• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Do You Do When Your Fav Anime Isn't Simulcast?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
“what do you do when your fav anime isn’t simulcast?”

I pirate it.

To quote Marge Simpson, you shouldn't say it. At least for the writers, you definitely shouldn't say it out loud on a website if you still wanna get sent legal press screeners and such.

RobbiRobb wrote:
Glordit wrote:
Isn't Pokemon streamed globally on Netflix and via the Switch app?

It's complicatedTM. But it's always the dub, no sub in any country. And the switch app... well, that was shut down last month. Together with the streams through the official website.

Wow, I hadn't looked into it (since I wasn't really interested in the Pokemon anime) but that's kinda wild. I know some of Netflix's anime default to dub when you just pick it to watch but I've never seen one that straight up doesn't offer sub. That must be a weird contract. But I get it, the vast majority of that show's viewers are gonna be dub watchers anyway.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company's logic about its releases has long been questionable to fans paying attention. Think about how long we had to pester ol' Puss in Boots to lift the blockade on a powerhouse franchise like Pretty Cure.

I have to disagree with this. Yes Pretty Cure was mostly unlicensed until 2020 (The two Glitter Force dubs are exceptions) but I wouldn't blame Toei definitely (Or, shockingly, at all).

Looking at Toei (And Toei USA) it seems they did try to promote the franchise in the 2000s-2010s. Ocean Productions released a dub in 2009 (which didn't last long), Winckler Productions got Pretty Cure 5 (never got picked up) and 4Kids was able to license the first series until they lost the license in 2006. Toei was seen promoting Mahou Tsukai at Anime Japan 2016. But the biggest shred of proof to me: Toei USA bothering to give every single season an English logo, even translating certain names into English and giving English logos to the series airing from 2016-2018 (when GF was a thing). if Toei never planned to license Pretty Cure to the West, why bother do any of this?

Also, this doesn't make any sense. Why would Toei purposely gatekeep one of their biggest titles but then give every other one of their big IPs western licensing? Shouldn't Once Piece, DBZ, Sailor Moon (Yes I know Cosmos isn't available yet) and Digimon be treated the same way? Yet these franchises seem to have an easier way to achieve Western licensing (especially the shonen stuff). Yet it's Pretty Cure, the only IP aimed ay young girls, that gets ignored?

If I have to blame somebody, I'd say look at the Western Anime companies that didn't license any girls' anime since the late 2000s. Toei may get flack for Pretty Cure, but you can't blame them for:

*Tokyo Mew Mew
*Ojamajo Doremi
**Ashita no Nadja
Aikatsu
***Mermaid Melody
Jewelpet
The Pretty Series (Pretty Rhythm, **PriPara, Kiratto Pri Chan, Himitsu No Aipri)
Mewkledreamy

* Show wasn't re-licensed.

** Show wasn't picked up by a broadcaster, though it was licensed at a time

*** Mermaid Melody was dubbed, but ADV never released it.

Yeah, pretty convenient that all of these shows had trouble getting licensed (Or re-licensed) in the same time frame Pretty Cure was unavailable. And when Pretty Cure was finally picked up by Crunchyroll (in 2020, the year COVID was ruining the planet), the Pretty Series also began seeing licensed content too (Kiratto PriChan Season 1, PriPara Season 4, Waccha PriMagi got a simulcast). And with CR; they licensed Healin Good in June 2020, right before it returned form it's two month hiatus. If they really wanted HG, why not license it in February?

So I don't think Toei's to blame---can't confirm this because I never had a business relationship with them ever, but looking at things subjectively has give me a different viewpoint. As for their latest show, seeing Toei USA promote makes me think Toei wanted to license it but nobody wanted it. Maybe it was Toei's faults, or its the licensors who didn't care for it. Maybe they thought it looked unsettling and didn't want to invest in it. I don't know.

Quote:
There are rumors that it's hiding somewhere in France, but for the time being, law authorities are treating this like a missing persons case

It's streaming on Anime Digital Network.
jakewil85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
In case you don't know, episode 11 and 12 of Pon no Michi are blocked on Youtube because of bogus copyright claims.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:

Also, this doesn't make any sense. Why would Toei purposely gatekeep one of their biggest titles but then give every other one of their big IPs western licensing? Shouldn't Once Piece, DBZ, Sailor Moon (Yes I know Cosmos isn't available yet) and Digimon be treated the same way? Yet these franchises seem to have an easier way to achieve Western licensing (especially the shonen stuff). Yet it's Pretty Cure, the only IP aimed ay young girls, that gets ignored?

