• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Bamboo Blade, Druaga, Dragonaut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
I personally don't hate Gonzo enough for wasting my time that I want to see them burn and crash(although they have wasted my time on certain shows) but if any studio at all had to go, then I'm glad it was them. I certainly like Druaga and feel that it is more the individual director that determines the quality than say the studio(although it seems that higher quality directors go to certain studios).

Also theoretically you could argue that Kyoto has never had a dud. Wink
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
The Nazis were only just introduced in the Hellsing manga at the time that the TV series would have gone into production in Japan. Checking the dates from ANN and Wikipedia, tankoban 4 (the South America arc) came out just before the Japanese TV air dates in 2001, meaning Gonzo would not have had access to that plot information at the time of production. Blaming them for building a story based entirely on the first three volumes (sans the Nazi elements which had only just been introduced so they had no way of knowing where they were going) is sort of unfair. They built a horror anime storyline from a relatively unknown manga series at the time. The fact that the OVAs came in much later was probably due to the TV series putting the series into the public's consciousness, even if it was just as a "hey, I heard this manga is way different than the anime version they put on TV, let's try it out."

I also think it's rather crude to compare justifications for mass rape and enslavement to the opinions about an anime series. Really poor form.

But this is getting seriously off-topic, so I'm done here. If you want to continue this discussion, feel free to PM me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I personally don't hate Gonzo enough for wasting my time that I want to see them burn and crash(although they have wasted my time on certain shows) but if any studio at all had to go, then I'm glad it was them. I certainly like Druaga and feel that it is more the individual director that determines the quality than say the studio(although it seems that higher quality directors go to certain studios).

Also theoretically you could argue that Kyoto has never had a dud. Wink

Kyoto hasn't done enough to say that, but I will say that most of their titles rely on an already well developed fanbase. FMP had the previous show, Key stuff had the games, Haruhi had the light novels, and Lucky Star had Haruhi. Munto, their only original production, doesn't seem to be getting a lot of talk, and their did the OVAs.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I personally don't hate Gonzo enough for wasting my time that I want to see them burn and crash(although they have wasted my time on certain shows) but if any studio at all had to go, then I'm glad it was them.

Now the horse is a level 46 zombie with 4,000 HP and Decaying Breath, Raging Run, and Darkness Stare abilities. See what you've done?
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I also think it's rather crude to compare justifications for mass rape and enslavement to the opinions about an anime series. Really poor form.

I don't even want to bother arguing with you over Hellsing but I would like to point out that you totally misread that. I was making a general comment that people disagree over everything, which is pretty much true.

@wal6pK4Alo

This is why I said theoretically as you could argue by them redoing Munto, which was really only a two part OVA, and making it better would it still be a dud? As for fanbase, that really doesn't matter as much shows already have some sort of fanbase either due to manga or light novels or what have you. You could also argue what qualifies a dud,either financially or critically, and how much of a dud was it.

@Unit

Oh and just because you like a studio doesn't make it law or even good, it just means you like them. Gonzo is not really well liked and if you have problems with that then tough luck, I would suggest signing off the internet. If you want to say I'm beating a dead horse, rather stupidly I might add, by voicing my opinion then an internet forum is not for you.
krelyan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Oh and just because you like a studio doesn't make it law or even good, it just means you like them.

And just because you don't like them doesn't make it "law" either. Razz
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Did I ever say that? It would seem though that due to the fact that they are going under that people obviously didn't like them. I really don't care either way as I previously stated.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
I never said anyone HAD to like Gonzo, or HAD to consider everything they've done a masterpiece. All I'm saying is that there's no need to keep bashing them OVER and OVER and OVER. I don't like when people put words in my mouth...I was just trying to defend a studio that I like and that has hit tough times, not trying to shove them down anyone's throat. But I guess that kind of "indifference" is what you get with people who think anime is this magical free thing that the Internet supplies you with at no charge... Rolling Eyes
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I never said anyone HAD to like Gonzo, or HAD to consider everything they've done a masterpiece. All I'm saying is that there's no need to keep bashing them OVER and OVER and OVER. I don't like when people put words in my mouth...I was just trying to defend a studio that I like and that has hit tough times, not trying to shove them down anyone's throat. But I guess that kind of "indifference" is what you get with people who think anime is this magical free thing that the Internet supplies you with at no charge... Rolling Eyes

