• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2023 Reader Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote
MarvinKaye wrote:
And the survey was interested in the anime DVD I buy once every three years, and the physical manga I buy never, but not at all interested in the hundreds of dollars I spend yearly on e-books of light novels and manga. Interestingly, the electronic games questions did not restrict themselves to physical media.

This. Nowadays I only buy perhaps one anime disc a year, and perhaps one or two games a year, but the collective value of both is dwarfed by what I spend on both light novels and manga in the same time frame...
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
I know that this site is about anime, but in the section where the survey asked about what else we would like to see covered, it would have been nice to either offer the option for donghua/manhua and manwha/webcomics.

You’ve covered a few Chinese series before, and a few Korean ones, and lately Korean webcomics are everywhere, so I think it would be nice to see more coverage of that medium.
pip25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
This. Nowadays I only buy perhaps one anime disc a year, and perhaps one or two games a year, but the collective value of both is dwarfed by what I spend on both light novels and manga in the same time frame...

Same here, the realization that I basically never buy anything in physical format anymore actually felt kinda depressing. Anime hyper
Then I kept waiting for the survey to get into the topic of digital-only purchases, but it never really did. Indeed odd.
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I like to watch my anime shows on cable TV, so thanks for adding it up! *hopes to win this time*

Last edited by Alessa_SH1 on Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
[...]
And can we please acknowledge how weird it is for anyone to have favorite video game
publishers?
[...]

not really, it's just a way to resume the list and make it smaller than putting the millions of teams that make games, so they go with the company that has them, practically. for example you'll know by now that Nintendo published and approved the game zombie hunter for massive consumption but don't really remember who made it which was freaking winky soft inc. ROFL Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dextres

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
Regarding some of the surveys questions. I feel they are invasive to my privacy in regards to ads on my television and internet.

I only have Norton security for a windows laptop I owned and no ad blocker.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

And can we please acknowledge how weird it is for anyone to have favorite video game
publishers?

Do you have favorite anime publishers like Funimation/Crunchyroll, Aniplex, Sentai Filmworks, Viz Media / Discotek ?

-t
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
@Tempest

No. I buy the release of a home video because I want a specific show. For any given show there is only one publisher (a least for a decade or so). As long as they do a workman like job of the release and don't constantly screw the pooch (Tokyopop) I'm content. I'll admit I wish Aniplex were cheaper but you can't have everything. Most of the time, I'm not really aware of who the publisher is until I look at the case.
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
One thing that needs to improve is to hold staff accountable.

Its very biased and enough of them make clowns of themselves on social media.

Additionally, does every LGBT manga have to be reviewed. Its 85% of reviewed manga on here. Can we have more variety, like god.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
Additionally, does every LGBT manga have to be reviewed. Its 85% of reviewed manga on here. Can we have more variety, like god.

It'd honestly be very useful if someone had the time to categorize our manga/light novel reviews to see what the break-up is, even though I'm sure your statement there is incredibly hyperbolic.

To the rest of your post: no.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the survey!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:18 am Reply with quote
Going through the questions and seeing Right Stuf as "used" instead of "use." It is the correct way to include it since it was around for most of the year, but man, I felt that.
poltroon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:10 am Reply with quote
The most valuable use I find for ANN is to find new anime to watch (and I would also enjoy pointers to new manga and LN but I don't tend to use it that way).

This can include:
- upcoming season
- back catalog I may have overlooked

The format of the upcoming/new season lists I find very hard to use. It would be so helpful to have a star rating, a summary, and maybe a streaming service listed on the title page. It's hard for me to keep them straight in my head and also it's very demotivating if I click through two or three and find that I'm obviously not interested. It's sometimes hard for me to remember which ones I haven't seen. I give up and use them less than I'd like.

I know ads are important for paying the bills. The ads on ANN are incredibly resource intensive, change/animate too much, pop over the content, and cause me to spend as little time here as possible. I'm a great target market and appropriate ads might even be a service to me but if my computer starts to lock up on the third page I can't stay and hang around. They seem badly coded and sketch. It's a prime reason I'm here less than I might be.
tareenta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:15 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
The most valuable use I find for ANN is to find new anime to watch (and I would also enjoy pointers to new manga and LN but I don't tend to use it that way).

This can include:
- upcoming season
- back catalog I may have overlooked

The format of the upcoming/new season lists I find very hard to use. It would be so helpful to have a star rating, a summary, and maybe a streaming service listed on the title page. It's hard for me to keep them straight in my head and also it's very demotivating if I click through two or three and find that I'm obviously not interested. It's sometimes hard for me to remember which ones I haven't seen. I give up and use them less than I'd like.

Same here.

poltroon wrote:
I know ads are important for paying the bills. The ads on ANN are incredibly resource intensive, change/animate too much, pop over the content, and cause me to spend as little time here as possible. I'm a great target market and appropriate ads might even be a service to me but if my computer starts to lock up on the third page I can't stay and hang around. They seem badly coded and sketch. It's a prime reason I'm here less than I might be.

Agreed. I don't mind ads to fund websites (especially when I'm short on funds so I can't monetarily support websites that I value), but ANN's ads load so slowly, cover up content I want to see, and constantly move content that I'm trying to read, and frequently move links that I'm trying to click on resulting in me being taken to the wrong pages. This is the primary reason that I don't use ANN more, and even give up when trying to use it sometimes when the ads cause the site to be unreadable and/or non-functional.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 am Reply with quote
I'd almost certainly buy more anime blu rays if more titles got released for the US market. Crunchyroll and Aniplex have got so many titles on lockdown that I would happily buy on disc if a physical release was ever made available. So my answer to that question seems low but is only low out of availability, not out of interest.

I also mentioned that I'd like to see more reviews and write-ups of older (i.e. early 2010's and before) titles. That's the problem with being an anime fan for over 30 years. I've built up quite the want list of titles to be licensed that never did get a US release. Maybe some new exposure here might get DiscoTek or someone to take a look at some of the stuff they've overlooked until now.

Other than that, I'll only echo the request for more "None of the Above" options. I don't game at all, so all of the video game questions were fairly useless to me. I did my best to answer something for those that was accurate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3