• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Apparently, lazy animators are the real problem today and should be replaced by AI

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:43 pm Reply with quote
At least, according to Tomohisa Taguchi.

Quote:
Question to Mr. Hara: You criticized lazy animators, but what about directors quitting during production?

Mr. Hara agreed that there are some of them. But, when they are on the brink of collapsing because of work, you can’t blame them for quitting. However, for those quitting with the money just for the sake of personal interest, Mr. Hara said that they are scum.

Question to both of them: What do you think about the use of AI in animation production?

Mr. Taguchi answered that he thinks that from now on, we’ll use AI more and more. Chat GPT, the program that impressed everyone, himself included, can be used during the writing process. Maybe it can’t write complete scenarios itself yet, but it can definitely help in developing stories. Mr. Taguchi added that this is just the beginning, and if these technologies improve enough, they could be able to resolve the problem with animators Mr. Hara was referring to.

Mr. Hara jumped in, saying he totally agreed with his colleague. AI could solve the problem of lazy animators by doing their work in their place. Plus, some motivated animators with the will to beat AI may appear. He thinks a time might come when AI, which doesn’t complain, doesn’t get tired and doesn’t sleep, would replace humans… But he said his generation is safe, but maybe Mr. Taguchi should worry. For him, “It’s NOT TODAY, as Maverick said in Top Gun”.

Link to full article/interview: https://fullfrontal.moe/taguchi-hara-annecy2023/
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:02 am Reply with quote
AI writing scares me more than animation since you will never be able to tell if a story had ai """assisted""" writing. I don't give a shit about "ideas are a dime a dozen", I want stories where humans decided what happens next and used their imagination. AI generated stories seems like some kind of addictive simulation of being a pantser where you get to discover where """"your""" story goes without even writing it meaning its a surprise for you reading it. Except you never wrote it, it's not your story.

Depending on how cynical I'm feeling, my mood ranges from "good thing civilisation's going to collapse soon" to "lord I'm never consuming an anime made after the date 20XX excluding the obligatory final, final, final miyazaki movie" again.
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not completely against the idea of using AI to, like, fix grammatical mistakes and whatnot, but it should be a tool to help artists, not replace them.
Boughtsed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:46 am Reply with quote
Creative ideas belong to animators. AI cannot think of imaginative and creative ideas, in my opinion. You know, most of the AI tools are trained by large data, which are existing facts but not creative new things. AI just combines and imitates the features in the data but cannot have its own style, like the brush of Van Gogh.

For example, one of the AI art tools I used is picso, it can draw Van Gogh style art, but it never gives me a style surpassing that.

So, AI will not replace creative-thinking animators. But it may replace those who stop thinking but always do the same work.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
I work for a TV and film production company and my boss is convinced we'll all be out of work in five years. I think that is overly pessimistic, but change is 'a-comin'. We are not far from the time when a single person - with the help of AI tools - will be able to create high quality, commercially viable, fictional content, live-action or animated (or a blend) entirely by themselves, whether that's movies, TV series or anything else.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I think it's too early to predict how creative AI will ultimately be. In the short term, instead of completely replacing human input, I think we'll see the rise of "AI whisperers" - i.e. humans using AI tools - to create content.

I don't think we are far away from programs where ordinary joes and janes like you and me will say to it: "Use these images of people I know and some famous people and make me a 90 minute movie set in Venice during the 15th century that's basically a thriller with a strong love story" and the program will whip up something. Whether that something is anything anybody wants to watch is, of course, an open question.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think it's too early to predict how creative AI will ultimately be. In the short term, instead of completely replacing human input, I think we'll see the rise of "AI whisperers" - i.e. humans using AI tools - to create content.

I don't think we are far away from programs where ordinary joes and janes like you and me will say to it: "Use these images of people I know and some famous people and make me a 90 minute movie set in Venice during the 15th century that's basically a thriller with a strong love story" and the program will whip up something. Whether that something is anything anybody wants to watch is, of course, an open question.

My guess is most would be comedy/meme fodder and not worth much else. Even as the AI and chat bots etc get more advanced, they still will lack critical nuance. In the end though the whole thing is about money. The more companies (on average) can use AI and pay workers less the happier they are. Scan someone's face and voice and then never pay them again. Even if the bot movies bomb they didn't pay millions and millions to staff and actors so the monetary loss would probably be greatly lessened in the event of box office bombs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1