• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I ordered the Kurisu Makise figma that just came out this week. (Got the last one in stock over at Amiami last time I checked)

All photos I took are right over here (sorry that my camera sucks)

Ok before I talk about the good things I have to point out some major things that might turn you off from buying.

1. The peg to put her on the stand, is on her back like you have to lift her hair up in order to get it on the stand. So the only pose you can make is her staring down or turning her head a little.

2. Do to this it is really hard to pose her on the stand. Like feet on the ground wise.

3. She comes with an extra set of arms to do a folded over pose. These might be hard to get on and off and if you don't put them on right it looks bad.

Now on to whats good about this figure.

1. For a figma she's very well made, the paint job on the hair and faces are some of the best I've seen in the figma lines.

2. All the joints move really well, nothing is really out of place, the only down side is due to the coat you might find it a bit hard to move the legs backwards.

3. She comes with a boat lot of extra parts. an extra set of arms, a cell phone, a bottle of dr. pepper, the lightsaber she uses in the Nitro+ fighting game along with a lot of other hands you can swap out. Plus the two different faces.

4. You can have her pose like the $100 figure though it might be a little hard. Just build your self a nice stand and you'll be set lol.

Ok #4 is kinda a joke but I know some ones going to try and do that.

Over all she's a really nice figma, but the downsides to trying to pose her on the stand might turn a lot of people off. Maybe if they ever re-release this they'll put the peg lower so the hair problem isn't so bad.

If you like Steins;Gate You'll like this figure. Sadly you're going to have to wait a few weeks to get it. HLJ stopped carrying the figure last week, and Amiami is on temp sold out status still.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
My payment issue has been resolved, and my first ever figures should be on there way! YAY! Paypal's converter isn't as accurate as Yahoo's, so I paid a couple cents more, but that's no sweat. And I now have a baseline for nendoroid shipping at a little less than 745 yen since both shipped for 1490.

I setup my shelves that I plan to use for figures yesterday, and so there place is prepared (at least until the DVD/BD set is released, then they'll go in my planned PSG shrine).

egoist wrote:
Still not nearly as passionate as I were though. There's this box lying unopened there for like 2 weeks now.

Am I wrong in thinking your interest in anime in general is waning? It just that you don't post as often as you used to, and when you do you're not as weird as usual. Maybe you're just not drinking/drunk posting as much as you used to?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
No, I've been drinking too much lately. Though I'm giving it a 6 month break before it becomes a train wreck. Laughing
It usually takes a while for my habits to come back when I do that. Wink

As for anime, I'm still watching a lot. I'd say because of Detective Conan I completely lost interest in figures at that time. I'm at episode 450, but now that I slowed down and start focusing more on other anime my interest slowly crawled back. Lol, simplistic.

Well, as long as I like anime girls more than fake girls in the human realm everything will be fine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Well, as long as I like anime girls more than fake girls in the human realm everything will be fine.

Ah, The World Egoist Only Knows, eh?

Anyway, looks like I was wrong about Goth-Loli Ryomou being delayed a third time - got a shipping notice from HLJ this morning.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Through the website I shall not name to reduce competition, I've acquired a trading figure of Wirhelmina (Shakugan no Shana) and a figma KagaMiku (Lucky Star crossover with Yamaha idol) for $30 incl. shipping.

This is the same site I forgot to check daily for a bit and lost out on a Holo figure. From the Good Smile Company. For $25. In a sealed box. Shipping at $7.

You know, the one which can only be found for over $200 everywhere else?

See, that's why I'm typing standing up.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
So, I was looking through some of my RSS feeds on Google Reader and saw some interesting figures that have been announced.

First, we have a long awaited Infinite Stratos Charlotte Dunois figure. You can check it out and pre-order here.

Next up is a very NSFW figure Freezing figure of Ingrid Bernstein. It is pretty "big" at a 1/4 scale. You can check it out and pre-order here.

There are more preview images of Ingrid here. Before, you click on that very NSFW link to Sankaku Complex, make sure you have Adblock Plus installed if you are using Firefox.

They both look nice but I must resist. Maybe not Charlotte because she is Charlotte.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that Ingrid looks worse than I thought. Her anime role was pretty forgettable but her design was quite charming, though that figure doesn't have said charm.

Not bad as a figure, but really bad as an adapted form.

If you're linking images try using MFC. Same images there, but with compressed info.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip. I will keep MFC in mind for preview images when I see new figure announcements.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I think all that Ingrid figure is missing is a pillow, honestly. It looks so strange to be in a "lay on couch" position, but to not be on a couch. I think if you could stitch up a little pillow-thing, it'd be pretty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
This week:

The JoJo's... Part IV Star Platinum SAS [Medicos]:

Much purpler than the Part 3 incarnation and with a different face sculpt to reflect Araki's ever-evolving artwork. Again, as a new SAS he doesn't have the issue of the impossible-to-swap alternate hands/head. I'm satisfied now that Medicos has resolved that issue.

Another nice touch that I noticed: He can pretty much stand en pointe, unlike past SAS figures' feet whose backward range was restricted by the sculpt around their ankles.

...And... oh man.
Statue Legend Shadow Dio [Di molto bene]:
(The line around his neck in that last pic is quite deliberate, i.e. not a manufacturing seam.)