If I have to blame somebody, I'd say look at the Western Anime companies that didn't license any girls' anime since the late 2000s. Toei may get flack for Pretty Cure, but you can't blame them for:

While certainly US distributors should do more to license shojo and magical girl IPs, in the case of Precure we do know Crunchyroll tried to grab Precure for years but Toei insisted they would have to buy the entire backlog and that was too expensive for them than they thought it was worth it to get until the deal they have with Toei now. I presume this is also likely why they still haven't added any of the Precure backlog besides Kira Kira because of Toei's high demands. This has also been an issue with other Toei IPs which is why Shout Factory has struggled to buy the rights to Super Sentai and Kamen Rider shows after the old deal with Saban expired as Toei is charging a small fortune to simulcast their toku shows. Even in the other shows you bring up it took decades before the 90s Sailor Moon anime got a full uncut release and the 90s Sailor Stars wasn't released in any format in the US till like five years ago. Dragon Ball also took years to get a full uncut release of shows and all of Funimation's releases have been plagued with quality control issues and questionable dubbing choices. One Piece also took years to get an uncut release available and there was that whole mess with the 4Kids adaptation. Again yes US companies have their own history of turning their noses up against shojo and magical girl IPs but Toei being a difficult company to work with has been well known and Toei still won't give Doremi a proper release in NA.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is that because Sazae-san is only broadcast once, no re-runs or home releases?

It's changed in recent years I think, at least some episodes are available on Amazon Prime in Japan. Might just be an exception though. But overall the creator was very strict with how Sazae-san was handled. Although there's obviously plenty of non-official archives of the episodes floating around.

Stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh make sense why. The companies want to keep the brand synergy intact so revealing that. That's why even when Yu-Gi-Oh got subs for awhile they used the dub names for the cards and everything even if they were in perfect English originally and the characters saying something completely different. I assume any official Pokemon sub that may eventually pop up would insist on using the English names for everything as well.

It's not anime but I assume the same is for Super Sentai. Disney and Saban were infamous for blockading and gatekeeping various Japanese IPs to stop them from competing with the good old "Power Rangers". Macross fans should know about that. And apparently Disney was powerful enough to meddle with Kyatto Ninden Teyandee for decades until semi-recently. Disney even stopped them from appearing in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Nipasu wrote:

While certainly US distributors should do more to license shojo and magical girl IPs, in the case of Precure we do know Crunchyroll tried to grab Precure for years but Toei insisted they would have to buy the entire backlog and that was too expensive for them than they thought it was worth it to get until the deal they have with Toei now..

Where is this claim from? And if legit, why did Saban only license Smile and Doki Doki? (Unless Toei changed their tune by then).

Quote:
Even in the other shows you bring up it took decades before the 90s Sailor Moon anime got a full uncut release and the 90s Sailor Stars wasn't released in any format in the US till like five years ago.

I think Toei or Cloverway tried promoting Sailor Stars but nobody licensed it. And looking at how the first four seasons were dubbed, I can't imagine how anybody back then would have handled Stars.

Quote:
Toei still won't give Doremi a proper release in NA.

Yet Looking For Magical Doremi received an English dub that was produced in Dubai and is streaming in the UK.

It's weird because of the circumstances, but also impractical to dub it anyways because the English dub only did Season 1 (minus one ep).
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 am Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
Toei USA bothering to give every single season an English logo, even translating certain names into English and giving English logos to the series airing from 2016-2018 (when GF was a thing). if Toei never planned to license Pretty Cure to the West, why bother do any of this?

Those English logos came from Toei Japan and were also used in other countries who had the series like Italy when they had their dub airing on TV pre-Glitter Force.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This has also been an issue with other Toei IPs which is why Shout Factory has struggled to buy the rights to Super Sentai and Kamen Rider shows after the old deal with Saban expired as Toei is charging a small fortune to simulcast their toku shows.

In the case of Super Sentai (and certain Metal Heroes shows), that's more on Hasbro since they have the rights now after Saban sold the Power Rangers rights to them. It's part of why those that got streamed on the Toei Toku YouTube channel got region-blocked outside of parts of Asia.

Nipasu wrote:
Where is this claim from? And if legit, why did Saban only license Smile and Doki Doki? (Unless Toei changed their tune by then).

It was from a guy in the Sakuga community and while he closed his Twitter long ago, here's the quote since it was posted at Sailor Moon Forum in 2015 after he tweeted it.

Quote:
[Crunchyroll] has tried to license Precure but I've been told Toei wants to sell it as a package deal (the entire thing)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:08 am Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:

These are comments I recall hearing from former Crunchyroll staff on Twitter. Saban licensed Smile and Doki Doki as a package deal of 50 episodes hence why they skipped and combined half of Doki Doki because they could only dub 50 episodes total of both shows. The show didn't meet expectations so they let the show go and the rights reverted back to Toei.

