• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Do You Do When Your Fav Anime Isn't Simulcast?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepyBat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
And why woudl Toei continue making English logos (and translating names) well after Europe stopped licensing content? Even when GF was a thing, they still kept making English logos.

At its core, those logos and titles exist to sell the series globally (including non-English territories). If you know where to look you'll often find this kind of stuff on sites intended for program buyers, or on flyers from licensing expositions.

In some cases these can be so that when the series does get licensed they can mandate their designs/titles in order to control the image, but this varies case-by-case and by the company. Some do very WordArt-tier logos that aren't expected to get used. And then sometimes they get used anyways (see Urusei Yatsura '22, but hell if I know if that was mandated or not).
jakewil85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm Reply with quote
jakewil85 wrote:
In case you don't know, episode 11 and 12 of Pon no Michi are blocked on Youtube because of bogus copyright claims.

Both are unblocked for now.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm a bit late here, but wanted to chime in on Anime Strike. Yes, it was lame you had to pay for it on top of your prime subscription. However, it wasn't all bad.

Amazon announced Anime Strike would have offline downloads available from the jump, and within months Crunchyroll responded by adding offline downloads to VRV, something crunchyroll subscribers had been asking for for years. Competition is a good thing.

I hope if Crunchyroll gets a bit too comfortable with their position, some other company swoops in and makes them uncomfortable again. That's how we get the best product as consumers.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The noxiousness of the corporate mindset is twofold.
For once, it's not only that fansub groups have minimized their presence (although when I need them I always manage to find them easily, and very rarely with worse quality than licensed ones), but also how they've managed to ingrain the belief that you can't enjoy media or any form of culture without mediating an economical transaction. If it isn't licensed, then it's a moral mandate to bury the work and gaslight the masses into ignoring it exists! Sadder still, is that reaction when the streaming platforms that have it very clearly do not want your money, and people's first reaction is pay three-fold instead (for their local service, for the foreign service, and for the VPN to watch the foreign service).

Be shameless about it! Talk about your loved shows non-stop! Shout proudly how you're watching it! Send those links! Share that disc! Copy that floppy!
Remember that if corporations could they would delete libraries - some have certainly tried. So don't let them win even on the stuff they aren't willing to take your money for.
Even if you believe you should always give compensation for the stuff you enjoy when you can, don't feel obligued to withold your own enjoyment when you can't.

Quote:
There was a time when even ANN's Preview Guide was written watching fansubs, simulcasting being a developing luxury. But nowadays, there's an expectation that series covered in columns like this, or seasonal and annual best-of lists, will only be legally, officially released anime.

Now, who is responsible for that expectation? Wink

RobbiRobb wrote:
While not as important in Japan as Sazae-san, I'd like to name Pokémon here as well. The anime to one of the largest gaming and media franchises out there is still only available through fansubs.

The Pokémon anime's situation is so funny. Not only on the subtitle front but as a whole. Now that the games get worlwide releases and that the Pokémon machine is allegedly a well-greased machine where everything must be released with perfect timing under a strict schedule, the anime's international releases are up to a year behind the Japanese pace completely obliterating that precious timing that the games' quality is being sacrificed for Laughing
Bertram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how well-greased Pokemon is in Japan these days. I remember when the new anime would debut alongside the same week the new games came out in Japan. But now it doesn't anymore and the games can be out for years before the new anime does.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah the anime deciding to adapt scarlet and violet, hideous uniforms and all, months after they breathed their last sure is a choice
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4