• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz announces SaiKano anime, manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Arxane, what's this about different divisions at Ocean? I'm curious.

Ocean is divided into two different studios: Westwood Studios, which is (I believe) located in Canada, and Blue Water Studios, located (again, I believe) somewhere in the US.

Westwood Studios consists of the more well-known Ocean actors such as Scott McNeil, Richard Cox, Kelly Sheridan, etc. Blue Water Studios is made up of lesser-known VAs such as Mark Gatha, Jennifer Holder, etc. This is why you'll often see several anime dubbed by Ocean but you won't hear the same voice actors. For example, you won't hear Westwood VAs in "G-Gundam", nor will you hear Blue Water VAs in "Inuyasha". Also, if you'll take a look at "Zeta-Gundam" in the ANN Encyclopedia, you'll notice that the dubbing studio is Ocean, and yet the Ocean VAs from "Mobile Suit Gundam" haven't reprised their original roles. This is because "Zeta-Gundam" is being dubbed by the Blue Water Branch of Ocean, not the Westwood Branch.

From what I've heard, the Ocean Group once consisted only of the Westwood branch and was considered a cheap alternative dubbing studio for anime distributors. But once Westwood grew to be quite popular (and thus, more expensive), Blue Water Studios was created to be the cheap alternative dubbing studio. (Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong).

EDIT: I've now noticed that Viz used the Blue Water branch of Ocean for the "Ceres" dub, which I guess explains why it was so awful (I've yet to listen to a Blue Water dub I like). I'll just pray that Viz gives this to Westwood instead of Blue Water, but seeing that Viz has been working only with Westwood recently, that's probably what will happen.
Tamakun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm quite happy that Viz finally announced it. Anime smile I'm with ya, Sakechan. It's been far too long for this to be announced. Anime smile

Now, the waiting begins...
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I am really happy that this is getting liscensed. This show is truly excellent. One of the more emotional series I have seen.
animaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I love this series seen half the anime and 2 manga love it wanna finish hurry viz and do a good job! viz would be honestly my second guess./choice I expected and kinda wanted adv but this is fine could be now that I think about it a good thing and I'm happy with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drakh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Arxane, what's this about different divisions at Ocean? I'm curious.

I think this link explains it best:

http://www.crystalacids.com/database/recordstudio/oceangroup.html

Ocean currently uses 3 studios to record the dubs. One of them, Blue Water, is located in another city, and uses cheaper (non-union), less experienced voice actors. They inital dubs were pretty awful, though I do think they've been improving.
drakh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:47 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Ocean is divided into two different studios: Westwood Studios, which is (I believe) located in Canada, and Blue Water Studios, located (again, I believe) somewhere in the US.

Uhh... no. The Ocean Group owns and operates Ocean Studios in Vancouver, Canada. As their workload increased, they started hireing outside studios for additional recording (Westwood in Vancouver and Blue Water in Calgary, Canada).

Quote:
Westwood Studios consists of the more well-known Ocean actors

Studios don't "consist of" any actors. VAs are all freelancers and hired by the studio on a project to project basis. Of course, studios tend to use certain VAs since they know the person is reliable.

Quote:
From what I've heard, the Ocean Group once consisted only of the Westwood branch and was considered a cheap alternative dubbing studio for anime distributors.

Hardly. When it comes to dubbing, it doesn't get any cheaper then doing it non-union in your home town, though of course, a studio can always cut costs by rushing the production or using smaller casts.
Anti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Finally!

I've seen a couple of the episodes, and I love this series, I can't wait for this to be released, I hope the dub is good.

Hikaru no Go and now SaiKano, Viz is doing pretty good in my book.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:12 pm Reply with quote
oh man i think i just scared my mom Litarly let out a loud "FINNALY ABOUT F***** TIME"

This news just made my day.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Minoru-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think Ocean can do a pretty good job, but I guess I've liked their previous work better then most other people have.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how there going to handle all the sex in the Manga compared to the Anime probly shrink wrap it I guess like Tokyo pop does. Its just Market suicide to edit things anymore espcilly when it comes to Saikano.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:15 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I wonder how there going to handle all the sex in the Manga compared to the Anime

This being Viz, they might just play it straight and chalk anything that comes up to it being "literature" rather than mere comics; with titles like Adolf and Uzumaki under their belt, I don't think this would pose a problem...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know Ocean is a very reasonable studio that has turned in some great performances before. It's just that they've always seemed a bit spotty to me. (Ocean Lag anyone?)

But, even still, I cannot recall Viz putting out an inferior product. They are one of the more reliable studios, in my eyes, and I am waiting with bated breath for this release.
Darko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:31 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Yay for Viz. This is definitely a good move for them.

Now, please let's not send it to Ocean for dubbing. Ocean is okay most of the time, but this dub needs to be one of those dubs that'll stay in people's memories for a long while.

so, if that is true, I wont listen de english dub, I prefer the original japanese dub, I hate the english Twisted Evil (thaks to god for the other dvd options).

Jya
rektagunn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:41 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Aaron White wrote:
According to the ANN Encyclopedia, Ocean Group is already slated to do the dub. Sorry Craeyst.

oh dear god! i can just imagine them using the same lady who did Lafiel's voice to do Chise LOL.

heyyyyyy....I kinda like the Lafiel dub. I admit she sounded a bit weird the first time around, but then I got hooked somehow, maybe it's coz I've never heard that kind of female dub voice before (definitely different from the generic high-pitched anime girl voice out there)...

As for Saikano, hooooooraaaaayyyy!!.....I wonder if Viz just got the license, or if they had the license for a long time (rumor has it that somebody had the license to Saikano as early as 2001 or 2002 I think) and they just decided to announce it now........if Viz had it for a while, what took them so long??

ahhhh...mere speculations anyway, who cares?.....it's licensed so yaaaaay! Very Happy
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:32 am Reply with quote
I could care less about which division of Ocean Studios dubs SaiKano. Be glad that Viz is not having it dubbed in the Philippines by Telesuccess Productions (just like Great Dangaioh and Corrector Yui).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3