• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Are This Season's Isekai Anime Any Good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Obligatory reminder that SAO is VRMMO, not isekai, and anyone who believes otherwise will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

In the same vein, would you say PriPara and AiPri are also VRMMO (though idol VRMMO rather than RPG)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Obligatory reminder that SAO is VRMMO, not isekai, and anyone who believes otherwise will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Technicalities. Overall, yes, SAO isn't a true isekai series, but its Aincard arc fundamentally is, and a case could be argued that its Alicization arc has both isekai and reverse-isekai elements.

Besides, a title doesn't have to be part of a genre to have a big influence on it. For instance, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman wasn't a mecha or Giant/Super Robot series, but it still had a big impact on that genre. (It introduced the concept of combining vehicles, among other things.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Any isekai that grants you a harder life than the one you had before or makes you tell yourself "I want a refund" then goes against the basic trope of the genre.

So where does SAO fall under this definition? It's a power fantasy but people are also trapped in the game and some even commit suicide out of despair.

I would also argue against some you listed. Main (from Ascendance of bookworm) is constantly pleased with her situation. There are threats and hardships but I bet if she was asked she'd say her new life is both better and worse in some regards. Meanwhile, what about Naofumi (Shield hero)? Is his life better or worse off, since being transported?

Personally, your definition reminds me of when people argue: "This character isn't OP because he struggled that one time!" or "he struggled two times!" Struggles, hardship and consequences are kind of subjective.

SAO may be cruel to secondary characters but MC rarely struggles, and quickly gets friends and hot girlfriend and a harem. Main may be happy, but AFAIK she's more like MaoMao from Apothecary Diaries - a weirdo whose priorities are different from average people. Naofumi gathers a harem and is powerful, isn't he? Isekai and other Narou JRPG-style fantasy - which I'd argue is better kind of name than falsely calling everything isekai just for having Narou male-oriented fantasy tropes - tropes mainly involve standard male power fantasy, if main guy gets harem and adoration of his friends and lovers, and his enemies are often ugly, dumb and comically evil, and eventually humiliated by the MC, then it's full of Narou tropes.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Milos:

I'll go instead with the broader (and self-evident) "finding yourself in another world" trope. Certainly being fundamentally a power fantasy is true of a lot of them, but not so much that I'd say offering a non-insert premise like Overlord or Tanya or Re:Zero or Mushoku Tensei marks them as a rejection of isekai's central trope. John Carter falls into the power fantasy thing, but I'm not sure Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland does, and those are just as much isekais as Carter's adventures are.

I don't like talking about a lot about MT since I don't watch it, however, I wanna point out that Alice in Wonderland is, indeed, the most famous isekai there is and yes, John Carter is an isekai too.

"Isekai" just means "Summoned hero", its a setting as old as the world itself, numerous are the histories of the hero who goes or gets transported to a weird place: The Odyssey, Gulliver's Travels, The Divine Comedy, Flash Gordon... name a culture and they will have a tale about the hero going into the Underworld either as a test or to recover a loved one.

Old school "Hero's Journey" where the MC needs to proof his value, but isekai at the end of the day.

Hal14 wrote:

- SAO: Technically yes, but, no, the concept its there but at the end of the day its still a game not another world, besides, I am sure many people would like to be in Kirito's place with a hot rich girlfriend and a house in the middle of the forest next to a lake.

- Main being happy here and there doesn't mean she is happy with her situation, by the end of season 3 she is a glorified recluse, unable to see her new family, sad because she cannot apologize to her OG mother and now she needs to become this rando's daughter and keep playing with the rich and powerful when she just wanna make paper and pizza and if she leaves she dies.

- Shield Hero is 2 plots in one, is both an isekai and expelled from the hero's party and, quite frankly, neither is well thought, the fact that the writer needs to perpetually write the other heroes as morons in order to artificially create conflict says it all.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, nah, SAO isn't an isekai.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I had to stop watching Re:Monster because it was making me uncomfortable.

7th Prince and the Villainess show Sentai is dubbing right are are okay.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One guy drinks a horse's brain to make it run faster

Run faster?! Wouldn't that make it, you know, dead? Shocked
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
However, Mushoku Tensei is about as bog standard of an Isekai as there is (mostly because it's been ripped-off so much) and it's arguably the greatest isekai anime ever. There are many superior isekai that play around at the edges with standard plot devices, such as Slime (he's a monster!) or Overlord (he's the villain!) or Ascendance of a Bookworm, but I would hardly say any of those "reject every trope an isekai should have." Even The Eminence in Shadow, while partly a parody of isekai tropes (much moreso than Konasuba) is equally as much a celebration of those tropes as well. Do you have any other examples?

A really great isekai would involve ordinary people transported into a fantasy world where they would participate in an epic quest or similar extended plot line - oh wait, I just described Fushigi Yûgi which is the high point of isekai as far as I am concerned.
pip25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I fear we've been scraping the bottom of that metaphorical barrel for years now, actually.

Quote:
Isekai and all the various circumstances that have led to its proliferation in the past decade feel like a pig being repeatedly fed its poop, struggling to wring nutrients from its increasingly recycled list of tropes until it starves to death.

