• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2023 Reader Survey Feedback

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
If you want to comment on any part of this year's survey, please feel free to do so here.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:14 pm Reply with quote
A medley of comments, in order:

RIP Rightstuf.

Anyone still (successfully) using HLJ? I keep placing orders but they haven't shipped anything to me in years and years -- every status just immediately goes to backprdered since 2020.

Re: how we read manga, I think there's a difference between accessing manga via an app versus buying and downloading eBook versions, which are then accessed via apps, which is how I go about it. And the latter ain't an option.

Do people really buy cars often enough to warrant all of the advertising and sought-out marketing data? Really?

And can we please acknowledge how weird it is for anyone to have favorite video game
publishers? Developers, sure, they make our favorite games -- but all publishers do is manage some of the financial aspects (like advertising and distro). It's not a job that earns one a fandom.

And, lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that it's really weird when a survey question that asks you to "select all that apply" from a list of options excluding certain things, but then also includes those excluded items among the available options. Are they excluded or aren't they?

Also, just for the record, my favorite feature here is the This Week In stuff. Love the format, love the humor, love the extra bits of trivia/history/context.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, just my very subjective opinion but . . . For the question, “Which one topic would you like to see more coverage of in our news?” I don’t love that light novels and visual novels are lumped together since I’m very interested in the former but have zero interest in the latter.

Seems to me it might be better for them to each have their own entry? It would also give you a better sense of what people want.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Hobby Search which I use the most wasn't on the list of retailers, while AmiAmi which is also a Japanese online store was. Both have English storefronts so that's not an issue.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I feel like some of these questions could have used an explicit "none of the above" option. There are some things that I just don't participate in and there was no way to really make that clear.
MarvinKaye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Re: how we read manga, I think there's a difference between accessing manga via an app versus buying and downloading eBook versions, which are then accessed via apps, which is how I go about it. And the latter ain't an option.

And the survey was interested in the anime DVD I buy once every three years, and the physical manga I buy never, but not at all interested in the hundreds of dollars I spend yearly on e-books of light novels and manga. Interestingly, the electronic games questions did not restrict themselves to physical media.

Meanwhile, the feature I come to ANN to read (the weekly North American light novel and manga releases every Tuesday) did not make the survey at all.
<('_')^

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
For game developers, did you miss Formsoft? They have consistently been putting out masterpieces in the Soulsborne genre for over a decade. Winning GOTY twice.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Was I just I blind, or are you missing Disney+ off the streaming service list? They don't do a great job of it, but their offering isn't zero in most parts of the world....
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:56 pm Reply with quote
MarvinKaye wrote:
And the survey was interested in the anime DVD I buy once every three years, and the physical manga I buy never, but not at all interested in the hundreds of dollars I spend yearly on e-books of light novels and manga. Interestingly, the electronic games questions did not restrict themselves to physical media..

Yup. And i almost certainly spend way more on digital manga/LNs than any other item included in the survey, except maybe games, i suppose, depending on the year. But these days i pretty much only buy games at steep discounts and/or in bundles, so maybe not.

Well, usually. This year I did buy a couple of Macross figures (Chogokin and Hi-Metals!) which are crazy expensive, so that number might eclipse what I've spent on ebooks for a change.

<('_')^ wrote:
For game developers, did you miss Formsoft? They have consistently been putting out masterpieces in the Soulsborne genre for over a decade. Winning GOTY twice.

The question was about publishers not developers. IIRC all of Fromsofr's games are published by Bandai-Namco.

It's a pretty silly question. I assume its down to market research.
RiderMurdock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which of the following Streaming Services do you use to watch anime?

HDIVE

The name of that streaming service should be HIDIVE

Quote:
What is your preferred way to read manga ?

Also I don't see any way to say "I buy ePub Tankouben from Kindle / iBooks" other than "Though an app on my tablet or phone"
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:26 am Reply with quote
I want to comment on the car questions. I put out my answers based on the cars I have at home. BMW, Mercedes Benz (2), and Lexus (2). I put Toyota instead of BMW, because I'm Nigerian, and if you took one visit to Nigeria (or rather just Lagos) you would be surrounded by so many Toyotas. Seriously, Toyota is the choice of car for majority of the nation. The average housing estate in Lagos will have like at least 10 Toyotas parked on stretch of road.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
<('_')^ wrote:

It said publisher, not developers who sometimes self-publish, plus FromSoftware, despite being owned by Kadokawa, have their games published by Bandai Namco Entertainment.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I feel like some of these questions could have used an explicit "none of the above" option. There are some things that I just don't participate in and there was no way to really make that clear.

Same here. Some for me also I had no answer for, like making no purchase in the future type thing.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:14 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
A medley of comments, in order:

And can we please acknowledge how weird it is for anyone to have favorite video game
publishers? Developers, sure, they make our favorite games -- but all publishers do is manage some of the financial aspects (like advertising and distro). It's not a job that earns one a fandom.

This. Also Larian Studios (both Developer and Publisher) with game of the year Baldur's Gate 3 is not popular? (you did state popular on survey) You should ask for our top 3 least favorite Publishers on the list, I could probably name 5.

I used to read a fair amount of Manga on Comixology until amazon turned it into crap, but it should still be on the list.

I've been taking this survey for years and aside from what looks like some minor tweaks it doesn't seem to have been updated in just as long.

one3rd wrote:

Yep.
gordonfreeman1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It'd be great to have a way to indicate international (non-US/EU) availability of anime and manga. There are tonnes and tonnes of regions where anime was popularised but fans either need to wait ages for restricted streaming catalogues or pay through the nose for excessive shipping costs and that needs to change, anime is for everyone!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3