He's just smashing. I love the pose, the costume (or rather lack of it), and I love the little details:

...like the Joestar mark, the definite smirk, the actual holes in his strappy belt/suspender get-up.

Damn, I'm so happy with him. He'll look perfect prancing past his righthand man from last month.

Next issue: How badly I want this LE Jotaro RAH and what would I be willing to do (or conversely sacrifice) to get it. At what price love? How about $300+?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
poonk, I'm really curious as to what your Jojo collection looks like altogether. You know what you should do? Get all your Jojo's together and put them together in a big group circle. Then you get a female figure (or your most feminine male if you don't have a female) or 3 and then put them in middle of it. It would then look like one, huge Chippendale party. I mean, the Jojo's are already sexy and shirtless, so they fit the part perfectly.

mmch mmch mmch mmch mmch mmch

That aside, this pretty sweet Nami figure went up for sale (and is already OOS) and I must admit, I'm thinking about giving One Piece another chance. I've always loved the way the females look in that show spoiler[THE BOOBS], and this certainly shows why spoiler[THE BIG BOOBS].
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
mmch mmch mmch mmch mmch mmch
Are you, sir, implying by these sound effects that they would eat my ladies?!*

Actually, cannibalism may be one of the less crazy/gruesome and more merciful possible fates for someone in the midst of that group of men.

*[My only 3 ladies are small(er) trading figures: Rurouni Kenshin's Kaoru, Gintama's Kagura, and Kuroshitsuji's "Princess Robin" (honorary). They wouldn't stand a chance, the poor dears.]

Quote:
poonk, I'm really curious as to what your Jojo collection looks like altogether.
I have thought about doing this and sending the pic to the Anime World Order folks to show them what they hath wrought, as the reason I became interested in JJBA in the first place was how enthusiastic they were about the title in their OVA/manga reviews of the first 4 parts (here, here, here, and here). But then I inevitably decide I may as well wait until the next thing I've ordered arrives-- and the cycle begins again the next month (it's the same reason I've never gotten around to submitting a Shelf Life pic-- it'll be outdated within the week, so I keep postponing it).

P.S. :
The King of Harts wrote:
So here's a question: When will I be contacted to pay for figures?
I know you said you've already resolved this but I was wondering if AmiAmi eventually did email you or if you had to contact them instead-- because the first time I ordered from AmiAmi I didn't get my "Pay Now" notification (though I saw that my item had been released and was "in-stock") and had to contact them asking what was up. It turned out they had known email blockage issues with certain domains (listed on this page). The one I use (yahoo) was resolved and I've had no issues since but there are still others that remain problematic.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are you, sir, implying by these sound effects that they would eat my ladies?!

It was supposed to be the Party Boy theme song. People make that "mmch" sound with their mouth/throat and, you know, Party Boy it up. At least, that's what we did when I was younger.

I'm serious, you have some serious comedic potential with a bunch of half naked dudes in skimpy trousers, especially if you were to use the Party Boy theme song. Like, string together a bunch of still photos, put the song behind them, upload that sucker to Youtube, ????, and then profit.

Quote:
I know you said you've already resolved this but I was wondering if AmiAmi eventually did email you or if you had to contact them instead-- because the first time I ordered from AmiAmi I didn't get my "Pay Now" notification (though I saw that my item had been released and was "in-stock") and had to contact them asking what was up. It turned out they had known email blockage issues with certain domains (listed on this page). The one I use (yahoo) was resolved and I've had no issues since but there are still others that remain problematic.

I had to contact them. The Rep said I was sent a notice on the 24th (when they were released), but I must've accidentally deleted it. They sent another immediately with their reply, so it was smooth. I had actually ordered from them before when I got my PSG Tissue Box Cover and had no problem, so I think this was completely a goof on my side.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
A while back I expressed an interest in seeing some pix of Alan45's Major Kusanagi figure collection. He recently obliged me and asked me to host the pix for him here. Not quite sure I can pull this off, but here goes:

Well that seemed to work - Thanks, Alan45!
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Hey, they make figures that are not of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! Who knew?!

Anyway, the third in the series, Movic's Hakuouki - Hijikata Toshizou 1/10 figure, finally arrived, having been preordered back in early December:

(Actually he showed up about a week ago but I didn't open him until today because I have nowhere to put him. I think when you start just leaving figures in their boxes is when you have a problem.*)

He completes the set of 3 Hakuouki boys (which includes Saitou Hajime and Okita Souji). I really should watch this anime one of these days. I only got ~3-4 episodes in before... indefinitely pausing. The thing is, I think it would've been more interesting if they just left the heroine out completely and just let the Shinsengumi do stuff and look cool. Everyone knows these shows are less about plot and more about selling bishonen merchandise, so why bother?

So of course he's beautiful but I can't help but feel, looking at him that Souji was just a cooler figure all-around. I think it's the unusual pose-- or maybe the peek-a-boo open front of his costume (or both). Well, whatever-- I'm just happy to have the set.

As for last week's lusted-after Limited Edition Jojo's Part 6 Jotaro RAH-- $700 of car repairs later, I realized we were not meant to be. Crying or Very sad God, I hate it when real life interferes with my hobbies.

*[This is of course presuming you're not just buying speculatively for future resale, or one of those strange (imo) folks who-- gasp!-- just display stacks of boxes.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 111