This on the other hand made my day. Pure poetry.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 pm Reply with quote
This got me thinking of what I believe was the first big genre trend to take over the anime industry -- giant robot anime in the '70s. Mazinger Z starts airing in 1972 (very nearly 40 years before SAO S1), it's a smash hit, and within a year and a half the first of its imitators appears. And the peak of this phenomenon? During the second half of 1976, there were… drumroll, please… a whopping eight mecha anime on the air.

Yeah. Eight. And two years later, it was down to three. (Hell, before that, in May 1978, Toushou Daimos was the only one airing.) Gundam 0079 was only the 25th giant robot anime ever. That's what passed for a major phenomenon in the anime industry of the 1970s.

And today, my Narou anime spreadsheet -- tracking a trend that started with Log Horizon in 2013 -- is up to over 100 anime that have been released over the past decade (plus more in the works), most of which are either isekai or draw from an "isekai-adjacent" pool of story trends that have little to do with what makes a good novel series or TV series, and can even be actively antithetical to what makes for a compelling narrative in both forms. And even writers working outside the webnovel field have been hopping on the bandwagon.

…Ironically, I think the actual licensed Final Fantasy isekai manga is one of the better titles. Even the way it gives its hero Libra as a special isekai power feels better-used than the bulk of isekai that just throw something like that in.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
One guy drinks a horse's brain to make it run faster

Run faster?! Wouldn't that make it, you know, dead? Shocked

Well, yes, but he only drank part of it, so not right away.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
This got me thinking of what I believe was the first big genre trend to take over the anime industry -- giant robot anime in the '70s. Mazinger Z starts airing in 1972 (very nearly 40 years before SAO S1), it's a smash hit, and within a year and a half the first of its imitators appears. And the peak of this phenomenon? During the second half of 1976, there were… drumroll, please… a whopping eight mecha anime on the air.

Yeah. Eight. And two years later, it was down to three. (Hell, before that, in May 1978, Toushou Daimos was the only one airing.) Gundam 0079 was only the 25th giant robot anime ever. That's what passed for a major phenomenon in the anime industry of the 1970s.

And today, my Narou anime spreadsheet -- tracking a trend that started with Log Horizon in 2013 -- is up to over 100 anime that have been released over the past decade...

Oh, this is neat (and of course you have a Narou anime spreadsheet Laughing). Have you looked at them compared to the total number of anime titles produced in those periods? To control for the total number of anime in general being much larger these days, I mean.

Piglet the Grate wrote:
A really great isekai would involve ordinary people transported into a fantasy world where they would participate in an epic quest or similar extended plot line - oh wait, I just described Fushigi Yûgi which is the high point of isekai as far as I am concerned.

Huh, never heard of it (EDIT: ahhh, just barely predates my introduction to anime). I'll have to check that out.

I was idly trying to figure out what isekai I could recommend to people unreservedly, and the only two that I summoned off the top of my head were Re;Zero and The Twelve Kingdoms, which surprised me, given how massive the genre is.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
People want Rudy's life? That's a new one on me. Because a lot of his dual lives, even the second one, sucks. And the idea that Rudy suffers no consequences from his actions is patently ridiculous. The whole story revolves around a character spending an entire second lifetime learning from mistakes and overcoming personal trauma to become a better person. I'd say most of the critics you cite are just people who don't like the show but feel the need to justify it instead of saying, "Yeah, it's not my bag." Sadly, that's a pretty regular thing.

Rudy is a standard Narou type hero. In what ways does he become a better person? He becomes less of recluse, able to interact with the world and get stuff done. That is, he overcomes those personal failings that stop him enjoying his own life; the failings would stop him being a classic narou protagonist. He does so fairly trivially.

Does he stop commiting sexual assaults or overcome his perverse sexual desires? Does he avoid, for example, serious moral failings like kidnapping or slaving? No, not at all. Rudy story isn't about being a better person because he doesn't overcome things because they are moral failings (and lasting consequences for any of them? laughable.).

He overcomes only those things that are an obstacle to him becoming a cool wish fulfillment fantasy protagonist. Its not a morality tale, its a wish fulfillment one; what we might consider his worst vices essentially aren't once he is powerful and cool enough for everyone to forgive them. He overcomes being a shut-in to self-actualize; he doesn't learn virtue.

To be clear, I don't care if people like Mushoku Tensei. I don't care if people like redo of healer! Entertainment doesn't have to meet a high moral standard at all. But the conceit that Rudy is a clever character study who faces real struggles ect ect is just not accurate. he's ultimately one of the most powerful people in the world with multiple wives; his course is not different from your standard isekai protagonist.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
"Isekai" just means "Summoned hero"

I thought isekai translated into English as "other world." I don't speak Japanese but the google translator I just used gave me that answer.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I tried to connect something I liked to the topic at hand by raising the question as to whether PriPara and AiPri counted as isekai. I got completely ignored and that kind of stings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Essedess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny, and a bit sad, that all you focused for 7th prince was the fanservice. It has the best battles, the best OST, and the best MC of all isekai this season. But as always, people judge a book by its cover. Your loss, but episode 3 had the best fight this season, going to DBZ levels of literally throwing Desturcto Discs, then getting shitty loot after winning the boss fight as it it was a Bethesda RPG. So he packs up the dungeon chest itself in his Bag of Holding while the dungeon crumbles. So yeah... you all are missing out. And yeah, the MC is a bit of a psycho. Like Goku, all he wants is a good fight to test his magic, everything else be damned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9