Quote:

I think Toei or Cloverway tried promoting Sailor Stars but nobody licensed it. And looking at how the first four seasons were dubbed, I can't imagine how anybody back then would have handled Stars.
Multiple companies tried to release Sailor Stars sub only like Pioneer and ADV but Toei wouldn't let anyone have it It's well known among the anime industry that Sailor Stars was highly sought after back in the original run of the show so it's certainly not because of a lack of interest from the NA side that it didn't happen. Even when the license fell into limbo companies like Funimation tried to license it but it remained elusive for years and Viz had to reportedly pay Toei a small fortune for the rights.

Quote:

Yet Looking For Magical Doremi received an English dub that was produced in Dubai and is streaming in the UK.

It's weird because of the circumstances, but also impractical to dub it anyways because the English dub only did Season 1 (minus one ep).
That didn't stop Crunchyroll from getting the Yes Precure 5 sequel even though the original series never got licensed. I imagine if the new Doremi sequel project is a TV show Crunchyroll will get that too but Toei still probably wouldn't let them have the original even if they do.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:00 am Reply with quote
I have a better question: what if the anime you like is licensed "worldwide" by a platform who doesn't think the world exists beyond the US?
For example, Mission Yozakura Family is in Disney+… in some countries, apparently.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Technically Blue Archive does have an English sub on Ani-One Asia. Sadly, it's terrible.
It is now getting quality fansubs at least on [redacted, meow]. This may be the first time I'll ever try watching something fansubbed as it airs.

When stuff doesn't get licensed, man can things be a mess. Strike the Blood III, IV, and V, the quality of the fansubs were terrible and it's unlikely Crunchyroll will get the rest. Recently III and IV got better fansubs, but V is still SOL.

On the bright side, the few groups left have much higher standards than the garbage from the 2000s. 2000s fansubs are almost universally atrocious, people were basically wanting romaji captions back then. Also, if you were watching TV fansubs, oof. I recently managed to come across TV fansubs of two old Shaft shows to see how they differed from the DVD versions (as Shaft stuff tends to differ the most from TV to home video) I saw on FUNimationNow, MoonPhase and Pani Poni Dash!, and ouch at how awful the video quality was. Whenever I find myself watching an old SD fansub, the video souce is usually from a DVD, so this was quite something to see.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLKP2UNWEAADxE0?format=png&name=orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLKP3_QXMAAzH9T?format=png&name=orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLKP7LZW4AAQVOK?format=png&name=orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLKP9FXWMAAFvcw?format=png&name=orig
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 am Reply with quote
Aside from the standard "contracts and rights can be weird sometimes," I think we're dealing with the two facts that anime has never been bigger and anime in the US has never been more monopolized. Yes, there are multiple streaming options for anime, but the ones that the market associate with anime are Crunchyroll and HIDIVE and they are not on the same level as each other. So Japanese companies with perhaps an overinflated view of their product (for once) ask for too much and Sony counters with offering too little, and the gap is too big to reconcile.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I have a better question: what if the anime you like is licensed "worldwide" by a platform who doesn't think the world exists beyond the US?
For example, Mission Yozakura Family is in Disney+… in some countries, apparently.

That's easy to answer. We pirate or watch the ripped streams.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:11 am Reply with quote
As a fan of Shinkalion I know the feeling. Cause unless your Precure post Healin Good and Digimon, anime streaming sites don't simulcast anime with toy lines.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
As a fan of Shinkalion I know the feeling. Cause unless your Precure post Healin Good and Digimon, anime streaming sites don't simulcast anime with toy lines.

At least Shinkalion has a reliable fansub group/person, same one as for the previous seasons.
nutmegknight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 am Reply with quote
Liking children’s anime especially ones aimed at girls is rough when it comes to official streaming or even fan subs. Multiple shoujo anime that came out decades ago aren’t fully subbed or even only got fansubbed a little while ago (Lady Lady!!, Ask Dr. Rin, Fushigiboshi no Futagohime are among some examples of old Shoujo anime not fully subbed through some of these are by Toei and they aren’t great when it comes to making their series available in English)

Though I suppose a lot of factors come into play like adults not wanting to watch kids shows or shows for girls especially if they didn’t grow up with it, licensors not wanting to license a kids anime in subs given that the target audience may not be old enough to read subs and some of these anime are meant to sell toys and they may not want to make toys and release an anime (Mermaid Melody didn’t get picked up for an English dub airing because they couldn’t get a merch deal I believe). Even if kids anime gets an English dub, it can be horribly butchered (4kids dubs and even Glitter Force recently).

It’s also pretty bad with manga too, either it’s poorly done (early Tokyopop releases of Tokyo Mew Mew) or just doesn’t release officially (Tokyo Mew Mew 2020 Re-Turn).

Was disappointed that the recent Himitsu no Aipri didn’t get an English simulcast despite the recent Primagi, another Pretty Series anime, getting one through Hidive (though I guess not enough people watched it or bought the Blu ray but I guess it’s not as well known as Crunchyroll and their poor mobile app at the time put people off).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4