• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Was the Cardcaptors dub better than what people thought?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:53 am Reply with quote
We now realized that Nelvana did dubbed all 70 episodes of Cardcaptors and it was shown in Canada, the UK, and Australia, while in the US, was cut down to 39 episodes by Kids WB. So, was the Cardcaptors dub really better than what people say it was?

Last edited by mgree0032 on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't answer for the dub as I didn't hear much of it. However, the main problem that people had with Cardcaptors was that they pretty much butchered the show to produce it.

Reportedly, Nelvana heavily edited the show for its UK, Canada and Australia release. The edits were to remove "objectionable content" and strictly Japanese references. WB Kids took this edited version and tried to make it a show around Syaorun Li as the hero (to appeal to boys). They omitted any episodes that revolved around Sakura alone which is why it is so much shorter. The episodes that were retained were edited to have the same effect.

When NISA released the show, there would have been no point in trying to get the Nelvana dub since it would not have matched the original animation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
Just the notion of hacking up the series to make it seem like Li is the hero makes my skin crawl and that's without even considering the actual quality of the dub itself. Not something I will ever watch, that's for sure.
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Between this, Escaflowne, and Initial D, not to mention countless others, it's another reason to completely condemn any and all North American re-interpretations of anime series (especially those pretending to be dubs), along with their soundtrack replacements. For better or worse. Simply leave things as they are.

Last edited by TheFanCon on Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:15 am Reply with quote
Was the fact that Sakura was effectively removed from center stage also because it made it easier to erase the homosexual undertones in the show? For example the relationship between Yukito and Sakura's brother, and even between Tomoyo and Sakura herself. I suppose that's what Alan means by "objectionable content." Those omissions in creative expression alone are reason enough to avoid the Cardcaptors release altogether. Though I do understand the reasoning from a perspective of marketing to the broad, child-friendly American audience.
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:19 am Reply with quote
And because of that, like others in different places have noted in the past, most of these series should just have been released direct to video. No changes would then have to be made.
Then again, even if we were to grant the removal of said objectionable content (which certain places like Europe & Latin America seemingly didn't need to do), why bother changing the perfectly good soundtrack (in this case by Takayuki Negishi)?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:36 pm Reply with quote
TheFanCon wrote:
these series should just have been released direct to video. No changes would then have to be made.

But they did. The same month that Geneon (Pioneer) released the first Cardcaptors DVD they also released the first Card Captor Sakura DVD subtitled. The entire series was eventually released subtitled complete and uncut. Which ever version you wanted was available.

I don't condone what Nelvana did, I think it was unnecessary. However I think I understand it. They were not trying to sell TV stations an anime. They were trying to sell a kids show. They (wrongly I think) thought kids couldn't cope with Japanese cultural elements, so they edited it to fit what they thought would be kid friendly. The execs at WB Kids couldn't cope with the idea of an action show that would appeal to girls. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time.
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
But they did. The same month that Geneon (Pioneer) released the first Cardcaptors DVD they also released the first Card Captor Sakura DVD subtitled. The entire series was eventually released subtitled complete and uncut. Which ever version you wanted was available.

At least Geneon did a proper job there.

Alan45 wrote:
I don't condone what Nelvana did, I think it was unnecessary. However I think I understand it. They were not trying to sell TV stations an anime. They were trying to sell a kids show. They (wrongly I think) thought kids couldn't cope with Japanese cultural elements, so they edited it to fit what they thought would be kid friendly. The execs at WB Kids couldn't cope with the idea of an action show that would appeal to girls. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

And that's why it was a dark age in NA anime licensing. Sad thing is there's some out there who still don't understand that to this day.

It's also like a self-fulfilling prophecy that they said that foreign media wouldn't work for their audience, after they've already done everything in their power to make sure that this would be the case. Honestly, I get the suspicion that they didn't want their own status quo to be challenged.

(Especially as the few toy commercial anime series for kids TV that they tend to have a hand in creating are also edited in similar ways as well as having replacement soundtracks.)
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

When DIC dubbed Sailor Moon, they didn’t cut episodes to make it seems that Tuxedo Mask is the hero of the show.
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
True, though some other areas of both were similar.

This was also the same thing that bogged down Saban's Escaflowne hack job besides replacing the score (by Yoko Kanno mind you).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:22 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
So, was the Cardcaptors dub really better than what people say it was?

No, it was absolute unfaithful, poorly scripted, poorly edited, poorly acted, sexist, xenophobic garbage.

What even is this thread.

The very existence of this....this....thing makes my blood boil.
There has never been an anime that was more violated for an American audience than this one.

....although Robotech fans might have something to say about that. Laughing
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
There has never been an anime that was more violated for an American audience than this one.

....although Robotech fans might have something to say about that. Laughing

And maybe also Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya (if what they were doing to it ever got off the ground), and arguably DB (because an amateur studio got the license via nepotism and it's led to lots of division).

Oh, Escaflowne and Initial D too even though they didn't last long.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The ocean dub of Escaflowne wasn’t bad at all, it was fox kids that tried to make it appeal to boys.
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Then what was even the point of Funimation doing the kickstarter to make their own dub of the show?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
a better, updated dub and apparently adding back a few scenes that were previously edited out
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3