• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
I just wish we could take her underwear off. I was checking a website that modified figures and posted it, and I became really interested - except my painting skills are complete crap.

I'm kinda annoyed with Ami Ami though. They should have already contacted me about Tamaki. In fact, they should have contacted me about this event. What they did was explain the situation through paypal refund - I never in fact got their email.

Hmm. Anyway, Mandarake already shipped my figures. For a total of 11250. 3250 yen to ship 2 x 23cms figures through EMS, not bad. In a normal store like Ami Ami I would've paid about that much for the figures alone.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I just wish we could take her underwear off.

If only I had a shekel for every time you say that... Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote
Notice to Strike Witches fans:
Minna has a figure (Alter)

Preorder safely. Friends don't let friends order on credit.

Also, isn't it about time this thread is stickied?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure egoist has already "stickied" this thread several times - probably without even buying it a drink, first. Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm pretty sure egoist has already...

BUCKET. NOW.

At any rate, an interesting thing happened today. My order from RACS came in two separate shipments, one of them from Amazon. Weird. I've never seen this before.

I had figured there was a backlog because I didn't receive a shipping notice, so I was quite surprised to see them.

Not that I'm complaining. 4 new figures now adorn my family room.

Ugh. I need shelving ASAP.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
For all my complaints about the difficulty of swapping hands/heads on these SAS figures (though admittedly, the latest ones have proven easier than that first one) I still keep buying them. This week:

SAS Jotaro Kujo and Dio Brando (both Hirohiko Araki-specified color versions):

Both come with quite a few extras. Jotaro has the usual hands, plus a pair so he can touch his hat brim, and a pair of "nub" hands to go with his swappable "pocket" thighs so his hands can be put in his pocket(s). Besides the expected spare head he also has two spare black-capped heads, presumably for the earlier (black-uniform) version which must not have had spares like the newer figures do. Dio comes prepared to fight-- with hand(s)ful of knives, or perfectly sculpted hands so he can hold one tiny, individual knife (he comes with 6) ready to throw. Or the totally awesome traffic sign, with which he tries to murder Jotaro.

Oh yeah-- We all knew this was coming, right? Anime smallmouth

Also newly arrived is the Chozo Art Collection Jotaro Kujo, blue version, which I backordered from AmiAmi (so glad I did, looking at his going price on eBay):

He's about 5.5 inches tall and all gorgeous.

I LOVE HIM.

Anyway, like a number of you I'm also looking for decent glass shelving/cases. The curio cabinet I got late last year (and didn't assemble until, oh, February) was a nightmare to put together.* I hear Ikea has some pretty nice glass shelves but I don't have a local store (the closest is Chicago) and that means paying for shipping. Yikes.

*[Ended up requiring 3 people and NOT following the worthless instructions, which I'm pretty sure were written by someone imagining how this would work in zero gravity with twenty assistants, not someone who actually tried this in real life (where 4 separate things won't just magically float in place as you turn the screws). And it ended up that a piece of the glass door was mismeasured by the manufacturer by 1/8 of an inch. I could've screamed (in fact I think I did). So if I want to mount that door I have to take it into a glasscutter's and have it fixed. I will never buy this (relatively) cheap assemble-yourself International Concepts crap furniture again, or at least nothing more complex than a basic open book/media shelf.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
Give up on Tamaki. Turns out it disappeared from my order at Ami Ami, and I decided that I would just ignore it this time.

On the positive side, my 2 figures arrived from Mandarake a few days ago. But as always, I'm just too lazy to unpack them straight away.

I can clearly see why I want to avoid swimsuits. If I had too many in my collection they'd just become plain.

And this is what I'm currently after. If it goes well I'll get it for around 100 euros after shipping.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'm getting a little cheesed with HLJ. I ordered four figures from them earlier in the week, all of which were listed as being in stock. Got the confirmation email on Wednesday that the order was being processed and nada since then. Seriously, how long does it take to collect four in stock items together and ship them out?

By way of contrast, AmiAmi confirmed my order for Tamaki (the one that poor old egoist is missing out on) on Friday night and had it shipped out by early the following Monday morning.

HLJ, in the future, do like AmiAmi, mmmkay?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not actually feeling that bad in regards to Tamaki. Ami Ami will most likely get it in stock eventually, but I still don't think I'd go for it. Dunno, but after the deal with Ami Ami I simply lost the desire to own it.

Anyway, bloody Saber Lily went out of stock as soon as I ordered it. LOL. I dunno if someone ordered it while the site was down for me whenever I signed in, or if they just noticed it was out of stock when I finally reached the final "confirm" button and got stuck in the page. Either way, went to Ebay and got it for 8 Euros more. Hope it comes with a French bread. Now if they (Good Smile) just make that Saber Extra.

Damn Euro. I liked you when you were down there with the Dollar. But now you're such a currency whore.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know anything about this Azusa figure? I've been looking around for him, as it says he's exclusive, but I can't seem to find anywhere that has him. Do you think he would be a store or event pickup only?

Edit - Nevermind, found him! ^^

Last edited by kimbeey13 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Seriously, how long does it take to collect four in stock items together and ship them out?

2-3 weeks, and this is fast. It could take as long as 6 weeks.

Part of the reason: not in stock.

Remember my beef a while ago about stores who offer stuff not on hand? HLJ is one of the most notorious.

Don't be surprised if you receive the dreaded "We lied to your face, but here's our apology." email.

I will only shop HLJ as one of my last resorts.

FYI: When your order ships, rarely does the payment clear. If you're on CC, no worries, but for us who charge directly from our accounts, this is a major pain.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
I have a quick question. For those of you how use amiami when it says the item will be available later in the month is it usually within the last two weeks of the month or the last week? Just trying to keep my funds in check.

On a side-note, I just preorder this Mugi figure by Max Factory. Hopefully, she's as sweet as she looks!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
@ PJ - I only have one other experience ordering in stock items from HLJ and because I keep all my emails I was able to go back and check the info. I placed an order for four in stock figures on Jan. 06 of this year and got a shipping confirmation for those figures...

...12 days later. Confused

Yeah, guess I'll have to be patient with these folks.

eta: was going through emails and saw that I actually had a second in stock order from HLJ. That time, got the order confirmation email on Jan. 30 and the shipping notification email on Feb. 04. That's more like it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
They finally release a Puella Magi figure, and it's this. What the hell is that? I don't want a 14-year-old-that-looks-10 in a swimsuit, I want them in their magical girl outfits because they are, you know, magical girls. RAWR Evil or Very Mad

THERE'S NOT EVEN A BEACH EPISODE!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
That's Wave's Beach Queen line. You won't get anything else from them. That line is really not worth the trouble. I prefer buying the prize figures Sega makes which usually costs 3-4 times less and has about the same quality.

I bet it'll sell really well, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 111