• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psycho-Pass episodes 1 - 11 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Viewers should be warned of scenes in episode eleven given the recent tragedy in Connecticut.

Really?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Gasero wrote:
Viewers should be warned of scenes in episode eleven given the recent tragedy in Connecticut.

Really?

Yes, really. Rolling Eyes

The episode features a spoiler[grown man hunting down a cop] which may trigger memories or fears of spoiler[children being "hunt" by a 20 year old man.] People who are particularly sensitive from the recent tragedy may not want to relive those moments.

While I still appreciate the philological banter in Psycho;Pass, it mainly serves as conversation starter rather as "natural" dialogue amongst people. While the episode where Kogami introduces Akane to his mentor to learn more about profiling (in fact, the conversation about charisma sort of feels like foreshadowing), any other time, it seems like Gen wants to show off his intellect. Other than Ko and Akane, the other officers don't really grow out of their respective troupes. And the "big reveal" about spoiler[Makisama] doesn't come off as clever as it should since the very first episode already revealed that "twist". All in all, the show is interesting to watch but it's pretty average so far.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Gasero wrote:

Really?

Gasero didn't say that, the review did.

I too found it odd. Two reasons. In a few months time the Connecticut comment will not be relevant anymore - a new shooting will take its place before long. Secondly, what happened in episode eleven was completely different from what happened in Connecticut. If you are so obnoxiously sensitive that you'd have an issue with gruesome (but off-screen) violence just because of what happened in Connecticut then you really shouldn't be watching a huge chunk of Anime in the first place.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
I think the show's somewhat interesting, but "the system is wrong and we'll have to do without it...DYSTOOOPIAAAAA" science fiction aren't my bag. I'll finish it, but it's no masterwork of writing, and certainly not in visuals.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
The episode features a spoiler[grown man hunting down a cop] which may trigger memories or fears of spoiler[children being "hunt" by a 20 year old man.] People who are particularly sensitive from the recent tragedy may not want to relive those moments.

I think "hunt" might be a bit of an exaggeration in the latter case. I do know what you guys mean, though - I violently dry-retched while reading Cardcaptor Sakura recently when the Earthy card caused an earthquake. It reminded me too much of another incident where a natural disaster affected Japan (obviously the 2011 tsunami - caused by an earthquake for double damage).
Still, I don't see how that's a mark against the series itself.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
After what happened in Episode 11, this is the point where I'll really judge Psycho Pass in how they handle Akane. Don't let me down, series! On another note someone posted character outlines for episode 12 here which shows we may get a flashback episode or arc, and Yayoi may take center stage.

http://postimage.org/image/tgf2e5hsz/

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

I think "hunt" might be a bit of an exaggeration in the latter case. I do know what you guys mean, though - I violently dry-retched while reading Cardcaptor Sakura recently when the Earthy card caused an earthquake. It reminded me too much of another incident where a natural disaster affected Japan (obviously the 2011 tsunami - caused by an earthquake for double damage).
Still, I don't see how that's a mark against the series itself.

A similar thing happened to me while "trying" to watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Granted, I saw the show in January long before the March tsunami but just thinking about it now makes me uncomfortable. As for the "hunt" comment, it was meant as a hyperbole but, for some people, it feels quite real. spoiler[Of course, if I have offend anybody, I truly do apologize.]

As for a mark against the show? Well....

As a reviewer, I'm sure Rebecca must feel somewhat obligated to establish Trigger Warnings in her review and, in light of the still relevant topic (doesn't matter if the news stops reporting on it; there are still many family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors who will have to live with this memory for a long time) I believe she wanted to make sure people were aware that this happened in the episode. But I can't speak on her behalf; I'm only giving my view on the subject. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
I also am curious what will happen to Akane after spoiler[the death of her friend.] She probably will spoiler[have to attend some form of therapy or receive some consolation from Kogami.]
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

A similar thing happened to me while "trying" to watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Granted, I saw the show in January long before the March tsunami but just thinking about it now makes me uncomfortable.

I found Fate/Zero difficult to watch because the Gilgamesh's admiration of the blue-eyed, blonde-haired Saber recalled Hilter's admiration of the Aryans.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
As a reviewer, I'm sure Rebecca must feel somewhat obligated to establish Trigger Warnings in her review and, in light of the still relevant topic (doesn't matter if the news stops reporting on it; there are still many family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors who will have to live with this memory for a long time) I believe she wanted to make sure people were aware that this happened in the episode. But I can't speak on her behalf; I'm only giving my view on the subject. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Oh come off it. Like I said, they are completely different crimes. Location, number of victims, type of weapon, type of criminal, motive, response from law enforcement; the list goes on. I hope these sensitive people don't watch the nightly news, especially with all of the coverage of Syria.

