• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Manga Guide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cmdr_Pirx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:59 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why you would give Initial D to reviewers who are clearly not the target audience. With a complete and longstanding anime adaptation, everyone intending to pick this up knows what they're getting into. I was hoping to hear more details about how this edition (and translation specifically, do they keep the names?) compares to the previous. Even a discussion about how the manga compares to the anime (Shigeno's art style for humans is... something) would be warranted.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Cmdr_Pirx wrote:
I was hoping to hear more details about how this edition (and translation specifically, do they keep the names?) compares to the previous.

I haven't read either translation of the manga in-depth, but I can confirm the new edition uses the original names.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am Reply with quote
@Cmdr_Pirx

The target audience for Initial D is fairly small. It is likely that ANN does not have a reviewer that falls in that category. It is also unlikely that a reviewer would just have a copy of the old Tokyopop edition lying around to compare translations. For that you will have to wait for a fan of the series to get online.
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Cmdr_Pirx

The target audience for Initial D is fairly small.

False. Check the bookshelf at your local Walmart if you need proof.
scanlines

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote
That introduction by AJ for The Town of Pigs sure is... something. It's an obtuse, personal horror story that is rather short with an abrupt ending. The Saya becomes a Sadist manga is cute. it may be superficial, but it has enough enticing spice to make those reading it possibly incorporate it in their personal lives in a safe and caring way. Oh well, can't please 'em all.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Recipe for A Wild Last Boss Appeared!

[…]

(Incidentally, all of the recipe ingredients are, in fact, older than this title.)

I respect the attention to historical accuracy -- as in your recipe for The New Gate in the Anime Preview Guide!
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The reviews for A-DO pretty much confirmed my suspicions that this is a heavily Otomo-inspired series. I do like this sort of thing but will probably wait for a few more volumes to come out to decide whether it's worth following. A lot of that will depend on whether or not it can break away from its influences some more.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
Cmdr_Pirx wrote:
I'm not sure why you would give Initial D to reviewers who are clearly not the target audience.

I understand your frustration, but we didn't have anyone on staff who was already an Initial D fan. To do my review justice, I had a fan of the show do a "sensitivity reading" of my review to make sure I didn't say anything that would be totally out of left field to the fans. Anyway, I rated it pretty highly so you can't complain about that. Also, I've started calling my little old Hyundai Sonata a SEL LF (doesn't quite roll off the tongue, I'll admit!) after getting familiar with the way Initial D refers to cars by their trim and generation code.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:08 am Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@Cmdr_Pirx

The target audience for Initial D is fairly small.

False. Check the bookshelf at your local Walmart if you need proof.

A surprisingly high number of high school students - including some that aren't otherwise big anime fans - are also familiar with this one, as I've seen Initial D stickers on student laptops on several occasions in the past few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
To do my review justice, I had a fan of the show do a "sensitivity reading" of my review to make sure I didn't say anything that would be totally out of left field to the fans.

I hope using sensativty readers to review work will become far more common on this website. To be totally honest they could have been used on numerous occasions to avoid a lot of headaches for staff, and more importantly unessarily offending or upsetting readers, including that manga review which was removed entirely from this site.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:46 am Reply with quote
The Otome Heroine's Fight for Survival

If you like girls with guns, girls with swords, and girls with spears, then you will like this. And just like the aforementioned, the girl will be killing bad/evil people.

Since she doesn't have a modern safety net, it is just her against the world. And just like our world there will be a line of people to prey on her. So let the blood flow.

Reading both the light novel and the manga, and yes, the manga adaptation does shorten and cut stuff, but I like having the manga version too.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't know that Lilt's story got licensed.
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Even though the manhwa mentioned in comparison to Bless was True Beauty, which I tried and almost immediately dropped, I'm tentatively interested in Bless all the same since it sounds similar to Makeup Remover, which I adored.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:01 am Reply with quote
I might be interested in reading "Victoria's Electric Coffin." It's sounds like an interesting manga with a decent premise. It seems like a fascinating one to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1