• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utena Review

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:59 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the latest volume yet, but Any fan who complains about the Nanami episodes needs to be sent to comedy reeducation camp.

I'm often frustrated by the dubs, but I generally like the dub VAs for Utena and Anthy. (Not for Nanami, though.) I suspect direction may be the real problem. I remember hearing a Ranma VA in a wonderful dub of a Bergman film, and she did a skillful, nuanced performance like nothing I'd heard he do in Ranma. But Bergman dubs probably have sharp directors, while Ranma dubs have-The Ocean Group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, I mean, I watch a lot of dubs. I mean, a LOT of dubs. I have to. It's part of my job. Most of the time these days I prefer the dub to the sub (Heat Guy J, FLCL, Hellsing, Haibane Renmei, etc), but I just really didn't care for the Utena dub. The acting was piss-poor. It's not that the actors themselves were poorly cast, it's that they can't act.

For the record, I thought the Nanami episodes were pretty funny.

-Zac
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I think Zac's being a bit harsh on the dub VAs, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. At any rate, did you think the movie dub was better? Is the same dub director doing the series?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm an Utena nut and a dub fan in general, and I tend to agree with Zac on this one. The Shadow-Play Girls, Tsuwabuki, Akio, Nanami, Anthy...they're all awful. Anthy especially; she completely misses the point of the character and plays her totally monotone, almost wooden. The only high points are Crispin Freeman's Touga, Rachael Lillis' Utena (although she can't measure up to the original's amazing performance, as the end of this disc made clear), and Lisa Ortiz as Shiori. Everbody else doesn't just turn in poor performances, but they sound like they're reading lines. Since natural delivery is my make-or-break point in dubs, I hate that.
And why are they allowed to mispronounce character names?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1