• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Alright, that was the first batch:

Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included seems like innocent enough fluff, it does nothing special and is very by the books.

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince had shota hungry maids... aside from those the first episode was pretty fun due to how quirky and insane Lioyd is.

Gods' Games We Play does not have the best start with subpar animation and a rather uninteresting story, if the challenges are exciting enough it could still be a decent watch.

RE:MONSTER is a not for me due to the mix of being generic yet also trying to be edgy and rapey.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I really hope you guys cover Himitsu no AiPri in this guide if it’s licensed. I still have gotten no answer as to why it wasn’t in the watch party.

Just putting this out there again since it got buried. I really want to know what’s going on here. No disrespect intended, I just want to know what’s up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
uhuurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's never seen the first adaptation, I loved this first episode of Spice and Wolf. Great atmosphere, really nice painterly backgrounds and, more than anything, the music is absolutely amazing. Those guitars genuinely took me to another world for twenty minutes, Kevin Penkin really has to be some kind of demigod among humans.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Just putting this out there again since it got buried. I really want to know what’s going on here. No disrespect intended, I just want to know what’s up.

If it is licensed, we will cover it, don't worry. I'm looking forward to it, too. No one has announced they have it yet, though.
MartinWisse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Train to the End of the World

“Cute girls hanging out in the apocalypse” is an idea that's gotten rather played out

Nicholas my man, HOW?

There's this, the Youtube series with the girl and her shibu inu and Girl's Last Tour, which is over half a decade ago. How can this be played out? There are literally more villainess reincarnation stories each season then there have been cute girls in the post-apocalypse this decade...

For me what this reminded me of was Yurei Deco from 2022, with a similar sort of bizarre world turned upside down vibe to it. None of the melancholy that Yokohama Shopping Trip or Girls' Last Tour had.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

If it is licensed, we will cover it, don't worry. I'm looking forward to it, too. No one has announced they have it yet, though.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, for a bit of correction - while 7th Prince is LN, the anime is actually the adaptation of the manga by Yosuke Kokuzawa - which have quite drastical difference in character designs. Yeah, that also include a bit overexaggeration of MC, well, fanservice appeal to a certain auditory.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Thanks.

I'm going to address this really briefly because it's somewhat off-topic since it pertains to the Trailer Watch Party.

Multiple trailers were not shown during the Trailer Watch Party for a few different reasons.

1) There were unforeseen technical issues during the stream. One that I did not predict is that the trailer playlist would be missing multiple trailers due to region locking. I made the list before flying to Japan, so this was not discovered until we were live on air and had to be fixed in the moment. There were also ongoing sound issues and driver issues I had no control over. It left me pretty flustered in the moment.

2) I was incredibly busy leading up to the trailer watch party and did not have the luxury of adding newly released trailers that premiered after I made the list when I was in the States. This led to some older trailers being shown, as well as trailers for Idolm@ster and The Grimm Variations not being shown at all.

3) Videos listed as "For Kids" cannot be added to a YouTube playlist. I have no idea why YouTube disables this function for these videos. In the past, when I'm controlling the stream from my computer, I make note of this by manually having the link in my giant cheat sheet and stream it separately from the playlist. I could not do that with the set-up in Japan. For this reason, neither the new Shinkalion nor the Himitsu no AiPri anime trailers could be shown. That said, AiPri still doesn't have a full trailer, and there isn't a trailer article on ANN (something I usually check, so making the playlist is easier). There's a 30-second announcement video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKs5M-X5Ek).
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:57 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
*Explanation*

This is very helpful, thank you!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included - Kind of surprised none of the reviewers (so far) compared it to Ah, My Goddess!, because the premise sure sounds like a do-over of that franchise. Is AMG just too old for anyone to remember at this point? Theron, if you're out there, back me up here?

Oh, that was definitely the first title I thought of, too. (The second was TONIKAWA, since the MC of this one is practically a dead ringer for the MC of that one.) I think anyone who's been around in the anime/manga scene long enough to have watched AMG/OMG would probably make the same mental comparison.

I have so many thoughts about the new Spice and Wolf that I'm probably going to have to write a whole blog post just on it to sort them out. Short version is that I grade it the same as Rebecca and Nick did. Evaluated as a standalone, it's the best debut of the Monday series and good enough to draw in appropriate audiences, but it's not an improvement on the original so far.

Train and maybe Re:Monster are the only other new Monday series besides S&W which warrant watching more, but I'm fine with that because I want to trim my view list back down from the peak levels of the last two seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:
There is one quick and 100% foolproof way to immeasurably improve Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included, and that is to replace its ditsy waif of a female lead with a biblically accurate depiction of an angel. Can you even imagine how much funnier and unique this show would be if Shintaro wound up being roommates with a giant, sanity-destroying mishmash of wheels, eyeballs, wings, and fire?

I have a friend who absolutely hates the "Biblically accurate angel" meme, because there's a whole lot of cases in the actual Bible where angels look just like people...

Even more amusing would be to replace its "ditsy waif of a female lead" with a NGE accurate depiction of an angel (Arael, perhaps?).
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Besides Himitsu no AiPri, the titles I am going to watch are A Condition Called Love, Sound! Euphonium 3, Whisper Me a Love Song and the continuing Wonderful Pretty Cure!.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
side of the ostracized nerd revenge fantasies in stuff like Arifureta.

Just a correction here, but while Arifureta seems like it's setting up a nerd revenge fantasy, it's protagonist quickly decides he couldn't be less interested, and instead chooses to just prioritize finding a way home. If anything, the writing goes out of it's way to stress multiple times how important it is that he *doesn't* give in to vengeance, because there would be no place for him back home if he did.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Even more amusing would be to replace its "ditsy waif of a female lead" with a NGE accurate depiction of an angel (Arael, perhaps?).

Tabris might be best if you want to sustain it for more than a 4koma joke. Would certainly draw a different audience. Very Happy
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The good: Holo & Lawrence! SO happy to have them back. Oh, man, I hope the dub cast returns. I loved the original. So far, I think I’m gonna love the new version. Train’s Last Tour: Boy, was that a wild start! Sorta like Kino’s Journey on acid, huh? Can’t wait to see where they go with it.

The boring: Studio Angel: Shintaro’s a sweet kid—bit of a slob, but diligent and hardworking—but the show is bland, bland, bland. Gods'Games maybe has likable leads but I think I’m too bored to find out more. Boring Banished Hero: I had hopes for this one as a turn-your-brain-off show but the animation is so bad (yikes, that dragon!) and halfway thru the 2nd ep, I just lost the will to go on.

The bad: Re:Goblin the Slayer looks to be going down a dark, bloody and rapey road so it’s a nope for me.

Reincarnated Shota Prince falls somewhere between. I think the kid is ridiculously overpowered but in a so-insane-it’s-fun way. I’m willing to avoid the shota overtones for now to see how this one pans out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31