• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
accessing encyclopedia in machine-parsable format?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amgb2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Is there any way to access the contents of the encyclopedia except as HTML pages? I'm interested in doing some computer analysis of some of the information but parsing the HTML is looking impossible. I know some online databases (such as IMDB) have a facility where you can download their data files in raw form and I was wondering if ANN had anything similar.
ranivus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Hey i was having the EXACT same problem as you did... dont worry about having to write in HTML if you have IE 7 or Firefox 2 then just go to
Searchy Search Dot com

http://searchy.protecus.de/en/searchbox-add-ons.php?sort=newest

and make your own, but its probably easier to just use mine since its exactly what you're asking for.

Its labeled "ANN encyclopedia" and should be in the Newly posted page, if not it'll be in the alphabetical page.

ALSO i made a cool search engine that automatically translates any japanese website to english (translation is not perfect but helps immensely). That one is called "Google Web Translator JAP2ENG"

i hope they help!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
amgb2 wrote:
Is there any way to access the contents of the encyclopedia except as HTML pages? I'm interested in doing some computer analysis of some of the information but parsing the HTML is looking impossible. I know some online databases (such as IMDB) have a facility where you can download their data files in raw form and I was wondering if ANN had anything similar.

Ahh, sorry, I thought I had already answered this question.

Currently there is no such feature at ANN, although it's an interesting idea that we might want to add in the future.

If you want to e-mail me a detailed explanation of what you want to do, and how you would like the data, I might be able to help you, but I honestly doubt it.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1