You are indirectly doing that though by belittling other people's opinions on the matter though. There are better ways to defend Gonzo then just saying that another person's opinion sucks. You could mention FMP and the great work they did on that or Seto no Hanayome or the great animation job they did on Afro Samurai. Mocking someone else's opinion though shows a lack of knowledge on your part. Some people don't like Gonzo's recent work even after seeing all their previous stuff and feel that Gonzo should go down in flames, which is their educated opinion and they have the right to voice that. As said earlier, I personally don't like how they handle their endings but again I have liked some of their previous works, it's just that IMO there are better studios out there and IMO if one of the worst studios goes belly up, oh well. I would have the same reaction for any company I thought was creating a shoddy product. Just so you know plenty of people did watch Druaga and Blassreiter legally. I personally have bought more than my fair share of Gonzo shows and I don't care either way(I will miss the possibility 2nd season of Seto though) .
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of bashing DB the movie or Transformers. There are some people that are just going to be haters, because there is nothing better to do with their time. It's a tiresome thing to have to read through all of their hate, and they get fueled when you try and argue with them because it gives them more incentive to be a troll.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Reminds me of bashing DB the movie or Transformers. There are some people that are just going to be haters, because there is nothing better to do with their time. It's a tiresome thing to have to read through all of their hate, and they get fueled when you try and argue with them because it gives them more incentive to be a troll.

Jarmel = GATSU 2.0?

Either way, this is getting old, and it's like trying to break through a brick wall with a butter knife. Really, the argument just keeps going in circles, so...what the hell ever.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Jarmel = GATSU 2.0?

Either way, this is getting old, and it's like trying to break through a brick wall with a butter knife. Really, the argument just keeps going in circles, so...what the hell ever.

That's when you start hitting the report buttons or asking mods to lock threads. But that is to their discretion.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
The fact that you have no legitimate response to that and can't articulate your defense of Gonzo in a reasonable manner shows who's the troll.

Btw anyone know how much Funimation pays for this stuff, either through a quarterly or the like?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
No, if I'd responded, you'd just try to throw that argument in my face, too. Like I said, this is really getting pointless, I'm tired, I have classes from 9 to 5, arguing on the Internet is like winning a certain kind of Olympics, etc.

Sooooo...good night, and GONZO bless. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
How does funi decide which shows get song dubs? And why do they always use the same singer whose voice does not work well for every song? Also one singer for songs that should have more then one. It's just really starting to irritate me.

I think for a lot of the songs they make their decision based on whether or not a seiyuu for the Japanese track sang the song or not. If so, often they will have the (or an) English VA do it for the English track. it also has to do with whether or not they want to pay the royalties for the songs. Doing a "cover" of a song is much cheaper than using the original.

Yep, that's true! The last Powerpuff Girls episode explained it:

AARON: It’s almost as if Tears For Fears wrote Everybody Wants to Rule the World for PPG. Who came up with this pairing concept?

CRAIG: I wanted the Mojo quitting sequence to be all Wes Anderson-style - slo-mo walking with the perfect song driving the whole thing. I think I suggested it, or it could have been Lauren, or maybe Derek Bachman - I really can’t remember. I just recall that we were all laughing so hard at the idea. I do remember thinking “this is perfect, I just hope we can get the rights to use it!” Here’s an inside scoop: the reason we had Mojo sing it and not use the original recording is that it costs half as much to license the song if you have someone else perform it. It’s cheaper AND funnier!

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
AFAIK, if you've read Justin's Buried Garbage on dubbed songs, it's not a common practice anymore because of copyright red tape, the only anime I've seen in my collection with dubbed OPs was Magic Knight Rayearth.

See the early Pioneer dubs back when the songs were treated part of the anime license. Heck, Ranma 1/2 created an unofficial band DoCo USA to sing the Japanese seiyuu's DoCo songs.

Then the Japanese music groups wised up. Neutral

nightjuan wrote:

If you removed the awkward fanservice or innuendo and certain bits of violence, I would say Dragonaut's actual intended audience were little kids and leave it at that.

The same thing that ruined the Blue Dragon anime in the West, when the Japanese studio stupidly added risque otaku fodder to what's supposed to be a Microsoft-intended children's series. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17