• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Azuki, Dentsu Announce Enter the Garden Anime Anthology Series With 1st Part 'The Waiting Man'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunflowerSamurai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:53 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

Yeah man, the repeated posts of the same Corpo Shill Speak are really beating the allegations. You want to know how everyone can see directly through you? Because no one that actually gave a shit about this project would care about any of the details you keep harping on. No one is simply a "fan of the IP" of an IP that doesn't even exist yet. Especially a "fan" so dedicated they supposedly take the time to look into the trademark status of stealing another company's name, which apparently is something you declare so easy to do yet this Fabulous New Company couldn't bother to before making a confusing situation. Unless the goal is to be as confusing as possible and trade off others' legitimacy in order to hock worthless NFTs. But who would ever do that? Surely not such a reputable company as this that has done nothing but join in on scam market opportunities! Very cool that you assure us that they're blazing a proud new financing trail that solves the ethical problems of production committees by instead adding yet another layer of useless bullshit so that people can throw money into an empty pit with even less oversight and reliability!

I do believe you aren't being paid though! These kinds of projects rely on gullible idiots to fill the web with lame ass manager speak responses with the idea that eventually they won't be the ones holding an empty bag. That surely they didn't do the equivalent of setting a stack of cash on fire for a literal jpeg that anyone can save to disk. But hey, that market has already completely cratered and all the grifters that were involved with it have moved onto AI scams. But by all means, continue to roll in shit and then assure us you don't smell of it as you fling it on the walls here, but don't be surprised when everyone easily deduces that you're still full of it.

A lot of accusations in this reply friend. You are really making my "kill 'em with kindness" mentality difficult haha. So to you I will say: let the anime speak for itself Mr. Green
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:58 am Reply with quote
SunflowerSamurai wrote:
Saying “all NFTs = bad”, is like saying “all tech startups = bad”.

Yeah, and both of those are true.
SunflowerSamurai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:16 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You can see pretty much all the comments in the youtube video and the twitter announcement are NFT pfps and "torii gate emoji +IKZ" which obviously is a reference to their tokens.

Grateful for your thoughtful response CrowLia. IKZ is short for Ikuzo - ("Let's go" in Japanese) it's sort of been our catchphrase the past two years. IKZ is like an equivalent to LFG

CrowLia wrote:
But of course the true fun is looking at the sales history of the tokens and seeing how their market worth has fallen between 50% to 90% lower than their peak, around two years ago. So if you're wondering why token holders are so "invested in the IP" and so gung-ho about promoting it... well, there's your why.

You're not wrong that the market has had its ups and downs over the years. The collection is actually still 300% up from its mint price if you can believe that. So initial investors who invested because they believed in the vision are still up. We feel great. We helped fund a brand new anime franchise into existence. People who got burnt buying the top are obviously not feeling so good, but that's the free market for you. Nobody forced them to buy. Chiru Labs never made any false promises. I'm honest enough to say that there are probably still some folks in the community who are there for strictly monetary purposes. But there are thousands of us (all anime lovers). And nobody who has been with Azuki since the beginning cares about the price action anymore. We've spent over 2 years of our lives interacting with each other, becoming friends, seeing each other at meetups all over the world, creating our own brand/products using our Azuki IP, etc. Now the vision is coming to fruition. The community is arguably the most valuable thing that Chiru/Azuki has.

CrowLia wrote:
On a different note, it's really incredible to see this company claim it's run by passionate anime fans trying to shake up the industry, whilst very proudly showcasing how little the project leaders even knew about the industry before dipping into it that they didn't even bother to check if their company name was already being used, or they knew about it and didn't care.

Obviously there is a lot of overlap, but isn't this argument only possible by conflating the manga and anime industries? What percentage of passionate anime watchers do you believe reads manga? The figure is obviously far less in the west than east. The core Chiru Labs founders are Asian-American. Manga is much less popular here in the states compared to anime, so I don't find it at all surprising that they didn't realize there was a manga publishing/licensing company with the same name.

Having said that, I also wish the team did their due diligence in this respect. Unfortunately what's done is done. Next time I'm ever in the room with a team member I definitely want to ask them more about this. Or maybe if i search through years of discord messages I can find a statement I can share here. Nonetheless, I do understand the sentiment there and share the same concern. I don't know what really could be done about it now, however.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 am Reply with quote
SunflowerSamurai wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

Yeah man, the repeated posts of the same Corpo Shill Speak are really beating the allegations. You want to know how everyone can see directly through you? Because no one that actually gave a shit about this project would care about any of the details you keep harping on. No one is simply a "fan of the IP" of an IP that doesn't even exist yet. Especially a "fan" so dedicated they supposedly take the time to look into the trademark status of stealing another company's name, which apparently is something you declare so easy to do yet this Fabulous New Company couldn't bother to before making a confusing situation. Unless the goal is to be as confusing as possible and trade off others' legitimacy in order to hock worthless NFTs. But who would ever do that? Surely not such a reputable company as this that has done nothing but join in on scam market opportunities! Very cool that you assure us that they're blazing a proud new financing trail that solves the ethical problems of production committees by instead adding yet another layer of useless bullshit so that people can throw money into an empty pit with even less oversight and reliability!

