• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (with completed index)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
For professionals who translate for DVDs, that kind of styling is expected and is standard protocol. I don't understand why fansubbers settle for sticking the tag after the persons name and expect the audience to just simply know what it implies/means.

Perhaps because nearly all the fansub audience knows what they mean? Translators for commercial releases with a wider and less-experienced audience can't make the same assumption.

Personally I find it annoying when something like "Takahashi-san" is translated as "Mr. Takahashi." American English, and perhaps other Western languages, use the equivalent honorifics much less frequently than Japanese does. Including Mr/Miss/Mrs/etc every time someone is referred to as "-san" or "-chan" quickly becomes tedious. The same is true for oni-chan/onee-chan for brothers and sisters. Yuuki hardly ever calls Mirai by her given name; he uses onee-chan instead. Most subs I see, like the version I'm following for TM8.0, replace these constructions with the person's actual name.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
I don't like how at times they change -san into mr or onee-chan into name, in some anime it can cause trouble where a character might keep saying brother but for some reason we know the exact name they are calling out. And I would think something that is more heavy in the japanese culture should also contain the culture of how they address each other in the subtitles. A good example of where this could be confusing might also be if part of the story involved specific changes in addressing each other. For example I found it quite hard that after seeing the fansub Azumanga, I got the DVD and the DVDs removed all of the originals and it felt like I was being censored from the culture.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this episode. It was a tear jerker.
The animation seemed a little lax in some scenes but in other scenes it picked up. I'm really hoping nothing happens to Mari and that they make it to their destinations. After that whole situation with the old man I felt a bit of dread. Keeping promises.

Seems 'Mirai' is learning things the hard way. It's funny that while this show is in a late slot and is supposedly aimed toward an older crowd, yet it could still be acceptable to a younger crowd.

Looking foward to ep. 6.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Episode Six

No. Oh why oh why, after such a fantastic episode five, are we given this? It wasn't horrible, but it pales in comparison to previous episodes. The building falling down, the advent of yet another aftershock, the annoying voice of Aya (who disconcertingly looks so much like Mirai), the cheesy dream sequence, Mari suddenly getting anaemic and then just as suddenly getting better...

Gah, the biggest problem I have was that it just didn't "click" as an episode. Sure, it was good to see Mari get some more background, and the temptation scenes were done pretty well. But even I know that a motorbike that big can carry three people, especially if two of them are children. There was no reason - other than for the sake of the plot - to abandon it.

Also, I notice that not one of them are carrying much in the way of supplies. Yuuki has his little backpack, but that will only take a day's worth of food at best. Mirai has a handbag, but that too won't hold much. Where are the disposable toilets, the rations, and (especially) the water? This is summer, so keeping the fluids up is a must, but they don't seem to be very prepared. If the suburb they are going to is partly on fire, getting rations might be more difficult than they expect.

Finally, I am a little peeved at how my usual sub group don't bother to translate the OP and ED. I'm not asking for karaoke, strictly just the translation. Yeah, I know I'm getting it for free, but it would be nice . . .

Let's hope the next episode is better.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The sixth episode was a bit lacking in the logic department, but they had to fit at least a bit of Mari's backstory into the show. Otherwise I'm sure people would be complaining about the lack of it, and I thought that Mari's sudden, more intense realization of the dangers that her family could be in were well done and may change her attitude during the rest of the series. The bike thing though, that really doesn't make much sense. My guess is that there isn't enough room on the seat for all of them or something along those lines, but that explanation is stretching it.

dtm42 wrote:
No. Oh why oh why, after such a fantastic episode five, are we given this? It wasn't horrible, but it pales in comparison to previous episodes. The building falling down, the advent of yet another aftershock, the annoying voice of Aya (who disconcertingly looks so much like Mirai), the cheesy dream sequence, Mari suddenly getting anaemic and then just as suddenly getting better...

I think your complaint about the aftershocks is a bit unfair. The creators of this show are striving for realism, so just because there have been numerous aftershocks and they aren't as exciting anymore, they wouldn't realistically stop. I would understand if they made a big deal out of the aftershocks even though they are common, but the aftershock in episode 6 served the purpose of wounding Mari and potentially causing danger to the group later on.

I also thought that Aya looked way too much like Mirai, and my first thought when she recognized Mari was "Why is a child working/living at Mari's office?" and then I realized that she was not a child. Hmm.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it was a little choppy, like Mari gets cold.....ok done with that. Mari's head is bleeding.....ok, done with that? Kind of like a hit and forget, it's served it's purpose so now make the injury disappear.
I did like the backstory and how it revealed why Mari was helping the children.

I'm assuming with the bike, they wouldn't be able to all fit on it, but you would think that they would want to sacrifice safety just a little bit to get there faster, or better yet, when they went back to return it, ask for a second bike then?
(Though I guess the kids probably wouldn't know how to operate the bike but still.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
With Yuuki in her lap and Mirai sitting behind her and holding on to her waist, there is no reason Mari could not have taken them with her. That motorbike wasn't big but it wasn't too dingy either. I'm almost certain it could have carried all three of them. They wouldn't be able to go very fast, but it is still better than walking. Heck, even at the tortoise-like rate of 10KPH they would still be travelling more than twice that of walking speed.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
With Yuuki in her lap and Mirai sitting behind her and holding on to her waist, there is no reason Mari could not have taken them with her. That motorbike wasn't big but it wasn't too dingy either. I'm almost certain it could have carried all three of them. They wouldn't be able to go very fast, but it is still better than walking. Heck, even at the tortoise-like rate of 10KPH they would still be travelling more than twice that of walking speed.

