• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Growth Continues in 2003

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Jakala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:18 am Reply with quote
ICv2 has an article up stating that manga is set to explode in 2003 due to projections that "over 700 new manga trade paperback editions will appear in the U.S. in 2003."

Better start budgeting. Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:25 pm Reply with quote
John Jakala wrote:
ICv2 has an article up stating that manga is set to explode in 2003 due to projections that "over 700 new manga trade paperback editions will appear in the U.S. in 2003."

Better start budgeting. Wink

Interesting, I was just thinking along those very same lines last night. Manga was a $50m (retail sales) industry in 2002, I epxect 2003 to double that.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:50 pm Reply with quote
is this a good thing or a bad thing?

pros: more Manga will be released here.

cons: people will try to get in on the money making.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:54 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
is this a good thing or a bad thing?

pros: more Manga will be released here.

cons: people will try to get in on the money making.

It's been my experience that everytime people "try to get in on the money making," they do a really nice job of it. Everyone seems to have their own opinion that "hey, if they can do it, we can too. In fact, we'll make a stand in the market by doing this, this, and this, to really blow fans off their feet."

I'm all for some healthy capitalist competition. Very Happy
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if everyone gets on the money making bandwagon the prices for manga will go down...we can only hope.
FallenAngelFish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well on one hand I can defintiely see the plus side, I mean, come on, more manga! Yay! But one of the reasons I like manga so much is how personal it feels, it's something that someone has put a lot of time and effort into and a lot of that shows through in the artists work. With some stories you can really feel the emotion involved and you really start to care for the characters because the author does. If a lot of companies are just trying to make money a lot of the feeling may be lost in the process to just turn out a product. I don't really like the thought of that. I would want someone to take a lot of time and consideration in the process of bringing stuff over and to stay true to the creators intent.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah hopefully when more companys in the mix prices will get cheaper course its is cheaper then it was a couple years ago. Then theres that rumor of VIZ rerealsing there older titles unflipped for 8 bucks a pop.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
billslates

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:10 am Reply with quote
Viz manga are $8 a pop for a smaller size! This really has me excited. With all of the resources Viz has, a lot of companies might lower their prices too(competition is always good, especially when Viz starts a link in the chain). Personally, I hope that manga becomes slipjacketed soon(like in Japanese Manga and sorta like in the Megatokyo graphic novel). That way, its a bit better to preserve the quality. I'm not really a collecter, but a graphic novel with a slipjacket looks a lot cooler than a graphic novel without one.
Also, i'm not sure, but subscribers of Shonen Jump should look out for issue 5. I've heard there's something REALLY kickass there for subscribers.
Asano Rain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:01 am Reply with quote
Ah yes... slipcovers. Such a simple thing and yet just another reason why I like buying manga in original Japanese (even though I understand only about 40-45% of it, most of the time).

I remember Tokyopop released a special "collector's edition" of Wish vol. 1 [CLAMP] with a slipcover... but they never released the other volumes with a slipcover after that. So my friend has Wish 1 with a slipcover and 2-4 don't have one. A bit strange...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1