• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Character Teased for G Gundam Anime's 30th Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:46 am Reply with quote
Hmmmmm . . . who might she be?

At any rate, I’m glad G Gundam is getting some love.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:25 am Reply with quote
The new design looks really good. This is cool and surprising...but if G-Gundam gets, say, an OVA/ONA for its 30th, Gundam Wing had BETTER get one for its--and I'm talking the scrapped-for-time Episode Zero scripts/manga chapters (with some of the better refinements added in the Glory of the Losers manga). It would help round out the original so much having the characters' back stories in animation. (Leave Frozen Teardrop where it is. I'm not talking about that one.)

Given SEED's success so far in its revival, doing a quality sendoff for both G and Wing would probably reap some nice financial rewards, especially in the West.
Reddread2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:47 am Reply with quote
G-Gundam is what got me into Gundam so I would be absolutely down for more.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
Just the other day I discovered through a fansite that Imagawa wrote up a project proposal for the Blu-ray release of G Gundam which was a side story about Allenby's past, something we learned little about in the show itself. I hope this is it, I like her character.

BTW, the proposal stated that before the events of the show Allenby was sent to a school made to train Gundam Fighters that was actually a classical shonen manga school, meaning she was expected to fight her way to the top. My personal hope is that the sucess of G-Witch convinced Bandai to give this proposal a try.
Wangen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
G Gundam was never THAT important to me, so I wouldn't ask for a modern full remake series, but it sure could use a movie trilogy version - both to attract the new fans, and also due to its super robot nature - it could be a true visual spectacle nowadays.

G Gundam is one of the less popular Gundams in general, and if they haven't already, I doubt many people will go, and watch the original series now.

I do, however think that they will re-air it if this new project ends up being a new story.

Last edited by Wangen on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:26 am Reply with quote
New G Gundam animation would make my year.
turnsie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
Considering that we're experiencing another surge of appreciation for hot-blooded mecha anime right now, I'm pumping my fists so hard. Just last week I was screaming with a friend about how much campy fun G Gundam is, the excitement is so real.

Ojamajo Doremi, Beyblade, and G Gundam having their respective milestone anniversaries so close to each other... So many of my "formative years" anime have their foot on my neck right now, lord have mercy.
Rowri8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:48 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
G Gundam was never THAT important to me, so I wouldn't ask for a modern full remake series, but it sure could use a movie trilogy version - both to attract the new fans, and also due to its super robot nature - it could be a true visual spectacle nowadays.

G Gundam is one of the less popular Gundams in general, and if they haven't already, I doubt many people will go, and watch the original series now.

I do, however, think that they will re-air it if this new project ends up being a new story.

I'm from Japan and its really loved here, but it is huge in southeast Asia and the middle east because its a Super robot genre, something westerners arent big on to begin with
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:21 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
The new design looks really good. This is cool and surprising...but if G-Gundam gets, say, an OVA/ONA for its 30th, Gundam Wing had BETTER get one for its--and I'm talking the scrapped-for-time Episode Zero scripts/manga chapters (with some of the better refinements added in the Glory of the Losers manga). It would help round out the original so much having the characters' back stories in animation. (Leave Frozen Teardrop where it is. I'm not talking about that one.)

Given SEED's success so far in its revival, doing a quality sendoff for both G and Wing would probably reap some nice financial rewards, especially in the West.

Why not Frozen Teardrop ? I want to see it animated Very Happy
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:

I do, however think that they will re-air it if this new project ends up being a new story.

I don't know about the rest of the world but I think it might be able to get a lot of nostalgia views in America since it was like, the 3rd Gundam to air on Toonami. (4th if you count the original Gundam that didn't make it through its airing).

Anyway, I'm simultaneously excited about this but extremely nervous too. Revivals (or continuations/side stories/etc) of long dead series can sometimes be good but personally I've found them to skew towards bad most of the time. I think G Gundam might be a case of (corny as hell) lightning in a bottle that it'd be hard to capture twice.

Dammit who am I kidding I'm gonna end up watching/reading/etc this thing no matter if it's good or not, G is that close to my formative anime watching years.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting notes about that design 1) her hair is done in the same way at the head of the Master Gundam 2) she seems to be wielding a Chinese sword. Notably Master Asia's title of "Undefeated of the East" was taken from Wuxia novels so maybe they're leaning into that.
levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Make it finally happen.

Wangen wrote:

I think Gundam fans just weren't really into something so different as G Gundam when it first aired in Japan and similar to when Gundam 1979 aired it took some time to find its fanbase. Its uniqueness is what turned fans off but now I think it being such a unique Gundam is what makes it stand out and its more appreciated now than when it first aired.
Hawhawman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
...but if G-Gundam gets, say, an OVA/ONA for its 30th, Gundam Wing had BETTER get one for its--and I'm talking the scrapped-for-time Episode Zero scripts/manga chapters (with some of the better refinements added in the Glory of the Losers manga). It would help round out the original so much having the characters' back stories in animation. (Leave Frozen Teardrop where it is. I'm not talking about that one.)

That or either one of the interquels (Blind Target, Battlefield of Pacifists, or Ground Zero) or G-Unit (AKA The Last Outpost).
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 am Reply with quote
Yay, I hope it's something fun.

I've gradually been watching the entire Gundam franchise in chronological order (up to 1999 now) and G is my favorite so far. Hopefully they'll re-release some kits to celebrate the anniversary so I can get some ridiculous mini figs of Nether Gundam and Mermaid Gundam.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I think people are jumping to conclusions a bit too much assuming this has to be a new anime project when it could be just a new manga for the anniversary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2