I do believe you aren't being paid though! These kinds of projects rely on gullible idiots to fill the web with lame ass manager speak responses with the idea that eventually they won't be the ones holding an empty bag. That surely they didn't do the equivalent of setting a stack of cash on fire for a literal jpeg that anyone can save to disk. But hey, that market has already completely cratered and all the grifters that were involved with it have moved onto AI scams. But by all means, continue to roll in shit and then assure us you don't smell of it as you fling it on the walls here, but don't be surprised when everyone easily deduces that you're still full of it.

A lot of accusations in this reply friend. You are really making my "kill 'em with kindness" mentality difficult haha. So to you I will say: let the anime speak for itself Mr. Green

How much money did you waste on NFTs that this is what you do now? Just dedicating your time to saying the same reply guy stuff that even Twitter has largely lost thanks to the market cratering as it always was bound to. Also thanks for confirming you’ve spent years drinking the sewage water of crypto bros and have forgotten what it’s like to talk to anyone outside of those cesspits. The only misinformation being spread here is by you because I guess mirrors are too scary to look in and realize what a huge waste of money and time you’ve involved yourself in.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:40 am Reply with quote
SunflowerSamurai wrote:
creating our own brand/products using our Azuki IP, etc.

Just wanted to highlight this particular sentence for no reason.
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:25 am Reply with quote
SunflowerSamurai wrote:
I’ve asked folks on this thread to elaborate on their NFT criticism and they go radio silent.

It's this wonderful thing called "I have a life". I'd much rather spend my free time on this earth on a dozenth playthrough of Bloodborne than attempt to spend more than a couple minutes talking to a brick wall (that writes brick walls).
THE DOG CATCHER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
Don't worry guys its up by 300% so he could get out any moment he wanted. He definitely doesn't need to be here in this forum trying his hardest to prove that to us. The IP is why we are here, RIGHT?! Thanks "friend"
redpapermen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 am Reply with quote
Hey Sunflower Samurai,

Very noble attempt at convincing people to give anime from an NFT company a fair go.

But you won't change the minds of people who have already made their minds up. It's sad but true.

You've been nothing but civil but dang the forum here is nasty, y'all need to learn some manners.

Hyper capitalism and the patriarchy are the cause of most ills in society, you already know that. I don't have a problem with NFTs, crypto, stock markets, owning real estate or anything else because it's either drop out of society altogether or play the game. And I like having a roof over my head.

We'll see if the Azuki anime is any good. The Azuki Elementals trailer was pretty damn good, this new one looks interesting too.

As far as the old models of funding anime, and the Mappa employee who was paid $17 for 10 hours of animation for JJK season 2? Forget that, let the old committee and anime production models burn.

We need a revolution.

Do what you like. I don't really care and as long as no one is being hurt, neither should you.

BTW rule 1. of the forum is "Above all else: Be Polite". Massive fail in these comments guys. Do better.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 am Reply with quote
redpapermen wrote:
Hyper capitalism and the patriarchy are the cause of most ills in society, you already know that. I don't have a problem with NFTs, crypto, stock markets, owning real estate or anything else because it's either drop out of society altogether or play the game. And I like having a roof over my head.

"I don't have a problem with playing the game of capitalism because we need to do it to live" isn't really in line with what SS has been saying though. Like, that's an earnest stance to take, sure, but Sunflower Samurai is a guy who describes the art he likes as "IP with a lot of potential". That's not a guy giving something made with hyper-capitalism a chance, that's a guy actively playing the game in this very thread.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:11 pm Reply with quote
redpapermen wrote:

Ugh. I already loath the "deepfakes/ai/stuff which is obviously bad isn't the problem, capitalism is the problem" shtick techbros like to do. Half the stuff I hate under capitalism would be bad under any society, monarchy, communism, yada yada, let alone the "communism at home" techbros like to advocate for, aka capitalism lite aka "ubi". Yes. Shock horror, if its bad under capitalism its probably bad under capitalism with extra welfare....

