• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
rosebowl89 wrote:
Keep in mind that all those side stories were written well after the main story.

However, to not adjust the anime to reflect that the side stories would be appearing before, rather than after, was just lazy.
rosebowl89

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
rosebowl89 wrote:
Keep in mind that all those side stories were written well after the main story.

However, to not adjust the anime to reflect that the side stories would be appearing before, rather than after, was just lazy.

They actually did adjust the anime by having Lisbeth make an appearance in the last episode when at this point in time in the writing of the story her character didn't even exist.

I've just never seen so much criticism for something that was literally only on screen for 5 seconds. (especially when that thing is described as working every 10 seconds)
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

CHAPTER 16.5, GUYS! CHAPTER 16.5!

spoiler[TWO. YEARS. OF. SEMEN. GLOPPED. ENDLESSLY. INTO. ASUNA.]

I was really disappointed to see Chapter 16.5 cut short.

Other than that, I don't really find the romance to be believable. I can't see much of a reason for Asuna and Kirito to be together and it just feels forced to me. I can not see them as love interests but just good friends.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

spoiler[Kirito vs Heathcliff!
I was kinda surprised he would fight to free Asuna..
It was a great fight, but Kirito really did himself in with this decision.
Looks like that psycho Kuradeel was so not over Asuna.
That was an extremely close call for Kirito.
Well, at least Asuna - Kirito relationship is developing nicely.
The lets get married part left me just gaping...]
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Episode 10

CHAPTER 16.5, GUYS! CHAPTER 16.5!

spoiler[TWO. YEARS. OF. SEMEN. GLOPPED. ENDLESSLY. INTO. ASUNA.]

I was really disappointed to see Chapter 16.5 cut short.

Other than that, I don't really find the romance to be believable. I can't see much of a reason for Asuna and Kirito to be together and it just feels forced to me. I can not see them as love interests but just good friends.

...it was cut from the published novels, so why wouldn't it be cut from the anime? People make way too big a deal out of that.

Agreed that the relationship isn't very natural though. Way too much development of it has to be assumed to occur offscreen.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes, a lot of the relationship is assumed. spoiler[But they've actually known each other and worked closely together on the front lines for 2 years. That's a lot of time to get to know someone. It's only escalated recently when he found the rabbit meat.]

I would say though that the lack of depth around their relationship is still something that chaffed me about the LNs as well. But you have to also understand the constraints the author was under as well. LNs in order to be considered for certain awards are written to tight constaints in terms of size. He explained that in one of the author notes actually.

But also, I get the strong feeling he didn't feel up to the task of trying to write a large novel. Who knows.

What I would say is that the anime has been faithful to the LN, for better or worse.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I've said it before, but I really wish the anime had aspired to be more than just a fairly straight adaption of the Light Novels. The first novel was written under some specific constraints that resulted in a huge time gap that was only partially filled in later by side stories, and so there was a lot of potential to expand and develop the world further, using the basic framework provided. The anime could (and should) have done this, and given more development to the Kirito/Asuna relationship. Rather than us just having to assume things about events that occurred over the last two years, actually show us them.

Still, for what it is, I don't mind it, even if it does feel a bit rushed like several parts of the show.

As for episode 10... spoiler[I was pleased that for once Kirito was totally helpless. When he tried to remove the sword even though he was paralyzed, I was all "oh come on," so I was glad to see him fail and have to be saved by Asuna. So I was then disappointed when Asuna didn't kill whatever his name was, and Kirito stepped in. I don't mind Asuna hesitating to or being unable to kill someone begging for his life, even though he was a murderer, but I didn't want to have Kirito rescue her so soon after she saved him, as it was nice seeing Kirito being the one saved for once. Ah well.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Wait, spoiler[so is Kirito considered a pker/killer now considering that he killed him this episode] Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Wait, spoiler[so is Kirito considered a pker/killer now considering that he killed him this episode] Question

I don't think so.
spoiler[
Kuradeel had just killed Godfrey, so he would have red status, which I believe means he could be attacked and even killed without penalty to the one doing so.]
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

spoiler[The whole point of the green/orange marker system is that you don't turn orange for self-defense or defense of others (ie: attacking someone who's already marked orange). It's to mark aggressors. So neither Asuna or Kirito would have any change of marker status after this event.

More "philosophically" though, Kirito did indeed kill a man. In self defense, and the guy might have deserved it, but technically he is a PK and in classic brooding hero tradition he'll probably blame himself for it.]

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. When in doubt, use 'em. - Key]

Last edited by Clarste on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

No, the other guy was orange and, like in most MMOs, it doesn't count.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

No, spoiler[Kuradeel said that to spite Kirito and make him look guilty which it failed since Kirito didn't care what he said.]
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
It just seems like every second Asuna is on screen she is getting nerfed further from a badass and into a housewife. spoiler[Last couple eps she's shown us just how useful she is in the kitchen, had her honour defended by trenchcoat hunk, cried like a girly girl on his shoulders for like 5 mins straight after having her ass saved by him, and quit that prestigious guild to be at her man's beckon call.]

I'm not trolling here, but I honestly think this is a straight up terrible show. It's cheesy without being really fun, it's self serious without being remotely poignant. The design of the world feels super generic and without any distinctive visual features it can truly claim its own.

I feel like my main enjoyment of this show is the catharsis of being really annoyed by it.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:
It just seems like every second Asuna is on screen she is getting nerfed further from a badass and into a housewife. spoiler[Last couple eps she's shown us just how useful she is in the kitchen, had her honour defended by trenchcoat hunk, cried like a girly girl on his shoulders for like 5 mins straight after having her ass saved by him, and quit that prestigious guild to be at her man's beckon call.]

I'm not trolling here, but I honestly think this is a straight up terrible show. It's cheesy without being really fun, it's self serious without being remotely poignant. The design of the world feels super generic and without any distinctive visual features it can truly claim its own.

I feel like my main enjoyment of this show is the catharsis of being really annoyed by it.

I completely agree with everything you said, and that last bit there is probably why I continue to watch it.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:

...did you somehow miss the part where she was already trying to take a break from the guild? And spoiler[she was crying because she (indirectly) put his life in danger, which is fundamentally different from "I just got saved" crying. Ignoring the fact that she herself saved him less than 5 minutes earlier.]

I won't say you have to like the show, and frankly it's not that well made in the first place (just look at the animation!), but when your complaints don't actually make any sense and imply you were deliberately not paying attention...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 274