry, so I'm learning as I go. The only tips I can give about the actual development part is that if you wanna' maximize efficiency, build both apps (one for Android, one for iOS) in their respective Native code (Kotlin for Android, SwiftUI for iOS).

Both versions of my company's old app used React Native to code, and it's a bit of a mess to maintain. I've been learning SwiftUI to build a new version of the app for iOS from scratch. And just from the developer side, it's much more intuitive and cleaner to read in general.

Whenever you start planning out the ANN Mobile Apps, tell those devs to build Native (no React; React Native stinks).

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
I should also say building with React will save you the trouble of having to make two separate builds, as RN has the ability to apply to both operating systems with one bundle of code. But after seeing both, RN and Native, I stand by my opinion that building in Native will be easier to maintain.

It just depends on how much you're willing to invest in the budget / man-hours and how proficient your dev(s) are at coding. At my work, I happen to be on a team where I'm the iOS guy and Guy #2 is specializing in Android. Before we were a split team, (previous) Guy #3 was by himself and built for both using React. But he had to clean up a bunch of code from (previous) Guy #4, and Guy 4 had to clean up the code of (previous) Guy #5 before him. But Guys 4 and 5 apparently had such sloppy code, Guy 3 had to overhaul most of it just so he could work with it.

And ever since we made the new split team to build Native for each respective OS from scratch, we've basically been trying to use best practices, so the next people won't (hopefully) have as much trouble trying to take over / maintain the code base.

I had the bright idea of messing around and trying to make a mobile app for ANN myself, some day, but I'm still way under-qualified to have such lofty goals. I'm also kinda' busy trying to be Moderator and maintaining the Series Discussion sub-forum. I get the what's and why's of concepts and implementations for mobile development. But after 10 months, I feel I still lack a lot of the knowledge and experience of the how's (coding terminology really is a whole other language, and there are multiple variations of it, depending on the application). Maybe in another year or two, I'll have a better grasp of the field. But all I can do, for now, is offer some general advice and feedback.
mad_yeti
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiming in with an *emphatic* request to get the ads to work better with the mobile reading experience. I would happily pay a subscription to remove them at this point, either with or without a dedicated app.

Every time a new video ad loads at the top, the text I'm reading jumps around so much that it often ends up offscreen, and I have to scroll around looking for it. I'm a fast reader, but this happens to me multiple times while getting through a single paragraph. It's gotta be near impossible for slower readers.

(I don't know if it's possible to keep the ads, but with a preset space for them that doesn't cause the text to auto-adjust constantly? Even that would be a HUGE improvement.)

I love the content here, just want to be able to read it! Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2