But that's not even the card your playing. The stock market, LANDLORDISM, crypto, those ARE the capitalism. Your just saying landlordism isn't the problem, capitalism is the problem. It's [expletive] absurd.

Yeah. Duh, landlordism wouldn't be the problem under communism because it wouldn't exist. Landlordism fundamentally requires private property.

Like, think about it. What is the stock market, well, I'm not an economist, but my understanding is it creates what is functionally a currency, and ownership of that currency represents ownership of a corporation. This IS NOT COMMUNISM. The person who owns more currency units owns more of the company, so whoevers richest can own more of a corporation than poorer people... this is fundamentally incompatible with communism.

Like WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE talking about. How have techbros neutered and butchered anticapitalist rhetoric... and I'm not really a marxist/red flag at all... so much that ANY OF THIS makes sense?
redpapermen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:

But that's not even the card your playing. The stock market, LANDLORDISM, crypto, those ARE the capitalism. Your just saying landlordism isn't the problem, capitalism is the problem. It's [expletive] absurd.

Yeah. Duh, landlordism wouldn't be the problem under communism because it wouldn't exist. Landlordism fundamentally requires private property.

Last I checked we don't live in a communist society. Pretty sure folks in North Korea don't have Anime News Network and Crunchy Roll etc.,

I did state, it's either of these two options.
1) play the game, which includes all types of capitalism to survive (including all the various types of investments.)
2) drop out, go live in the forrest, join a commune, become a monk or nun etc.

Which do you choose?

It's clear you just want to virtue signal in this forum and don't have an understanding of what this tech is trying to do. That's fine. You can keep supporting the current broken models which leave anime industry staffers living below the poverty line.

While you guys complain and give Sunflower a hard time the system is already changing.

I prefer those who actually contribute constructive solutions to the broken anime funding model, and so do others like the ex-Crunchy Roll/Netflix Anime exec Henshin who recognises that this blockchain stuff will help change funding models.

I'm going to stop posting here and so should you Sunflower.

Let the anime and the tech change lives. People will either catch up or be left behind.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 pm Reply with quote
redpapermen wrote:

I did state, it's either of these two options.
1) play the game, which includes all types of capitalism to survive (including all the various types of investments.)
2) drop out, go live in the forrest, join a commune, become a monk or nun etc.

Which do you choose?

[...]

I prefer those who actually contribute constructive solutions to the broken anime funding model, and so do others like the ex-Crunchy Roll/Netflix Anime exec Henshin who recognises that this blockchain stuff will help change funding models.

You don't get to have this both ways. It can't be "capitalism is a problem and we just have to play the game against eachother to survive" AND "playing the game can fix the issues created by capitalism". Either investing in crypto/NFTs/etc. is a great way to personally win money for yourself OR it's actually something that can help the industry and workers as a whole, but you can't hold both stances.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, another completely new account created specifically to let us know that NFTs are good actually and totally love the IP totally looks interesting, yeah man I totally don't have actual stock on this project having financial success. Cryptobros really think the rest of us were born yesterday.

Quick question, how much are the animators involved in this project getting paid? What steps is this corporation taking to make sure the workers are compensated fairly and enjoy proper working conditions? Asking because nothing in the website gives any indication about it yet you're somehow convinced this is better than the Mappa exploitation model?
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:07 pm Reply with quote
redpapermen wrote:
You can keep supporting the current broken models which leave anime industry staffers living below the poverty line.

I don't think anyone here wants a world that underpays and overworks the anime industry.
Credit to Azuki if what they're doing is supporting animators more, sure. However, I don't think NFTs are the only way to fix up a broken system, and presenting it like "cryptobros will save the anime industry" is bizarre. Our only choices are support NFTs or watch animators suffer?

Some people are actively trying to improve the anime industry, and they're doing it without relying on NFTs. The "revolution" has already started.
THE DOG CATCHER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Oh look, another completely new account created specifically to let us know that NFTs are good actually and totally love the IP totally looks interesting, yeah man I totally don't have actual stock on this project having financial success. Cryptobros really think the rest of us were born yesterday.

Quick question, how much are the animators involved in this project getting paid? What steps is this corporation taking to make sure the workers are compensated fairly and enjoy proper working conditions? Asking because nothing in the website gives any indication about it yet you're somehow convinced this is better than the Mappa exploitation model?

No No No you don't understand! That is just a weird coincidence and definitely not the same NFT bro trying to his hardest to sell us on this whole new income that is all going to the animators! Also pay no mind to the actual Mappa animator who debunked the $17 cut on Twitter and told people not to run with that narrative. Source https://twitter.com/38___sr/status/1779903106907779476?t=YXRKEFlhM9GFQDK8XDTXWg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4