• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some observations regarding forum atmosphere

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:05 pm Reply with quote
*If this isn't allowed or wanted, mods can delete the thread et all and we can take it to PM if its a better place for a conversation.*

This is more of just a general observation I've gotten recently, mostly in regards to the Talkback section specifically, but has anyone else noticed a sudden shift in terms of atmosphere (its the closest way I can describe it; forgive me) of that specific section? I don't know if its because there's been a severe cut down in forum mods from when I was really active in the forums or some just aren't as active as they once were, but it just seems more aggressive.

Despite the rules, even the abridged rules you get when making a post/thread, having 1 being "Above all else: Be Polite" posted and the full set having "If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all," certain posters are getting nasty with each other. I've even seen former staff members get in on it. Opinions are absolutely a thing but when it seems like people are dogpiling on specific posters or offrailing a thread (absolutely intentional in some cases,), I have to wonder if there was something specific I missed; like an update, changing of the guard or something like that because I always thought ANN was fairly strict on Rule 1 above all else.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:06 am Reply with quote
I must admit I've been less active in 2023. More mods would be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
First of all, thank you for the feedback.

The Talkback section has always been the one that has the most forum activity. The moderators do not have a fixed time and day to moderate the forums. Furthermore, they also have to do things in real life, moderating during their free time. As I also noticed, many new users joined the forum this year and late last year. I acknowledge the shift which you're talking about. We are only a few, but as Errinundra has replied, more moderators would be great.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much avoid Talkback, if I can help it. I feel it got toxic quite a whiles back and have found a good majority of people's ranting unpleasant to read, since then. But if you or anyone else Report the posts in question, I'll try to clean up as much of the crap as I can (within my own reasoning). I check Reports multiple times a day, so don't be afraid to click those buttons.

At this point, I think I'm unofficially back to being the main active U.S-based Moderator left. But I use a computer at work, too, which gives me gives me all-day access to the site. I was so used to soloing Mod duties for a while in the late 2000s. But the forums as a whole are way less active than they used to be, so this current soloing actually feels a lot easier than the former.

My approach to problem posts is pretty simple: edit if I can, first, but delete as a last resort. I've seen plenty of users spout vitriol nonsense. However, the beauty of the English language is that you can still say things with substitute words and turn a crap-post to a not-crap-post. Of course, there are some things you just can't fix (like trolls and stupid). But I think Moderated status for those users is a pretty good deterrent.

Anyway, if you wanna' actively help to keep Talkback a little less chaotic, just stay vigilant and click those Report buttons, and we'll do what we can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1