• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Official Naruto Post: Creator Masashi Kishimoto Doesn't Post on Social Media

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I don’t blame him for not getting an account, the shippers alone would give him hell.
juaifan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:31 am Reply with quote
All the smart people don't use social media. Although I guess some people's jobs require it for discovery and marketing. Not a job I'd ever want to have. Thankfully mangaka can have their PR guys do that for them.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:19 am Reply with quote
Arent impersonations illegal? They might as well get deleted
Bonebrain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Random parody accounts online roleplaying as other people? No. There's like hundreds of
parody accounts that pretend to be celebrities or politicians on the internet.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:25 am Reply with quote
Good for him not having a social media profile especially on X. Since Musk took over it's become a cesspool of bashing and manipulation. Some of the voice actors have been having a rough time since all the changes and most now use alternative social media platforms.A real shame as I used to enjoy interacting with them but also very understandable due to some stupid people.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:52 am Reply with quote
He's not missing out on anything by not being on social media.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:37 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

No, only when you make a parody of Elon Musk personally and anger the oldest, richest baby in the world.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:04 am Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:
Good for him not having a social media profile especially on X. Since Musk took over it's become a cesspool of bashing and manipulation. Some of the voice actors have been having a rough time since all the changes and most now use alternative social media platforms.A real shame as I used to enjoy interacting with them but also very understandable due to some stupid people.

Don't blame Musk. Nothing has fundamentally changed. Twitter has always been a hypocritical filthy cesspool beneath the surface. I was personally receiving death threats and finding posts on the original twitter encouraging others to locate and shoot me with an oddly specific weapon. When I reported this to Twitter, I was told that no policies were violated and thus the posts would not be removed.
onpufan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:18 am Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:
Don't blame Musk. Nothing has fundamentally changed. Twitter has always been a hypocritical filthy cesspool beneath the surface. I was personally receiving death threats and finding posts on the original twitter encouraging others to locate and shoot me with an oddly specific weapon. When I reported this to Twitter, I was told that no policies were violated and thus the posts would not be removed.

I agreed. Twitter has always been a cesspool. It's always been full of toxicity and bad behavior. People either have very bad memories or they intentionally misconstrue the past to make it seem like it was only toxic since the buyout.

Although impersonations are not exactly unique to X or anything. I see them on Facebook and Instragram too where people pretend to be the official Xbox or Playstation accounts and troll people in the comments since it's easy to do. I remember taking a peek over on Bluesky when it went public and there were people pretending to be Viz Media and other big industry accounts and apparently a lot of people were falling for it there too.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:34 am Reply with quote
I don't blame Kishimoto for not being on social media. From what I've heard,it's a giant hassle. For another thing,I'm a pretty private person and there's a lot of things I don't really want made public. I'm glad I've never really gone on social media. I've been tempted,but the horror stories of it keep me off it. Personally,I see no real reason to be on any form of social media to begin with.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
I would neither if I had written the Ninja War.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:

It has changed, at least in that the worst replies are prioritized to the top of every post. Also, I often use my non-art twitter account for education on genetics, and I got banned for repeated use of "hate-speech". I thought it was someone harassing me with reports, only to later find out the platform banned the word "cis". Twitter was always a cesspool, but Musk made it a cesspool with no silver lining. Unfortunately, I don't really have an alternative that anyone in my community uses, so I'm stuck there. It sucks.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Good on him for not wasting his time on that stuff. He doesn't need it to promote his work, so why bother, or subject himself to the risks?

And bad on the author of this article for editorializing -- and the editor for allowing it. We don't need to be told what is and isn't "a shame." Just give us the facts and let us decide to do with them.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:

I mean, in this specific topic Musk's policy changes have absolutely made things worse. The entire reason the official accounts had to make this statement is because Musk turned the blue checkmarks for verification into something users could just pay for. So now it's much easier to impersonate people - especially celebrities - and make it seem more credible than before. Taking a system designed to clarify information (in this case, "Is this person who they say they are?") and turning it into a paid status symbol that makes impersonation and fraud easier is, well, an overtly negative move.
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Verification still exists, it's just yellow and grey checkmarks now and more regulated and limited to companies and politicians. You can see the yellow checkmark for the official Naruto account in the thumbnail for this article. The main issue in the past was blue checkmarks were initially meant to be mere verification, i.e. someone scans in a photo of their ID to confirm their identity and whatnot, but it quickly deteriorated into a bit of a elitist club granting a calique of people special perks and privileges with guaranteed priority placement in newsfeeds, who-to-follow suggestions, hashtag searched, and other factors. It quickly became less about verifying identity and more of a Cool Kid's club. Opening it up to being a simple buy-in system fixed that. Of course, the people used to the privilege weren't happy they have to share now since when you're used to privilege then equal treatment can seem like discrimination.

If anything, the site implementing the hard rule that you have to state you're a parody account now or risk being banned makes it a lot easier to weed out people mistaking parody accounts for the real deal. But apparently some parody accounts had too much of an ego to admit they were a parody and would rather get banned than do it though like that famous Hideo Kojima parody account that got banned last year finally after ages of people attributing things he said to the actual Hideo Kojima.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2