• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Official Naruto Post: Creator Masashi Kishimoto Doesn't Post on Social Media

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:22 am Reply with quote
Nigel Planter wrote:
Verification still exists, it's just yellow and grey checkmarks now and more regulated and limited to companies and politicians. You can see the yellow checkmark for the official Naruto account in the thumbnail for this article. The main issue in the past was blue checkmarks were initially meant to be mere verification, i.e. someone scans in a photo of their ID to confirm their identity and whatnot, but it quickly deteriorated into a bit of a elitist club granting a calique of people special perks and privileges with guaranteed priority placement in newsfeeds, who-to-follow suggestions, hashtag searched, and other factors. It quickly became less about verifying identity and more of a Cool Kid's club. Opening it up to being a simple buy-in system fixed that. Of course, the people used to the privilege weren't happy they have to share now since when you're used to privilege then equal treatment can seem like discrimination.

The rationale that a "simple" buy-in system fixed problems fell apart (further) this month when X/Twitter arbitrarily gave "complimentary" blue checkmarks to more select accounts, including to some of the same people X/Twitter's current staff once claimed as "lords" in a problematic system, and to people who do not want the blue checkmark since X/Twitter redefined what it means. Shortly after, X/Twitter removed the option to hide the checkmark.

In short, the blue checkmark in 2024 doesn't mean what it did in 2023 (which didn't mean what it did in 2022.) A gold checkmark partly means what a blue checkmark used to mean, except the process is more opaque with a higher buy-in.

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/profile-labels

Except when it doesn't. Speaking of famous manga creators' accounts, Spy x Family's Endo Tatsuya (who is not a company or a politician) mocked getting a Stella Star gold checkmark last April without doing anything.

https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1649642567456395264

One year later, Tatsuya's gold checkmark is now blue, which means ... who knows, really.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:49 am Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:

Don't blame Musk. Nothing has fundamentally changed. Twitter has always been a hypocritical filthy cesspool beneath the surface. I was personally receiving death threats and finding posts on the original twitter encouraging others to locate and shoot me with an oddly specific weapon. When I reported this to Twitter, I was told that no policies were violated and thus the posts would not be removed.

This is still very much a problem on Twitter even under Musk so no we can blame him too. Especially when this guy has posts hidden that use the word “cis” or he actively boosts users who engage in openly homophobic/racists/misogynistic behavior.
psh_fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:03 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This is still very much a problem on Twitter even under Musk so no we can blame him too. Especially when this guy has posts hidden that use the word “cis” or he actively boosts users who engage in openly homophobic/racists/misogynistic behavior.

Banning bad words is pretty standard on most platforms, isn't it?
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 am Reply with quote
Being on social media shouldn't be some mandatory thing so there's nothing to be unfortunate or hard to believe about if someone Kishimoto's age isn't on it. I'm not expecting someone born in the 70's or earlier to be on Twitter. They grew up without internet so its a choice if they want to be on it or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2