• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Page jumps constantly when reading articles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exodus007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
For awhile now without ad blocking on while reading any article on mobile (but mainly anime reviews) the site will randomly scroll down even if I scroll back up. It's really frustrating to read when it's consistently jumping every x seconds.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been experiencing this on desktop and also found it quite frustrating. I wasn't sure if I should create a new topic about it or just hop on this one since it's related.
I've been going through a rotation of different permutations and what i've found was the following.

It looks to be an issue with how ANN seems to be giving space for ads. I don't know the exact technicalities of it, but I notice that these ads seem to be on a timer and each time they refresh, instead of a set spaced dedicated for a container or having a placeholder filler, everything appears to refresh which moves all the content (articles, side panels, etc) and in other cases just appends more empty border space on an expired ad, and or shrinks everything because the adspace frame is adapting to the content that exists in real time resulting in squash and restretch (or over stretch) of spacing.

This makes reading anything longer than a few paragraphs REALLY annoying.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
Thank you for pointing this out. I've contacted the ad platform and asked them to look into a fix.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:54 am Reply with quote
This should be fixed now. Please try the pages where you were having this problem and let us know if it persists.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the update. They have appeared to make it less egregious (switching from large photo-style ads to banner ads) but it does not fix the root problem. The ads being fed have different sizes and the container is resizing once the new ad is fully loaded rather than simply reserving the size of the largest ad they have in the rotating pool.

I have posted an example below to highlight the issue.
https://imgur.com/zQF8Ld4

Article: animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-games/2024-03-08/nintendo-stamps-out-emulator-yuzu-devs/.208261

Whatever changes I assume they made now adjust at 2-3 lines per resize (which compound based on how many ads are on the page) as opposed to swathes of paragraphs. What this recording also doesn't capture is that the spacing expanded and shrunk a few times as the ads were transitioning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1