• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pocket watch from Noir.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:33 am Reply with quote
Anyone ever try to find the pocket watch from the 2001-2003 Noir anime? I think it was the Baddest amine pocket watch ever made. I was looking for one for nearly 10 years. You can find 20 or more at any given time from Fairy Tail, one piece, FMA, Black Butler, etc. but Never a Noir watch. I was lamenting this sad state of affairs last month when someone PM'd me from somewhere about one up on a site in Japan. Sure, my Japanese is about as good as my Chinese or Korean, but I looked up the site. It was Zen Market, 60,000 yen ($421) Whoa, but not as high as one I saw many years ago at over $700.

There was a link to it on Yahoo Japan, I went there and the site had some English on it, including how to buy it from overseas. Being in the US that would apply to me. There was a buyout price and it was the same 6,000 yen. OK, no waiting, I bought it the buyout price. Then the fun began. I ended up on buyee, a sort of broker in japan that collected "won" items and shipped them out. It took about 17 days and a sky high $55 or for insured and (way) overpacked shipping but it arrived last week. It was running. Came with the black case, outer cardboard box and a chain. No music but I have the DVD set if I want to hear / watch it and I also have the 3 soundtrack CDs.

I was a long wait but worth it. I'll try to post a pic, but It's been a while. This is a pic of the watch I bought from the auction site. I have taken pics of it here, but they are on my local HDD only:

Last edited by guildmaster on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:25 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Anyone ever thy to find the pocket watch from the 2001-2003 Noir anime? I think it was the Baddest amine pocket watch ever made. I was looking for one for nearly 10 years...I was a long wait but worth it.
https://auctions.c.yimg.jp/images.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/image/dr000/auc0501/users/81f37f8993cd7089c92050ef281c5d83e7506fb4/i-img1122x1200-1704593051dhq8pb469375.jpg

Nice watch.
That watch was made by Son Vent, a company in Osaka that makes watches and clocks, and Movic, a company that belongs to the Animate group, dealt in it when the Noir anime was broadcast.
I think that the retail price was spoiler[¥8,000 or so plus the tax.]
It might not be a bad idea to put that watch in a waistcoat pocket of your three-piece lounge suit and to sometimes enjoy leisurely checking the time on the watch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:58 pm Reply with quote
That is a sweet watch, for sure. Thanks for posting a picture of it. I didn't realize there were anime pocket watches out there, to be honest.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:41 am Reply with quote
That's gorgeous. Shame it doesn't play the music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:15 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
That's gorgeous. Shame it doesn't play the music.

There is a rumour that there was one that played the music (and didn't tell time), but I cannot find any confirmation of that. I'm happy with this one.

I have one other pocket watch, a gift from my then fiance ( now boss lady!) when I graduated college way back. I keep that one running and use my granddad's watch chain for it. This one will definitely see some regular use with its own chain. I do have vested suits that I sometimes wear.

Last edited by guildmaster on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That is a sweet watch, for sure. Thanks for posting a picture of it. I didn't realize there were anime pocket watches out there, to be honest.

There are dozens of newer series that have pocket watches, Fairy Fail, one piece, naruto, full metal alchemist, black butler to name a few. Any steam punk themed series will likely have a pocket watch. I think it's a Japan thing. More so now than 20-25 years ago.

But Noir was made before it was a thing, and very few were made, and they pretty much didn't get out of Japan. And, it was part of the actual plot / storyline of the series as well.

And I like the design of the two maidens with long swords better than any logo from any modern series.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:52 am Reply with quote
Was it the only one on sale?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Was it the only one on sale?

It's the only one I've seen in nearly 10 years - anywhere. I have a constant ebay saved search on this and only once - many years ago - did a watch show up and of course I was away on a combat zone deployment when it popped up, so I didn't see it until it had long since ended. I do remember the asking price - abound $700.

Occasionally a poster of Mirelle and Kirika will show up with them and the watch, but that's been it for years.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:47 am Reply with quote
One of the problems when searching for an anime pocket watch is that you have the word "watch" in the search. Every search engine comes up "watch xxx series now" or something similar. That makes it 10x harder to find what you are looking for - if it's even out there...
lumenotaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
my little brother and I loved this show back in the day I've been meaning to rewatch it-such a cool watch!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1