If you are the type of person who is so sensitive to trauma that anything violent can set you off, then you probably should not be watching most Anime. But especially a show like PSYCHO-PASS, where in the first episode alone, spoiler[a woman gets beaten, raped and almost killed and her rapist gets exploded into gibs.]

Yes, it looks like Rebecca did feel concerned enough to warn people. But I don't think she needs to put up a warning just because a tiny minority cannot disassociate a fictional animated series from unrelated and dissimilar events in real life.

jymmy wrote:
I found Fate/Zero difficult to watch because the Gilgamesh's admiration of the blue-eyed, blonde-haired Saber recalled Hilter's admiration of the Aryans.

Are you trolling? Nobody's that sensitive. And I do not recall Gilgamesh saying that he admired Saber specifically because of her hair and eyes.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
This show has the most ridiculous premise, its like a poor man's minority report. But the sad thing is the psychic aspect of minority is more plausible or palatable than this coefficient nonsense. I don't know whats more ridiculous that they approved the system or that someone does nothing about it. Clearly it measures things like stress and the like, not the actual probability of committing a crime. I mean I almost stopped watching after a rape victim was considered extermination worthy. Clearly the main character is a criminal waiting to happen, and a kid being judged a latent criminal at 5. Oh and then the villain is magically immune, oops we can't do anything.

Also the fact that Amano did the character style was a bad choice, her style is suited to shonen/battle style manga like reborn, not something dark. Hell main female character is basically haru, which does not instill confidence.

Seriously people are better watching something like Minority report, or even Zettai Karen children over this.

Finally someone just says it out loud that the show is so poor-thought that not everyone could bear beyond the first episode the level of ridiculousness it has. The number of plot holes is so high that you could barely even call it a scenario, and not some "theme-based" random rambling.

Just because the show tries to explore less than superficial aspects of humanity, it is not excuse to be such a failure on the settings and scenario. On the contrary: exactly because this show tries to be serious, requirements for the quality of the whole story are tougher than average. And yet it fails so bad.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

As a reviewer, I'm sure Rebecca must feel somewhat obligated to establish Trigger Warnings in her review and, in light of the still relevant topic (doesn't matter if the news stops reporting on it; there are still many family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors who will have to live with this memory for a long time) I believe she wanted to make sure people were aware that this happened in the episode.[/spoiler]

That's precisely it, Keichitsu. I couldn't find a good place to stick it in the review - I tried a few - and that felt like the only place that it fit. Perhaps it is over-sensitive, but the aspect of spoiler[Akane watching her friend killed before her eyes] felt a little too close to current events, and I really did feel that a warning was needed. I've said it a few times before, but I'm a teacher - perhaps that made this particular event stand out to me more, I don't know.

dtm42, maybe you're right and people with an aversion to violence should simply not be watching this kind of show. But I still felt that I could not in good conscience neglect to mention, in the same way I would have mentioned an earthquake last year, something that current events could cause a traumatic reaction to. Someone may not have been averse to animated violence previously - I know I wouldn't have had the same reaction back in September - and so the warning stands.
NeoBasch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I love the art and animation style. The neon colored backgrounds and cold, dark, dank scenes match the gritty intellectual feel of the series. I also think the story is developing into something truly extraordinary. I'm extremely excited to see what happens next.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like much of the first episode (I mean the idea that people suffering from posttraumatic event should be treated as criminals was ridiculous to me), but the second one made me like more the two leads as Akane spoiler[had shot Kogami to save that poor woman] while Kogami spoiler[actually tells her she did good.]

There have always been several violent series like Gantz, Elfen Lied and Blood-C. I don't see what's wrong with warnings regarding the gory content. Even Clamp had to cancel X/1999 due to its despictions spoiler[of earthquakes.]
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho Pass can be interesting at times episode 11 is a fine example of that but like majority of the anime of 2012 its just to inconsistent for my taste.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

As a reviewer, I'm sure Rebecca must feel somewhat obligated to establish Trigger Warnings in her review

That's precisely it, Keichitsu. I couldn't find a good place to stick it in the review - I tried a few - and that felt like the only place that it fit.

I don't really want to discuss whether the warning is needed or not, but i would have preferred if you had put somehwhere it in the review because now it might look to some people (it sure did to me) like the lack of warning actually influenced the grade...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5