• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wonderful Precure! Episodes 1-12 Anime Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
I don't plan on watching Wonderful as it airs because I've watched the last four as they did and I don't want to burn myself out. I might watch this once it finishes though, and it does seem cute. Though...Nyammy? Really? Sorry, but I can't get over just how stupid and ridiculously juvenile that name is. It's like Toei is running out of Cure name ideas.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:34 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I'm glad people enjoyed the dog information! I may or may not have checked out a dog breed encyclopedia every week from the school library in middle school and basically memorized it... Laughing

Same hat, though also with cat breeds.

(Was never big on cars, dinosaurs, or airplanes or any of the other boy stuff except for sports and cartoons. Puppies & kitties though? Heck yeah!)
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:53 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I don't plan on watching Wonderful as it airs because I've watched the last four as they did and I don't want to burn myself out. I might watch this once it finishes though, and it does seem cute. Though...Nyammy? Really? Sorry, but I can't get over just how stupid and ridiculously juvenile that name is. It's like Toei is running out of Cure name ideas.

To me, I would do the same but after Hirogaru Sky, I really wish I can skipped Wonderful because of Pretty Cure burnout from the last recent seasons like Healing Good and Tropical Rouge, didn't care for Delicious Party at all due to uninteresting and not a food fanboy.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Though...Nyammy? Really? Sorry, but I can't get over just how stupid and ridiculously juvenile that name is. It's like Toei is running out of Cure name ideas.

Besides Pretty Cure being a juvenile show, I think Nyammy is cute.

Certainly is creative for a cat Cure.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote
And they had to assure the kiddies she's cute, friendly and loveable... after she beats the tar out of a monster and almost kicks another Cure in the face.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I probably should have clarified that I don't personally find the pacing too slow - I like it, honestly. But I can also see how that might be a deal breaker for some viewers and I wanted to acknowledge that.

Ah, understood, I assumed at the end I was misunderstanding, so that's good to know.
FireChick wrote:
Though...Nyammy? Really? Sorry, but I can't get over just how stupid and ridiculously juvenile that name is. It's like Toei is running out of Cure name ideas.

I'm sorry you really have to have a bit more self awareness here. Precure is for three year old girls. Calling it juvenile is like saying the puzzles in Blues Clues are too easy.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorry you really have to have a bit more self awareness here. Precure is for three year old girls. Calling it juvenile is like saying the puzzles in Blues Clues are too easy.

I'm well aware of Precure being a kids show, thank you, and that's not my issue with it. Even by kids show standards, Nyammy just sounds like a made-up baby word, making it really hard to take her as a character seriously, and there were a ton of other nouns Toei could have used for her Cure name. But that's really my only issue with Wonderful.
Essedess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:20 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Even by kids show standards, Nyammy just sounds like a made-up baby word, making it really hard to take her as a character seriously, and there were a ton of other nouns Toei could have used for her Cure name. But that's really my only issue with Wonderful.

Are you nuts? It's a show for children. A cat goes "nyaa". A cat who becomes a human would 100% pick that name. What's wrong with you?
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:40 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Even by kids show standards, Nyammy just sounds like a made-up baby word, making it really hard to take her as a character seriously, and there were a ton of other nouns Toei could have used for her Cure name. But that's really my only issue with Wonderful.

No that's actually fine for the age demographic the show is for. Especially Precure who had Cure Yum Yum two years ago. Nobody who the show is actually made for would have an issue with it factually.
Essedess wrote:
Are you nuts? It's a show for children. A cat goes "nyaa". A cat who becomes a human would 100% pick that name. What's wrong with you?

While you're right that's a little harsh, maybe they don't actually know how young Precure is meant to be for. I know a lot of people who mainly watched during the Heartcatch era who thought it was for teenagers.
YackDe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Heartcatch had fairies pooping out coins. We've had multiple episodes across different series about the importance of eating vegetables. For the longest time movies were built around telling kids to wildly gesticulate with a wand in the theater. Precure has been very transparent about who its target audience is since the beginning.
Regalli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a franchise aimed at young kids. We know this because they sell costumes of the Cure outfits and they're sized for kids, oh, I'd say ages four to eight or so.

And two of the four Cure names have puns in them. "Nyammy" because cats go Nya, "Wonderful" because dogs go "wan", and they make a one/wan joke in the transformation sequence itself. The still-upcoming Cure Lillian's apparently also a pun on "lily-yarn", used for knitting (with the Cure herself being very crafty and the human partner of Nyammy, a cat who transforms into a human for the purposes of being a magical girl.) They just went for very punny names this season. It's cute.

Honestly, sometimes you do have to take a step back and acknowledge that this is in fact a children's show, aimed at children. This is also my opinion on the physical fights thing - Pretty sure they're trying not to encourage kids to lash out at wild animals (who are likely to react back with violence.) Prevent animal abuse AND kids getting mauled. I do not blame them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:58 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that "Nyammi" is a weird name for a Cure. Especially one with a serious and somewhat callous personality like Yuki has been shown to be. I don't even know what it's supposed to mean? Since Wonderful is a pun with Wan I was expecting there to be a better or more clever sounding pun, Nyammi just sounds like they gave up. They could've gone with something like "Lunya" to tie up with her color scheme. Or find some portmanteau with "snow" or a related word to also tie it up to her name. Idk I definitely wish they'd done something different there, I really don't feel like it matches her character
Essedess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't even know what it's supposed to mean?

Seriously? You don't get what NYAAmi is supposed to mean? You don't get what the name of a character who for 8 episodes had only one line: NYAA? For real?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hey, now. Things are getting a little testy here. Be polite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
I figured it was Nya + Yummy, but maybe I'm just hungry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3