Motorcycles/scooters don't magically drive themselves. The idea of attempting to keep a scooter balanced with three awkwardly placed bodies (scooters aren't designed for three, obviously) on roads destroyed or damaged from earthquakes at low speeds is insane. Even a patch of gravel can be disastrous for a normal rider if they are turning as they're going through it. Now, imagine roads that look ten times worse than the worst roads you've ever seen, and imagine dealing with those. Plus, the stability that comes with increased velocity is lost when you're traveling at the slower speeds you suggest. Traveling somewhere between 5-10mph on such uneven, destroyed roads would lead to countless falls. Scooters aren't weightless, either. There's a very large potential for broken bones. If you try to go any faster, you face the risk of serious injury if you do fall (almost certain). I agree with you that episode six was the weakest so far, but Mari's rejection of the scooter plan was not a cause of that.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:

Motorcycles/scooters don't magically drive themselves. The idea of attempting to keep a scooter balanced with three awkwardly placed bodies (scooters aren't designed for three, obviously) on roads destroyed or damaged from earthquakes at low speeds is insane. Even a patch of gravel can be disastrous for a normal rider if they are turning as they're going through it. Now, imagine roads that look ten times worse than the worst roads you've ever seen, and imagine dealing with those. Plus, the stability that comes with increased velocity is lost when you're traveling at the slower speeds you suggest. Traveling somewhere between 5-10mph on such uneven, destroyed roads would lead to countless falls. Scooters aren't weightless, either. There's a very large potential for broken bones. If you try to go any faster, you face the risk of serious injury if you do fall (almost certain). I agree with you that episode six was the weakest so far, but Mari's rejection of the scooter plan was not a cause of that.

Ahh, that makes sense, and I think it was at least shown a bit in regards to the weight of the scooter, it did seem very heavy when the both of them were trying to lug it over to Mari.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Well everyone was complainging about Mari not worried enough over her daughter and the like. This episode mostly dealt with her and that she basicly was not even looking after herself, I would think she was putting her self at risk. With the raise of body tempreture (sick), anemia and that hit to the head, she was putting herself at risk, though she kept going, even the blood magicly disapeared, she must have the anime ability to quickly heal. Plus their curse has returned that when they are somewhere and a quake hapends, something has to fall apart. Maybe it was because of the lack of focus on the kids this episode, at least Mirai got some beter shoes like I thought she should in the previous ep.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people are complaining about the sudden disappearance of Mari's cold and wounds, and I agree with the healing of her head injury. However, I think that Mari's cold is still with her and she is only trying to not let it show. She may have had it for awhile, and when she passed out the cold or illness (since I have really never seen anyone pass out from only a cold) was at its peak. Mari is trying very hard emotionally to hide her worries from Mirai and Yuuki, so I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that she is doing the same with her physical discomforts.

A question for anyone who might know Japanese; while referring to Mari's cold, do the characters call it a common cold specifically or do they just refer to it very vaguely as an illness?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...at least Mirai got some beter shoes like I thought she should in the previous ep.

About that, I thought it strange that Mirai would leave a pair of sneakers in her locker over the holidays. Summer vacation is almost two months long, correct? So why leave clothing at school? Even if they were her shoes for physical education, it still seems odd.
rooneyt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
its a great anime so far , the characters are really well desighned and have very real personalitys .
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
Episode Seven

Well, this episode had too much of Yuuki collapsing, too many run-ins with Kento, and too large a death toll (estimated at 180,000). Hasn't this show heard of an earthquake safety building standard? Sure, an 8.0 magnitude earthquake is very powerful, especially one that occurred so close to Tokyo (a city with 34 million people in its metropolitan region). But the Great Kanto Earthquake was about 8.3 magnitude and killed approximately 100,000 people if deaths from fires and associated damage is taken into account. Indeed, that figure includes 38,000 survivors or the initial quake who then died in a former army clothing depot when it caught fire. Which means that though the population of Tokyo has massively increased since the 1920s (a quick Google search yielded nothing on the historical population of Tokyo), the much much better earthquake engineering and better civil defence/disaster relief should have offset that. So why is the estimated death toll so much higher than a more powerful earthquake which killed a third of its victims in a depot fire?

Anyway, at least we got to see the robots this episode. I have to say, they were well-designed and very plausible, though the larger version has rather delicate-looking fingers for something supposedly capable of lifting a ton in each hand.

Back to Yuuki's sickness, I wonder what he has? The heat-stroke idea was of course plausible, but then it rains and he is still unwell. So they wonder if he's sick because they camped out for a night. Which is kind of stupid, since they were drinking what looked to be bottled water and eating rations. And now he's fainting? I know they want to put more drama into show, but a massive earthquake just struck the world's biggest urban area, surely they have all the drama they need without resorting to mysterious illnesses?

Where is my episode five? I want it back.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
I found this episode alright, less plotholes then last. I realy didn't mind the fact Yuuki getting sick as a plot, I have done some first aid so I was finding it a bit interesting what he might have. If it was heatstroke it is not uncommon that he might have some more problems as heatstroke or heat exhastion is when the body has little water that the body overheats. The act of putting a cool or wet cloth on his head was of proper first aid, aswell as fanning. He may have got something from poor imune system.

It was cool to finaly got to see the robots, and Yuuki was very excited to see them. That boy Mirai's age, Kento, was an interesting addition, sure running into him so muc is quite rare, but the character was a big part. I also liked how at first Mirai called Kento a "robot nerd", of course it fits into social norm that she would insult someone of such an interest. But he seemed quite confident in who he is and his dream, though he did do something stupid. Why does someone do something incredibly dangerous in each episode, even if it is just withholding that they are in pain or feeling sick.

Also isn't the modern day Tokyo much more dangerous for such a quake, with living so close together and the hight of buildings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9