• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence Film Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medicinodestiny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am Reply with quote
liatris wrote:
MAPPA president Otsuka said that the money the studio earned was tiny compared to the money Yuri earned. At the time, MAPPA was a small company and could not make much of an investment.
If that is the case, it may be inevitable. Well, this is just a guess.

They did. For all the talk of how popular or successful the show was, MAPPA saw barely any of it. It's no surprise it was put on the back burner compared to newer series and did not prioritize it very much. I also wonder if current events also threw a monkey wrench into things. Given a lot of the anti-Russian sentiment in recent years, having a few Russian characters in leading roles might cause some outrage with some people, especially oversea, so ultimately it just wasn't worth it.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 am Reply with quote
Yep. I called this last year after MAPPA’s CEO made remarks about how little they made from the franchise (animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-07-18/yuri-on-ice-made-its-studio-very-little-money-according-to-mappa-ceo/.200418).

Disappointed to say the least, but already came to terms with this almost a year ago. Shame MAPPA continues to squander any goodwill they’ve earned from fans of various IP.

At least we have the memories of the anime as well as the ability to rewatch it time and time again.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 am Reply with quote
medicinodestiny wrote:
...I also wonder if current events also threw a monkey wrench into things. Given a lot of the anti-Russian sentiment in recent years, having a few Russian characters in leading roles might cause some outrage with some people, especially oversea, so ultimately it just wasn't worth it.

I thought it was more animosity directed at The Putin™ in particular than Russians in general? We are getting Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian this summer after all.

Wonder if any newer non-Japanese fans would be disappointed to find that Yuri!!! on Ice is "yaoi on ice" and not "yuri on ice" - thought the latter would be like 0:53 to 1:05 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYrVKLBhitE
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought it was more animosity directed at The Putin™ in particular than Russians in general? We are getting Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian this summer after all.

I think YoI specifically just had a lot of circumstances behind it that makes it really hard to igore what's going on in real life. This is a figure skating show, so you gotta know what's been going on with the skating scene in relation to Russia. Not only have they been banned from most competitions since the war started, just right before, they had a massive doping scandal on an international stage that brought huge attention to how abusive and factory-like their coaching and training methods are. The end of the series implies Yuri moved his home base over to Russia, so I'm assuming at least a decent chunk of it would've taken place there. The Russians have been struggling to regain the trust of the rest of the skating community for a while now, so I could definitely see a movie where we're just supposed to pretend none of this is going on a tad bit awkward.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am Reply with quote
After Yuzuru Hanyu's retirement from competitive figure skating, the sport cooled off in Japan

Sports popularity in Japan tend to be driven by celebrity athletes, rather than the sport itself
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately like many people here, I can't say I'm surprised it was canceled.
But man I wish we could have gotten that movie!

YOI is special to me (even got Jessie Grelle to sign my limited edition collection), and a continuation is something I've wanted since the last episode.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:54 am Reply with quote
What? How the Hell? Wasn't YOI like, massive? My solidarity is with the fans of YOI.

As pointed out before on this forum, geopolitics could play a role, courtesy of some maniac's (country) size obsession. Or it could be that the anime industry is not very healthy, financially speaking.. Regardless, it's a shame that such a well-received work doesn't get it's sequel, and yet some lower-tier isekai does, for instance.
WeebRunningWild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 am Reply with quote
I hope they release what they have of the movie, or someone leaks it. You can't have worked on it for 7 years and not have more than the teaser. It feels like MAPPA doesn't respect YOI for making it the studio it is today, just because it didn't make as much money as later shows (duh it wouldn't).
I hope the zombieland saga movie doesn't share this fate too
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I think most diehard YoI fans already knew this, deep down. It's kinda rare to get a straightforward cancellation notice, I guess Ohtsuka got fed up of people asking about one of the shows that made his studio massively successful.

It's probably not gonna happen but I hope we get some staff insider to reveal what in the world happened in that production, because I can not fathom having a golden egg goose and then putting it in a freezer to die. It's also probably not gonna happen but with this door officially closed i wonder if maybe a couple of years from now, a different production committe will try to revive this franchise. Maybe for the 10th anniversary, which is, horrifyingly, only two years away.

If nothing else, I hope Sayo Yamamoto is now free to work in other projects. It's kind of criminal that she's been chained down to whatever was happening in that studio for almost 8 years

I think they announced the movie way too soon. ANN previously reported in April 2020, Mitsurou Kubo was still in the process of writing the story. animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2020-04-24/yuri-on-ice-mitsurou-kubo-says-she-still-working-on-the-film-from-home/.158928

The movie was originally announced for 2019, if they were still not at a written plot stage in 2020, it suggest to me that there were creative difficulties with the premise.

The other statement in 2020 about scaling up the scope, just makes me wonder if they really should have just done an bonus episode/ova instead of a movie.
takobocchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
My initial assumption is that MAPPA had more going than it could handle and something less lucrative got left as a "when we get around to it" project. Then again, flat out canceling something they were contracted to make probably comes with some penalties.
Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Discrimination and hate always overflows to the people at the bottom even if its aimed squarely at people at the top. Back in 2001 it was anti-Muslim sentiment and today it's anti-Jewish sentiment. Back when the Russian-Ukraine war kicked off we saw Russian-made products being dropped from stores or outright destroyed. Russian athletes, music, and films were banned internationally. Even long dead famous people like Tchaikovsky or Gagarin were essentially un-personed and had their legacies erased and scrubbed from history due to their heritage. Even EA of all companies removed Russian teams and clubs from their sports games at the time. I have no idea if it's still that bad these days or it's been overshadowed by other current events but there was a lot of discrimination going on at the time.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am Reply with quote
Very sad news. I still hope that the movie will re leased in future!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
A true shame that such a beloved anime property will not be continued. I also feel bad for Sayo Yamamoto.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 am Reply with quote
Blue Senpai wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Discrimination and hate always overflows to the people at the bottom even if its aimed squarely at people at the top. Back in 2001 it was anti-Muslim sentiment and today it's anti-Jewish sentiment. Back when the Russian-Ukraine war kicked off we saw Russian-made products being dropped from stores or outright destroyed. Russian athletes, music, and films were banned internationally. Even long dead famous people like Tchaikovsky or Gagarin were essentially un-personed and had their legacies erased and scrubbed from history due to their heritage. Even EA of all companies removed Russian teams and clubs from their sports games at the time. I have no idea if it's still that bad these days or it's been overshadowed by other current events but there was a lot of discrimination going on at the time.

You know what I would say to those Russians feeling discriminated against? Boo hooo. Why don't they go and listen to actual Ukranians who don't know if they will live the next time an air raid happens.

No Yuri On Ice did not get cancelled because of Russia or any Russia related scandal or travesty that they care to be involved in. Yuri on Ice got cancelled because MAPPA dragged their feet for 7 years and did nothing with (at the time), their most prominant original IP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5