• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Constant timing out, needed multiple refreshes to load

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Constant timing out. It's been happening to me for weeks.
Needing to refresh a ridiculous amount of time to get each page to load. Happening in forums and encyclopedia.
Here's the error message:

Anime News Network is currently unavailable
The connection broke midway. This may be a temporary glitch.

Please try again later.

details▼
Anime News Network uses the Cloudflare proxy/cdn network to speed up and protect our site from attacks and spambots. So when you access ANN, the connection goes through Cloudflare. This page is displayed by Cloudflare and could mean that:
a) The ANN server you are trying to connect to is offline or overloaded (most likely) you ←—→ Cloudflare ←—→ ANN broken
b) There is a network problem between Cloudflare and ANN you ←—→ Cloudflare ←–broken–→ ANN
c) There is a problem with the Cloudflare node you are going through you ←—→ Cloudflare broken ←—→ ANN

Cloudflare message:

Bad gateway

The web server reported a bad gateway error.

Ray ID: 7e8cba69a9b8c6ad
Error reference number: 502
Cloudflare Location: Seattle
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Same here. I'm using a Mac with a Chrome browser. Basically, I have to brute force things. In other words, it takes about three or four tries of getting the error message noted above before whatever link I'm trying to use finally works. This doesn't happen all the time, just a lot of the time and more often in recent weeks compared with before. When I try the Firefox browser, I don't get the error message but what will happen a lot is that whatever page I'm trying to get, starts to load but then stops. Very frustrating. I visit a lot of different sites and this one is by far, far, far, far the most problematic to get to work properly.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:30 am Reply with quote
The same has been happening to me, but more often so with my Home PC (Windows 10 and Firefox).

It doesn't happen nearly as much with my Home and Work Mac Minis (also with Firefox) for whatever reason.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
Hey guys!

Rest assured, I already brought this up to Dan42. Let's just wait for this technical problem to be solved. Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Same here. I'm using a Mac with a Chrome browser. Basically, I have to brute force things. In other words, it takes about three or four tries of getting the error message noted above before whatever link I'm trying to use finally works. This doesn't happen all the time, just a lot of the time and more often in recent weeks compared with before. When I try the Firefox browser, I don't get the error message but what will happen a lot is that whatever page I'm trying to get, starts to load but then stops. Very frustrating. I visit a lot of different sites and this one is by far, far, far, far the most problematic to get to work properly.

Tony K. wrote:
The same has been happening to me, but more often so with my Home PC (Windows 10 and Firefox).

Blood-, Tony K., can you post the error details similarly to MrSatan ? I want to see if there's anything in common.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Network is currently unavailable
The connection broke midway. This may be a temporary glitch.

Please try again later.

details▼
Anime News Network uses the Cloudflare proxy/cdn network to speed up and protect our site from attacks and spambots. So when you access ANN, the connection goes through Cloudflare. This page is displayed by Cloudflare and could mean that:
a) The ANN server you are trying to connect to is offline or overloaded (most likely) you ←—→ Cloudflare ←—→ ANN broken
b) There is a network problem between Cloudflare and ANN you ←—→ Cloudflare ←–broken–→ ANN
c) There is a problem with the Cloudflare node you are going through you ←—→ Cloudflare broken ←—→ ANN

Cloudflare message:

Bad gateway

Ray ID: 7e95c18a9c80479c
Cloudflare Location: Dallas
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:48 pm Reply with quote
My error message is identical to Tony K. and mrsatan except for:

Ray ID: 7e962665bfeda21c
Your IP address: [redacted]
Cloudflare Location: Toronto
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
And you're all getting these regularly? Not just for 3 or 4 minutes?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I get these very frequently on my Windows PC.

If I try to view unmarked posts in Series Discussion, at least half the time I click on a thread, I get the error screen. 75% of the time, I just refresh once, and it'll go back to normal. But the other 25%, it just keeps error-ing out, but oddly enough still raises the view count, even though I'm just seeing the error screen.

I've pretty much resolved to just using my Mac Minis any time I browse the site, now. I'd guess the ratio of error frequency between Windows and Mac is, at least, 5:1.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:01 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
And you're all getting these regularly? Not just for 3 or 4 minutes?

Yes. I just had to refresh about 25 times to get this forum thread to load. I'm running Windows 10 on Firefox, if that matters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've been getting the error message less in the last day or two. However, when I was getting it a lot, yeah it was pretty continuous, not just a 3 or 4 minute thing.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been getting a lot of these errors in the past 2 days. The error message thingy is pretty much the same as everyone else here. Not a fan.

Cloudflare message:

Bad gateway

Ray ID: 7ec60c344836d8fe
Your IP address: -
Cloudflare Location: Helsinki
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:52 am Reply with quote
Just for the benefit of anybody else who may be going through this: browsers can make a difference. I get this issue a lot when I use Chrome on my Mac but have far less problem with Firefox.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'm on a Windows 10 desktop with Firefox and I'm getting these timeout error thingies constantly. It's odd. I seem to be able to click articles just fine when I'm on the front page but the moment I enter the forums or the encyclopedia the errors start to happen constantly. It's so bad that most folk would probably say the website is unusable with how it is for me.

Oddly I tried messing around with the site on my phone (Android with Chrome) and I'm not getting the errors. I don't understand this at all. I have uBlock on my desktop Firefox but it's disabled.

And as I was writing this I just tried using the site while logged out on my desktop and lo and behold no more errors. The moment I log back in it's error galore. Regardless of whether I'm using the fast server or not, I'm getting errors while logged in. Weird.

So not being logged in fixes the issues for me. Does ANN or Cloudflare have my account flagged or something? I swear I'm not evil.

Last edited by Cam0 on Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:32 am Reply with quote
Have you tried using a different browser with Windows 10 just for funsies?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2