• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Duke of Death and His Maid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:02 am Reply with quote
I should probably watch season 1 over to see if there were any casual mentions that I've forgotten. I haven't actually made a chart, but if I did, the words "Viktor's father" and "Viktor's grandfather" would have big red question marks stamped on them. There's a conspicuous absence of detail surrounding their situations. I've been thinking Sade might have had some kind of fatal attraction thing going on with someone in Viktor's family line (and I haven't ruled out his mother either) but the fact that so much has been left unsaid about the dukes and former dukes seems suspicious.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:10 am Reply with quote
Oh, and as to Viktor killing Rob II, see, the clone was viscous as well as vicious, and it's slimy, malleable form oozed between the openings of Viktor's jacket and shirt and made contact with his navel.

Or...no, wait, ..it was half liquid, so when the moisture permeated Viktor's clothes, the death curse transmitted.

(I'm going to keep saying that makes perfect sense until I believe it.)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
The real question is what sort of rules Sade lives by. Like the duke said, many of Sade's decisions make little sense and some even make things trickier for her. I suppose that there is some twisted love type thing due to her having fallen for the former duke yet that does not nearly explain all of it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:27 am Reply with quote
The third episode was a more calm one, there were still some developments but it also provided some slice of life fun. It is ironic that I complained towards the end of the first season about how there was too much slice of life and not enough progress and yet there has been so much progress recently that I am glad for a calm episode.

I especially like that we are slowly getting more details about some of the more neglected characters and the duke family as a whole.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Yah, the continuity and the character progression have been so consistent that I'd probably choose this anime if I could only watch one this season. It's not my favorite anime episode for episode, but I'm so committed in watching these characters struggle their way to some well deserved happiness that I don't know if I could put it aside.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't given it any thought before, but now I'm wondering if Rob was telling something close to the truth about having a laser eye under his patch. Very Happy And I'm also calling it that the ghost-detecting glasses are going to come into play at some point, like the mysterious box from S2E6 did so poignantly in this episode.

I'm getting a kick out of Walter's fervent devotion to his love of crossdressing, to the point that he's now willing to defy his mother on that issue. And Alice was in top form with her flirting this episode.

It's a real testament to the writing of this series that somehow they've made me not only begrudgingly tolerate, but positively delight in Viola's shenanigans. She was very nearly a breaking point for me early on. I don't even find her voice annoying anymore.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:07 am Reply with quote
I thought the mysterious box might be some kind of dark secret that Rob was keeping under wraps in season 2. I thought so again for a second when he smacked Viola's hand away, but then it turned out to be benign.

This show has a motif for turning things that seem menacing into benign phenomenon. Walter...Daleth...the visiting wizards who wound up inviting Viktor and Alice to the academy..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 am Reply with quote
Ep 4

Called it, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. Very Happy I love how committed Alice is to denying that she can see ghosts.

So are all the cats out of the bag now? Unless I'm forgetting something, which is probable, all that's left for the rest of the season is to resolve the various issues, maybe learn a little more about Viktor's father (is he still alive but absent?), and break the curse.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, Viktor's father is basically on his deathbed and presumably unable to walk around. That doesn't mean he doesn't have his own hidden story to be revealed, naturally. Ditto with Alice's never seen father.

I'm just praying that Viktor's dad never being seen, and Alice's dad never being seen, and Viktor's dad having a strange disease that's kept him bedbound most of his life, and Alice being born with a strange disease....,I just hope there's no overlap. Or if there is, I hope the overlap is that the disease is a curse cast by Alice's father in both cases. The fact that Alice can see ghosts suggests that her father might be a witch or a wizard,

I have to say, Sade is one twisted pretzel. Being insanely jealous of Sharon because she reminded Viktor of Liz is one thing, the key word being "insanely.". But cursing an infant one generation removed from Viktor is a whole other level of vindictive. And the fact that she waited until Viktor died to do it because she didn't want him hating her for it makes her a vicious coward to boot.

Edited cos the first timeI said Daleth when I meant Sade

Last edited by Edjwald on Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 was one of the best and most important episodes of the series thus far. We finally have a complete picture thanks to some very well done storytelling. I found it rather ironic how Sade did indeed come to love someone just as much as she loves herself, the way it ended was just horrible due to bad communication and jealousy though. The moment with Rob putting on the glasses and seeing his former friends was also a tad more hard hitting than I expected.

As for Sade, she went way too far with her jealousy turning to hatred spiel yet it would indeed be nice to see her get a decent ending. As for the sickness overlap, you might be on to something Edjwald yet it might be a bit too much to add that onto everything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3