• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - Convention Tension

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Because the genres don't matter.

*Soapbox*

I don't like relying on some "genre" label in the music;

Okay, Jonathan's gotten himself into a bit of a hot seat. His failure to properly label a few songs does call into question his credentials.

But I think the answers to the question aren't that bad.

To his deffense, in a way that he hasn't thought to mention himself, pop-music genres change so bloody much that it isn't funny. Ten years ago what we called "Techno" and "Euro Techno" are called "Dance" today. What we called "Industrial Techno" is now called "Techno". What is now called "Industrial" wasn't its own genre, what we called electronica is now called "synth" and what is now called "electronica" was called... hmm... can't remember.

But the most important point was already made by Jonathan, knowing what something is labelled is not important in being able to judge it, although it does help when you go to write about it.

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay, Jonathan's gotten himself into a bit of a hot seat. Hi failure to properly lable a few songs does call into question his credentials.

I missed one important point earlier. The purpose of Sound Decision is to suggest whether or not you, the reader, should buy a particular CD release. Since you're the one who's making the ultimate decision, you should have all the information you want about a release, and you should expect it all to be accurate. This isn't about whether or not I appreciate some piece of music; it's about giving you the information to make an educated decision about whether or not you'd like it.

Many people use genres as part of their buying decisions. While I strongly disagree with that approach, I must accept that it's a factor for quite a few buyers and, thus, something I can't continue to ignore. As I've demonstrated, I know much less about the different "genres" of music than I should. I'm capable of enjoying music without regard for the genre, but, again, this isn't about me. Since I clearly lack the background to properly identify basic musical genres, and because my ignorance has the potential to mislead people, I think I need to reevaluate my column.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I think music is probably a very hard thing to review. There is a certain finesse that has to go with constructively criticizing it. Like Jonathan said, genres are very helpful in clumping together music types to better organize them for retail or encyclopedia purposes. However, to solely base one's decision on an album because of its genre is somewhat...ignorant. It doesn't matter, really, if Jonathan knows the exact difference between JPop and Electronica. He knows the difference between what is pleasant to the ear and what isn't. He has listened to the album for your benefit and has given his opinion. If something sounds interesting in his review, go and check it out. If not, then don't. Obviously, if you're a fan of a particular genre, you're probably going to check it out despite what Jonathan writes in his column. He seems to have a pretty solid background in music, in my opinion. I mean, if you didn't, why would you even be allowed to write a column entirely on music? And if people are being mislead by, very rarely, mis-named genres, they are the ignorant ones for purchasing the album without doing some research. Sound Decision is an overview of what's out there in anime music, not something you should live or die by. I don't see anyone knockin' his "Tune-In" choices...so, he must be doing something right! Smile
nyana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't like relying on some "genre" label in the music; it's a poor oversimplification of the sound. Genres are useful when you're trying to categorize a bunch of CDs in a retail store or an encyclopedia, but they do nothing to determine whether or not the music's any good--the goal of my column. I don't care about the genre; I care about the pitch, the tone color, the dynamics, and the duration of a piece. That should cover just about anything. If you use genres to determine whether or not a particular piece of music will appeal to you, I encourage you to expand your horizons and look for the similarities in all music. You'll find a lot more music to enjoy.

Well, you may not know the difference between electronic music and jpop, but your response is simply brilliant. I agree entirely with you that labels only help to deter people from enjoying all of the other wonderful music out there. Unfortunately, the majority of people are enslaved into that way of thinking, and can't break away from referring to labels and enoying music freely. I admire your response and only wish others would start looking at music the same way you do.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I concur. Keep up the great work, Jon; your column is a pleasure to read, genre mislabeling be damned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that I in no way meant to undermine Jon's column. I was attempting to have a discussion with him about electronic music. When he replied back, he used examples that were not electronic music, and then admitted his mistake. I do not consider this a reflection of any sort on his column. I don't have to sit here and heap praise on Jon to make sure he knows I love his work. He already knows that. I wanted a discussion and it went to an unfortunate place.

-Z
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:51 pm Reply with quote
So here's a question for any and all:

What JPop songs would you pick to be covered as heavy metal songs? I'd have to say that the two I've found most promising are Dali's "Moonlight Densetsu" and Masami Okui's "Shu -AKA-"

Any other suggestions for this burgeoning metal superstar? Much obliged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2