• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bartender Glass of God (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 am Reply with quote
The running back story is doing a good job linking the...what's the alcohol version of a foodie? A drinkie? I'm guessing alcoholic wouldn't be the right term. Anyway, the running back story is doing a good job linking the stories about drinkies so that the episodes don't feel disjointed or stand alone, and I like the tone. Kind of melancholy but bolstered by an underlying warmth. This anime makes a pretty good chaser to Konosuba and its antics after a hard day's work.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for a Bartender x Snack Basue crossover episode... I wonder how long they are going to drag out the pursuit of Sasakura by the gals. Not that it makes any difference story wise, but for some reason my vaguely OCD-ish nature is being irked by the delay. Unless the conceit is that he'll never accept the position. Guess we'll find out.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Its been a while, but I think I'm enjoying this more than the original incarnation. I don't know if you could really call it narrative exactly, but the embrace of continuity episode to episode makes the events feel more meaningful than the very intentional extremely episodic nature of the previous adaptation. Your drinking with characters and learning more about them, rather than seeing a series of cut outs receive instant revelation via alcohol.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote

Although the episode title is just one phrase, the episode structure is like the second week where there were two separate story arcs. It's easy to relate to, even if viewers aren't top-level professional chefs or trainee bartenders.

Following on from last week's theme about the "perfect cocktail", the first arc looks at the issue from a different angle: the terroir. There are a lot of restaurants worldwide which import their raw materials to prepare their dishes, and this episode explains why some restaurants put great store into the source of their ingredients. Our chef this week takes it to the extreme, which is why he has to compromise before he can work for the Kurushima hotel. It's a clever episode, as it forces the younger Kurushima's manager Kamishima to try out Edenhall's offerings for himself as a prelude to asking for help (and in so doing motivating him to try harder to secure Sasakura's services) as well as displaying the older Kurushima's shrewdness in getting the one bartender in Tokyo who can significantly influence the sales pitch because of his personal experience training in Paris.

The second part shifts the focus again to bartenders, and it's a 180 degree turn from last week where there's a "perfect" cocktail that can only be made a certain way. Another reminder that being a bartender isn't just an occupation, it's an art form. Simply following the methods used by other bartenders before you isn't enough to impress patrons, so Kyoko has to find out the hard way what her chosen profession really entails. In a way she's lucky Sasakura and Yuri are happy to show her the ropes (even if the former is a harsh taskmaster) as she'd probably drive herself into a rabbit hole without the right advice to guide her to that "eureka" moment which Sasakura and Yuri have already experienced in this aspect of the job. The "character" of a cocktail is also at odds with Kuzuhara, whose character is "perfection" but doesn't allow for variations in preparation. The second part also shows off more of Sasakura's past, as he worked under the Hell's Arms bar owner previously and certainly took his advice about having a eye for observation to heart. Sasakura doesn't seem bothered about it, but it appears other bartenders (not on Kuzuhara's level) rate him highly as well as his former mentor uses his occupational moniker when referring to him.

I didn't expect the James Bond martini to make a cameo this episode, but it's just part of the unusual alcohol highlights this episodes (aged Mirin, different martini styles).

Just the one phrase for next week's title, and if it implies what I think it is we might see even more of Sasakura's background prior to his establishment at Edenhall. That will be interesting, as is the continued lessons we receive in the history of alcohol and cocktails which are delivered as part of the viewing experience.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering about the bartender competition whose mention got dropped like a lead football with the words "I'm going to play a role in the future" pasted on it in glitter..
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote
This has developed nice slice of life show that takes the focus on an interest of many "cute girl shows", but uses an adult interest in alcohol and a cast of working professionals. I'm really enjoying it, its a change to the formula that basically improves it.

The bar as a place people return to and enjoy, not the home of an episode of the week alcohol mystic, definitely makes this my preferred adaptation. If I was a real optimist, I'd hope for an episode set in Paris.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I'm wondering about the bartender competition whose mention got dropped like a lead football with the words "I'm going to play a role in the future" pasted on it in glitter..

Somehow I am getting flashbacks to a certain cooking anime that had people make all sorts of crazy reactions due to how good the food is. This show is less over the top of course, though a competition could be fun and educational.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Eilavel wrote:
This has developed nice slice of life show that takes the focus on an interest of many "cute girl shows", but uses an adult interest in alcohol and a cast of working professionals....

It seems that there is an unwritten code in anime not to show underage drinking?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote

I guessed wrong about the title meaning and the purpose of the episode. Nonetheless, it's an interesting episode in its own right as we find out more about the other bartenders, notably Bar K's understudy Kelvin Chen.

Following on from the request made by Kuzuhara, our younger group of bartenders enjoy a Yamazaki distillery tour in high summer. Good thing there's a hotel entrepreneur who has strings he can easily pull. The granddaughter tags along because she has a related errand to run, but it's probably for business purposes as well as they're still trying to hire Sasaki for their counter bar. Notably, the distillery uses the Suntory name as-is, product placement indicates the franchise has its seal of approval from the official alcohol manufacturers. An interesting real-life coincidence is the recent legislation concerning genuine Japanese whiskeys, which the Suntory Yamazaki is definitely a leading specimen of.

Anyone who's been to a distillery tour will find a lot of the details showcased familiar, so the franchise instead focuses much of the episode on Bar K's understudy. Unlike the other bartenders, his background is very different as he doesn't have the same eye for customer service and small talk. Although we are not told how he ended up at Bar K, one can guess the motive after seeing his background. We are also not told what really happened to the Takeya inn, but it's clear Chitose did rebel against her mother's wishes and refused to take over the business. Although the pair did rebel against their parents' wishes, Chen has never forgiven himself for breaking the promise they made. Speaking with Sasaki and the younger Kurushima seems to have helped him get over it somewhat, although it remains to be seen if his bar demeanour is going to change while he apprentices under Kuzuhara.

Seeing Yuri and Kyoko hit the Kyoto bars hard is a change, as the latter didn't seem too pleased with Yuri when they first met because the former had progressed along her chosen career much further than her for the same length of time. Both of them are taking part in the competition, so that's likely an episode that will feature at some point during this adaptation.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:17 am Reply with quote
What a lovely episode, a fair bit of interesting history and a mature story about choices not made. In the case of the latter I liked that the episode did not have Chitose just show up out of nowhere, there might be a follow up in the future but for now things stay as a what if.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 am Reply with quote
Yah, this has been a consistently pleasant slice of life show so far. It's my chillax show of the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2